Will the viral issues cause ccl to change from Carib

bitemyfly

I live on an island off the east coast of PR. Yes, they have declared it an epidemic but there have only been 400 confirmed cases in PR. Yes, our island has had a few.

If cruise lines started shifting their itineraries to exclude islands that have had confirmed cases, the Caribbean cruise market would go away completely.

Jamaica confirmed their first case yesterday and we can thank a resident of St Martin for all of this. He traveled to Africa and came home with it.

BTW. The way it transmits is that if you are bitten by an infected mosquito obviously you will contract it. Then if another mosquito bites you (non-infected mosquito) that little bugger will get it and around and around it goes.

I have lived here 10 years and have had dengue twice. My last bout was last month. The good thing about dengue is that there are only 4 strains. Once you catch one, you are immune. So in essence I only have 2 more strains to go :)

Please correct me if I'm wrong! I live in Canada and I'm pretty sure we can't buy bug repellant with DEET in it? I thought it was outlawed or something. Can we buy it in Florida before we cruise in December?

Terry

Florida has two confirmed cases as of early this week

I'm a bit of a germaphope so the Carib is out of bounds for me this summer

First In 30 years lol

I think this is just getting attention and could blow up

If the cdc gets involved who knows perhaps some warning that gets picked up on a slow news day

For the bargain hunters out there this could mean good news

This may be a stupid question but how do you apply it? When you are out in the sun do you put sunscreen and then Deet or visa versa. I have also done a google search and found that they really don't mix that well. Any thoughts or suggestions? Should we just get the sunscreen with repellent and if so is that with Deet? I hate this is happening but such it is.

Florida has two confirmed cases as of early this week

I'm a bit of a germaphope so the Carib is out of bounds for me this summer

First In 30 years lol

I think this is just getting attention and could blow up

If the cdc gets involved who knows perhaps some warning that gets picked up on a slow news day

For the bargain hunters out there this could mean good news

I just noticed you're in the Tampa bay area. What part? St. Petersburg here.

I'll admit, that even with the viruses we do have in Florida I don't use any mosquito repellants here. When I do the southern Caribbean this fall though, I probably will just to be on the safe side. I guess I'm not as concerned about getting sick at home as I am on vacation.

Please correct me if I'm wrong! I live in Canada and I'm pretty sure we can't buy bug repellant with DEET in it? I thought it was outlawed or something. Can we buy it in Florida before we cruise in December?

Terry

Terry, insect repellant with DEET is still available in Canada. Health Canada just limited the amount of DEET in the repellant to 30% maximum. They didn't ban it completely. FWIW 30% concentration should be plenty strong. Most of the insect repellants available in the U.S. range from 10%-40% DEET, and they're all pretty effective. I have seen some products up to 98% DEET here as well. Hope that helps. :)

When we booked the Valor out of San Juan for a Jan 2015 cruise, a few months later, in March, we received an email from CCL about mosquito born infections, specifically for Yellow Fever if travelling to Barbados (which our itin included).....they said to check the CDC site and that when entering Barbados, for example, Barbados will require a certificate of immunity from certain pax from specific locations (US was not one of them tho).....so this has been going on for some while. The mosquito born infections are everywhere....just some new ones cropping up each season. We have them in the US, they have them in the Caribbean....just take precautions!!

Terry

Yes, no problem

I think I contracted it in May on the Glory. While waiting at Miami airport, I developed an extremely high fever, headache like I have never had and every joint in my body felt as if it was fuzed together. I even passed up $400 in future flight coupons to take a later flight. I honestly thought I was dying. Went to Dr next day. I had bronchitis, start of pneumonia. Gave me a Zpack which did nothing (well maybe for my bronchitis but nothing to ease the other symptoms). I have never sweat that much in my life. I had to constantly change my clothes and sheets. Worst 4 days of my life.

If that's not what it was, then I don't know what it could have been. But whatever it was, I don't want it again! One of my friends that was with me got it too. Just too coincidental in my book. Never heard anything about that stuff until a few days after I was back it was on the news.

It sounds to me that you may have had plain old Dengue, which I am not suggesting is fun to have. The first confirmed case of Chikungunya virus in Florida was this past Thursday. Symptoms are similar.

I stand corrected, apparently it has been in Florida for a while.

Edited by Playa Cofi
new information

Sint Maarten, St. Martin, US Virgin Islands, Old San Juan -

All of the Caribbean Islands with the exception of Montserrat have had confirmed cases. Jamaica had their first yesterday.

http://www.paho.org/hq/images/stories/AD/HSD/IR/Viral_Diseases/Chikungunya/CHIKV-Data-Caribe-2014-EW-29.jpg?ua=1

Remember this factor. PR has 3.5 million people with only 400 confirmed cases.

If you are having a port stop in the Dominican Republic, then I would be a tad bit concerned. They have the highest number of cases.

