Is expensive air travel changing your cruise plans?

kelmac

I booked a Baltic cruise on the Eclipse next July. I've been looking at June, 2015 prices, LAX to LHR (still too early for July prices), nearly $3000 for 2.

I paid over that for LAX to FCO, July of this year for a Med cruise on Reflection. That was from Choiceair. If I cannot figure a way to lower the air cost, I'm just not gonna go.

I plan on taking more car driving trips and less cruises if this trend of sky high airfares continues.

Looking at price breakdown....lot of the cost is taxes.

We usually travel 10 -- 12 weeks of the year, with two, three or four cruises thrown into the mix. Celebrity is our favorite cruise line, but getting to MIA or FLL is getting very expensive. (Elite Plus with Celebrity)

I just cancelled a cruise out of MIA for next March (Reflection) and replaced it with an NCL (Yuck!) cruise out of Houston. Not in the same league, but we can get a balcony cabin, at inside Celebrity prices, as well as an "Ultimate Dining" package and eat all of our meals in alternative restaurants. Round trip to MIA is running north of $870 out of ABQ; we can do HOU for under $400 R/T.

In addition, we booked a Thanksgiving cruise on Royal Caribbean, out of Galveston. Air costs are always expensive at that time of the year, but MIA or FLL is just out of the question. My wife is a teacher, so we are limited to her periods of unemployment during the school year.

Anyone else having problems with air fares effecting their cruise budget?

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Have you thought of using Choice Air when you book your cruises? We always do. In fact, we are on the Constellation's sailing November 5th from Rome to Fort Lauderdale. We booked our flight using Choice Air. The tickets from Chicago to Rome $524.00 p.p. We could not touch that price booking directly through the airline nor could we find a price or schedule that worked searching several travel sights. The other thing is if your flight is cancelled or delayed or if the ships itinerary changes Choice Air will move your tickets for you and get you on another flight. If you book your own tickets you don't have that luxury. At least this has been our experience.

Enjoy your cruise!

I tried using Choice Air this morning as I found the fares to be a lot cheaper. While talking to the customer service rep at Choice Air and being put on hold several times, the fare went up twice. I couldn't believe it but it is true. Don't believe the prices you see online. I finally made reservations directly with the airlines, online, and they are out of sight. There was no savings by doing this but at least it is done now. I think this is going to be a factor in the future. The airlines are charging way too much. If we could drive to the cruiseport it would be a help but the closest port would be Boston for us.