Paul Gaugin Internet Access

Does anyone know how expensive/reliable the public internet access is on the Radisson Paul Gaugin? I may have to do some work while on board (a few minutes a day icon_frown.gif ), and I want to make sure I can access regular emails, web pages, WORD, EXCEL, etc.

How about the availability of public internet cafes on the various Tahiti ports? Again, how expensive/reliable are they?

Any other advice on internet access in Tahiti in general (like in the hotels)?

Thanks!

icon_cool.gifPG does not have internet access. You can send and receive e-mail through the ship. They do have internet cafes ashore, but I'm not sure of the cost. Cell phones don't work down there either. You have to buy a phone card ashore to call the States.

Cost at the Internet Cafes (using Maria Tappas on Moorea as an example) are 250CPF/15min (roughly $3/15 min). Have CFPs if you go to Maria Tappas.

Greg

PS: One keyboard there is a QWERTY and one is a French Standard icon_eek.gif. I was lucky as when I was there with Myriam (Asst Cruise Director) she let me use the QWERTY icon_biggrin.gifwhile she use the French.

USNA72

Hope this helps.

Computers. The guest computers will be available for guest use for e-mail purposes. The computers DO NOT have Internet access. There are two computers located in the card room on Deck 5.

Sending e-mail from the ship. You can send e-mail from the ship directly to your e-mail address.

Incoming e-mail to passengers. The e-mail address of the ship is: gauguin@cruise-mail.com. Always indicate the name and cabin number of the person you are trying to e-mail in the subject line. The ship receives the e-mails and prints them out for the passengers.

Picking up your e-mail. Incoming e-mail is printed by the ship and delivered to your cabin.

The cost. The charge for incoming or sending e-mail is $1.00 per 1K of message information per recipient. For example, a 2k message to 3 e-mail addresses would be $6.00.

Reply Function. Since each e-mail is charged according to size, it is better if someone replying to you does not use the “reply†function but generates a whole new e-mail; otherwise, you will be charged for the e-mail that you originally sent along with the reply from them. No sense paying twice. This page is about 2-3K of information, hence about $2-3 to send to one recipient. If you send to multiple recipients, you are charged for every e-mail address individually.

INTERNET

There is no Internet access on the Paul Gauguin, only e-mail.

Cfp 250 approximately $2.00.

Internet Cafés in Tahiti

Papeete

Tiki Soft "Cyber" Café

Pont de l'Est in Papeete

Hours: Monday – Friday: 7:30 a.m. – midnight; Saturday: 6:00 p.m. – 1:00 a.m.; Sunday: Closed.

Cost: 250 cfp per 15 minutes (approx. $2.50 USD per 15 minutes)

Moorea

Moorea Vision

Cook's Bay

Cost: 500 cfp per 30 minutes (approx. $5.00 USD per 30 minutes)

Maria Tapas – Cyber Bodega – this is where the crew goes as it is so close to the ship. After exiting tender and get to the main road make a left – it is about a 10-minute walk on the right-hand side in a building – it is actually a café. Keyboard is different. Slow connection.

Cost: 250 cfp per 15 minutes

Moorea Net

Across from Club Med

Cost: 500 cfp per 15 minutes (approx. $5.00 USD for 15 minutes)

Bora Bora

One terminal located in the Patisserie just north of ferry dock in Vaitape. Sorry, I do not have prices but probably similar to those listed above.

There is also an internet cafe if you head to the right after arriving on Moorea. It is not within walking distance, but convenient to the road up to Belvedere if you rent a car. We paid about $60.00 for an airconditioned, automatic car for the afternoon. This allowed us to circle the entire island, drive up to Belvedere point to experience the spectacular view, and make a quick stop at the internet cafe. The keyboard was French. The satelite connection was down on the PG during the entire week.

Thanks for the comprehensive message. Since internet is NOT available on the PG, sounds like I'll have to do my internet work (more than just email, need actual web access) on the various ports. Do each of the PG port stops have ready access to internet (in each town)? Do we dock near them?

Thank you.

Archived