Grand Lucayan Freeport

green eyed lady

I received this email back from them...

Thank you for your email. To answer your questions, we have day passes for visitors and cruisers. The cost is $15 for adults, and $7.50 for children. As a day pass owner, you will be able to use all our facilities; however, please note that a pool towel will not be included. Reservations are not necessary. The cab ride takes approximately 20+ minutes and will cost you $27 for two persons. Every additional person is $3 extra.

Has anyone gone here? Opinions? I'm thinking for $15 pp you can't really go wrong. We're not big drinkers so it doesn't matter to me that this isn't all inclusive.

Also, I think I read that there's shopping right across the street. Can someone confirm this? Thanks :D

• 2 weeks later...
I received this email back from them...

Thank you for your email. To answer your questions, we have day passes for visitors and cruisers. The cost is $15 for adults, and $7.50 for children. As a day pass owner, you will be able to use all our facilities; however, please note that a pool towel will not be included. Reservations are not necessary. The cab ride takes approximately 20+ minutes and will cost you $27 for two persons. Every additional person is $3 extra.

Has anyone gone here? Opinions? I'm thinking for $15 pp you can't really go wrong. We're not big drinkers so it doesn't matter to me that this isn't all inclusive.

Also, I think I read that there's shopping right across the street. Can someone confirm this? Thanks :D

This has been one of my considerations for a day in port there as well. It looks like the place posted above me to answer your questions, however, they only have 2 total post on this board and according to your email you received you said The cost is $15 for adults, and $7.50 for children.

but in their only other post they quoted $15 adults and $7 for children. I know it's only .50 but 2 post in and they are already different? I'm confused as to why.

Has anyone done a review on this place (for day pass people) or found any?

I would also look at THIS thread about the taxi's and price.

Edited by mitsugirly

This has been one of my considerations for a day in port there as well. It looks like the place posted above me to answer your questions, however, they only have 2 total post on this board and according to your email you received you said The cost is $15 for adults, and $7.50 for children.

but in their only other post they quoted $15 adults and $7 for children. I know it's only .50 but 2 post in and they are already different? I'm confused as to why.

I saw that other thread about the taxi fares. That's if you take a van with others. Personally, I hate being packed liked sardines in one of those vans. I'm always afraid I will have to sit all the way in the back and I need to be near the door (claustrophobic lol) I would rather pay extra and take a regular taxi. I wouldn't mind sharing with another couple, but not 8 or 10 other ppl :eek: Also they just joined cc in June of this year, so that's why there are only 2 posts I guess.

Edited by green eyed lady

Kim, I've read several of your reviews in the past and based on what you and your family do, I seriously don't think that this is the excursion for you. I've been to Freeport several times and to Lucaya. It's the most commercial spot on the island. Your family loves to snorkel and you'd be so much better doing Deadman's Reef/Paradise Cove or even going to the Junkanoo Beach Club on Taino Beach.

Those taxi vans in Freeport are pretty much large vans that they do wait to fill every seat. There is an "organizer" there directing people to the next van in line. They get so mad at me when I'm there because I first ask if that particular van has the air conditioning working ( a lot do not ) and I refuse to not be in a/c in that van. I will be directed to an a/c equipped and working van. I let them know I have asthma and the exhaust smell is a trigger for me. They don't care. They think I'm such a b.... And, I refuse to get in first. I wait until the van is filled from the back to the front. Oh boy, the looks that I get from the other people could kill me. But, I refuse to be in the back. I sit up front in the passengers seat a lot. One other thing about those vans. I never pay them for the round trip up front. No need to, unless I'm out on Taino Beach. I want to make sure they come back and they always have like clockwork. Otherwise, at Lucaya, I just pay for the return trip when I choose to get in the taxi van on my way back. I really don't recall seeing regular taxis at this port.

Kim, I've read several of your reviews in the past and based on what you and your family do, I seriously don't think that this is the excursion for you. I've been to Freeport several times and to Lucaya. It's the most commercial spot on the island. Your family loves to snorkel and you'd be so much better doing Deadman's Reef/Paradise Cove or even going to the Junkanoo Beach Club on Taino Beach.

Those taxi vans in Freeport are pretty much large vans that they do wait to fill every seat. There is an "organizer" there directing people to the next van in line. They get so mad at me when I'm there because I first ask if that particular van has the air conditioning working ( a lot do not ) and I refuse to not be in a/c in that van. I will be directed to an a/c equipped and working van. I let them know I have asthma and the exhaust smell is a trigger for me. They don't care. They think I'm such a b.... And, I refuse to get in first. I wait until the van is filled from the back to the front. Oh boy, the looks that I get from the other people could kill me. But, I refuse to be in the back. I sit up front in the passengers seat a lot. One other thing about those vans. I never pay them for the round trip up front. No need to, unless I'm out on Taino Beach. I want to make sure they come back and they always have like clockwork. Otherwise, at Lucaya, I just pay for the return trip when I choose to get in the taxi van on my way back. I really don't recall seeing regular taxis at this port.

Thanks for your advice. I think you are right (although I don't mind a nice resort here and there like we have done twice in Jamaica) and we would probably enjoy Paradise Cove better. We love to snorkel, but it's not always a "must do", but if it's there to do, then it's an added plus. I'm really hoping to be able to spot some sea turtles while we're there, since there has been a lot of mention of seeing them in the sea grass areas there. My only concern has been (and still is) the long swim out to the reef OR the long swim back in. However, I have been in contact with Barry and I think if we can't do the swim with Sakari, then we'll work something out with transportation out to the reef with the canoe.

