On Board Medical Services

tom5178

Since your husband tolerates his chemo so well, I would push your doctors for a break in the cycle to take your vacation. It will give both of you some well deserved time off to enjoy a lovely vacation. Having had a parent with pancreatic cancer, I know it is a tough time, but squeezing in a few vacations during the chemo was a great escape for my Mom.

Good luck,

Thanks again everyone, things are progressing in a positive direction. My husband had another chemo today, and we spoke to the docs about our plans. They replied with a very energetic yes! they indicated that they would just delay the chemo by a week. They thought that the way we planned it was the best option. His blood counts are measured each week and the pattern, of course shows decline during the 3 week chemo cycle, but they recover fully after the one week off. Since we would be leaving at the near the end of his off week, his blood counts should be completely normal at that time. We always carry a filled script of Cipro which the docs tell us to take if he spikes a fever of 101. thank God, that only happened once after his very first treatment the Cipro would be a powerful fighter against infection.

We chose this particular cruise for the ship not the itinerary so we may decide to stay on the ship more rather than go into ports to help diminish risk of infection. We are also very diligent with washing and Purell while on cruises.

So the final deal is that we are going to make our final payment, plan on going and will wait to see how hubby feels when it is time to go. We do have the insurance so even last minute decisions will not be a problem.

Our docs indicated that they want us to live our life the best we can while chemo treatments continue, we are going to University of Penn, a very highly ranked cancer center so we trust our docs and my hubby knows his body well and he will be the ultimate decision.

Happy Cruising all!

I too admire your positive attitude. I hope you're able to postpone the chemo until after the trip, since traveling has been a passion for you and your husband. Good thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Leslie

Most ship nurses come with an emergency medicine back round and most likely not oncology. Administering chemo drugs takes special training and as others have said, I would find it highly unlikely that the infirmary staff and the cruise line would want to accept the liability. Having just retired from 28 years as an emergency department RN, I have no experience or skill level at administering chemo drugs. Glad you were able to work around this problem and have a great cruise! :)

Edited by PROCRUISE

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Once again, thank you all for the words of encouragement and support and advice. It was nice to even re-read them now. Well it is 9:07 pm our plane leaves at 7:30 am and the cruise leaves at 4pm tomorrow. Hubby has now completed 7 months of chemo and he is doing very good. The tumor has shrunk by almost 50% and his blood counts are good and his tumor marker has just dropped below 1000 this past month. Pancreatic cancer is a horrible disease because it almost always caught too late. Please educate yourself and loved ones to symptoms and common misdiagnosis. A great source is The Lustgarten Foundation

He has actually GAINED some weight! We are so thankful and blessed and we are going on this cruise!

And even better......a few days ago, Celebrity called and asked if we would be interested in upgrading to an Aqua Class suite (from Concierge class) for just $250/pp more. We jumped on it and took it as a further sign that this cruise is meant for us!

thanks all and happy cruising!

Edited by tom5178
spelling

Hi All,

Once again, thank you all for the words of encouragement and support and advice. It was nice to even re-read them now. Well it is 9:07 pm our plane leaves at 7:30 am and the cruise leaves at 4pm tomorrow. Hubby has now completed 7 months of chemo and he is doing very good. The tumor has shrunk by almost 50% and his blood counts are good and his tumor marker has just dropped below 1000 this past month. Pancreatic cancer is a horrible disease because it almost always caught too late. Please educate yourself and loved ones to symptoms and common misdiagnosis. A great source is The Lustgarten Foundation

He has actually GAINED some weight! We are so thankful and blessed and we are going on this cruise!

And even better......a few days ago, Celebrity called and asked if we would be interested in upgrading to an Aqua Class suite (from Concierge class) for just $250/pp more. We jumped on it and took it as a further sign that this cruise is meant for us!

thanks all and happy cruising!

I'm a radiation oncologist; you were wise in review this with your medical oncologist. It's wonderful to hear he's gaining weight (always a good sign!) Best wishes to you and your husband for a wonderful vacation.