It sounds to me that you may have had plain old Dengue, which I am not suggesting is fun to have. The first confirmed case of Chikungunya virus in Florida was this past Thursday. Symptoms are similar.

I'm not sure, but I was returning from 6 days in the Caribbean. I started to feel bad when I woke up in the morning but thought it might be because I didn't sleep well knowing I had to get off the ship, etc. But it really took hold when I was at MIA waiting for my flight home. So I didn't contract it in Florida, it was definitely in the Caribbean. I'm sure I could go get tested, but I'm not going through all that nonsense. Plus Its doubtful my insurance would cover it now, anyway.

I doubt it.

Here in Florida we already have West Nile Virus, Eastern Equine Encephalitis(aka Triple E), the occasional outbreak of Dengue Fever; and now Chikungunya.

All of them are spread by mosquitos.

When you think about how many cruises depart from and return to Florida; you're probably about as likely to contract a mosquito borne illness on the way to your cruise or returning home from your cruise as you are from one of the ports you visit.

I doubt the cruise lines would curtail port calls based on mosquito borne viruses in the Caribbean, when the same viruses are already being transmitted in their home ports.

I'm not sure I agree with this...CCL skipped Cozumel a few years back due to Swine Flu virus which was especially high there as it was here in the

States. More contagious person to person, but places that don't spray for mosquitos may likely get totally out of control.

Terry

I live in Canada and I buy Moskol which is 30 percent DEET and works great. I did bring plenty with me too.

I wish I had used it pre cruise in Miami but on the upside at least now I am likely immune.

To say I had joint pain is a gross understatement. What I had felt like something biting me when I moved any joint. My son and husband had to walk me to the washroom in my cabin. Thankfully I am all better now but it lasted a little over a week.

Apply sunscreen first then repellent.

I just noticed you're in the Tampa bay area. What part? St. Petersburg here.

I'll admit, that even with the viruses we do have in Florida I don't use any mosquito repellants here. When I do the southern Caribbean this fall though, I probably will just to be on the safe side. I guess I'm not as concerned about getting sick at home as I am on vacation.

Clearwater beach At Frenchy's now lol

I'm not sure I agree with this...CCL skipped Cozumel a few years back due to Swine Flu virus which was especially high there as it was here in the

States. More contagious person to person, but places that don't spray for mosquitos may likely get totally out of control.

That's what I was thinking about as it grows. It will get some attention

Could be alike the swine flu. Remember how the rates plummeted

Not sure how many people realize what can happen with these viruses. My niece developed a severely low platelet count when she contracted Dengue Fever in PR. They hospitalized her overnight in case she started bleeding...could treat her with a platelet transfusion. I have never heard of this currently escalating viral outbreak. One good thing is mosquitos are most present early and late and ship tours are generally mid day.

Not sure how many people realize what can happen with these viruses. My niece developed a severely low platelet count when she contracted Dengue Fever in PR. They hospitalized her overnight in case she started bleeding...could treat her with a platelet transfusion. I have never heard of this currently escalating viral outbreak. One good thing is mosquitos are most present early and late and ship tours are generally mid day.

You are correct on many levels. My platelets last month were 90 when I had my 2nd bout with dengue. If she was bleeding she had the most dangerous of the 4 dengue options.

Mosquitos in the Caribbean are prevalent at daybreak and as the sun starts to set. The only time I use spray is during those periods if I am going to be outside for a prolonged period at that time.

If you are at port in early evening and forgot to put on spray or it has wore off, most establishments (outdoor dining & bars) will have off. Just ask.

I'm sorry, I feel silly, but what is Deet? Is this a brand of repellent or what is in the repellent? We will be on the beach in Coz next week - what brand do you recommend (if deet isn't a brand)?

Thanks!

I'm sorry, I feel silly, but what is Deet? Is this a brand of repellent or what is in the repellent? We will be on the beach in Coz next week - what brand do you recommend (if deet isn't a brand)?

Thanks!

DEET is the active ingredient in the repellent. In the U.S. "Off!" is probably the most well known brand name.

This may be a stupid question but how do you apply it? When you are out in the sun do you put sunscreen and then Deet or visa versa. I have also done a google search and found that they really don't mix that well. Any thoughts or suggestions? Should we just get the sunscreen with repellent and if so is that with Deet? I hate this is happening but such it is.

Deet and sunscreen are not necessarily a good combination. Sunscreen seems to speed up the rate at which your body absorbs Deet.

What is a super fair person who tends to get bit by bugs to do??

I think one of the b vitamins helps those who are sweet to mosquitoes..hmmmm....Sarah

Columbia make a very lightweight long sleeve UPF50 shirt in various colors. Get one of those or something similar. I wore one on every excursion we took last year. They dry super fast so easy to wash one night and be ready the next day.

Then all you need is sunscreen on your neck/face and just spray the DEET on your hat, shirt and legs.