I completely understand the need for you to want to sit by the door and up front. There are plenty of people like that and I'm completely opposite. I really don't care where I sit as long as I get a seat. :D So I will give up or rearrange my seating to please someone else (if someone like you came along) because it doesn't really matter to me. I actually usually head to the back anyhow just to avoid taking up the front seats for people that may need them. :)

I have never had to pay someone up front to return to get us (we have always paid after they returned and at drop off back at the port). It just really makes me feel uneasy about handing over money with the possibility that they might not return and I would have to pay again. But good to know that most people do say they have good experiences with their cabs returning. If we go to Paradise Cove, the price includes transportation, so that's a plus that I won't have to worry about. :D

Thanks again for the info and suggestions. I really really appreciate it. It looks like everyone will have a complete review of Paradise Cove/Dead Mans Reef when I return from this cruise. :p

Thanks for your advice. I think you are right (although I don't mind a nice resort here and there like we have done twice in Jamaica) and we would probably enjoy Paradise Cove better. We love to snorkel, but it's not always a "must do", but if it's there to do, then it's an added plus. I'm really hoping to be able to spot some sea turtles while we're there, since there has been a lot of mention of seeing them in the sea grass areas there. My only concern has been (and still is) the long swim out to the reef OR the long swim back in. However, I have been in contact with Barry and I think if we can't do the swim with Sakari, then we'll work something out with transportation out to the reef with the canoe.

I completely understand the need for you to want to sit by the door and up front. There are plenty of people like that and I'm completely opposite. I really don't care where I sit as long as I get a seat. :D So I will give up or rearrange my seating to please someone else (if someone like you came along) because it doesn't really matter to me. I actually usually head to the back anyhow just to avoid taking up the front seats for people that may need them. :)

I have never had to pay someone up front to return to get us (we have always paid after they returned and at drop off back at the port). It just really makes me feel uneasy about handing over money with the possibility that they might not return and I would have to pay again. But good to know that most people do say they have good experiences with their cabs returning. If we go to Paradise Cove, the price includes transportation, so that's a plus that I won't have to worry about. :D

Thanks again for the info and suggestions. I really really appreciate it. It looks like everyone will have a complete review of Paradise Cove/Dead Mans Reef when I return from this cruise. :p

It's like I know you and your family from your reviews and my bet is that Sakari will be able to get out to that reef no problem. But, I'd not chance it and definitely ask for a kayak to take out with me just in case she needed a ride back. I just read yesterday on tripadvisor that the water out to that reef is fairly shallow, although not for Sakari, it would be over her head. After you're at the reef there's a 25 ft. dropoff where the good snorkeling begins. I think that's what I read. I'm sure you're going to have no problem figuring out with the Paradise Cove peeps how to make sure Sakari gets out to the reef and back safely. Can't wait to read all about it when you return. Have fun!

It's like I know you and your family from your reviews and my bet is that Sakari will be able to get out to that reef no problem. But, I'd not chance it and definitely ask for a kayak to take out with me just in case she needed a ride back. I just read yesterday on tripadvisor that the water out to that reef is fairly shallow, although not for Sakari, it would be over her head. After you're at the reef there's a 25 ft. dropoff where the good snorkeling begins. I think that's what I read. I'm sure you're going to have no problem figuring out with the Paradise Cove peeps how to make sure Sakari gets out to the reef and back safely. Can't wait to read all about it when you return. Have fun!

I will definitely get someone to take us out there (since it being our first time, I really don't know where "out there" is and how far). We'll have to play it by ear and see. I don't allow her to go in the ocean without her puddle jumper on (unless it's close to shore and I'm right there with her). Even though she can swim, I don't trust the ocean. So it would be awesome if the water along the way is fairly shallow because that helps me out with helping her when she needs pulled along if she gets tired. I'm getting really excited now. :D

I don't know if anyone is as addicted to cruise podcasts as I am, but I just listened to one today that had a really nice review of Grand Lucayan. It's the May 12 podcast of "Cruise Addicts."

We stop in Freeport on 8/20 and are definitely going to Grand Lucayan. I have a pic of the infinity pool as my screen saver! Hope it doesn't rain....

image.jpg.bd244a2938e7759869f256a970a11554.jpg

I don't know if anyone is as addicted to cruise podcasts as I am, but I just listened to one today that had a really nice review of Grand Lucayan. It's the May 12 podcast of "Cruise Addicts."

We stop in Freeport on 8/20 and are definitely going to Grand Lucayan. I have a pic of the infinity pool as my screen saver! Hope it doesn't rain....

Sorry OP, a little off topic, but where and how do you listen to "podcasts"? I'm not familiar with it or what it does. Sounds interesting. Details? :D

Sorry OP, a little off topic, but where and how do you listen to "podcasts"? I'm not familiar with it or what it does. Sounds interesting. Details? :D

No problem, they're great to listen to whole you walk/houseclean. Ok if you have an iPhone, go to the App Store and download the podcast app. Then click on it and search for "cruise". Most of the things that pop up are cruising related, a few are classic car related. Then you click to download and when you want to listen, click on the podcast app and press play. If you don't have an iPhone I have no idea but I imagine it's pretty similar. The best podcast is Cruise Addicts, I think.

No problem, they're great to listen to whole you walk/houseclean. Ok if you have an iPhone, go to the App Store and download the podcast app. Then click on it and search for "cruise". Most of the things that pop up are cruising related, a few are classic car related. Then you click to download and when you want to listen, click on the podcast app and press play. If you don't have an iPhone I have no idea but I imagine it's pretty similar. The best podcast is Cruise Addicts, I think.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out.