Quantam and first time in the US

I most be going nuts, We are going on the indy on the 23rd august for the second time,

However i got a bit carried away on the RCI website, and I have booked us a balcony guarantee on the quantum our of Southampton on the 2nd November

Myself my wife and 3 year old daughter, i am super excited.

I have always wanted to go to the states and especially New York.

We have arranged to stay an extra 4 nights in New york and fly home on the 14th, (can't believe how cheap I got the flights booked through royal carribean!

What I need help with is a good cheap hotel in new york, suitable for the 3 of us which is central , there are loads on the internet, but any personal recommendations would be great, and any ideas of must see things while there in November!

thanks

Pete

Yes - please post on the East coast departures board and tell us:

1). What airport are you flying out of?

2). Hotel budget (what do you consider cheap?)

3) would you consider staying in a hotel across the River in Jersey City or Secaucus, New Jersey? This would require public transit into New York.

4) Would you consider a Hotwire hotel with a high approval rating?

5). Do you have any sightseeing priorities?

Cape Liberty is in Bayonne, New Jersey. A car service to Manhattan will be about $100. Public transit is an option if you can roll your luggage.

Hi Guys

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

This is a real last minute thing! I was browsing about 2 hours ago with no intention of booking anything else, and it kind of just happened! lol

Never been to america, so at a complete loss, I suppose with a 3 1/2 year old , somewhere central ideally, central park times square, I don't mind the walking but DD will be happier if we don't have to walk to far to see the sights and with flying home we are going to be restricted on luggage,

I suppose i just want to experience New York, all all the touristy, things to do!

The one thing that has always put us off going is the long haul flights, I have no fear of flying I just don't like it with our daughter, although we have done a number of 3 hour flights no problem with her. Thats why this holiday is perfect for us, as we can experience New york, and only have to fly once!

our flight back is out of JFK at 19:40 on Friday the 14th, Which is perfect for us as she will be exhausted from the day and hopefully sleep all the way home.

We will get a car from the port,

Our budget ideally is under £800 for 4 nights for the 3 of us, the hotel will be a base, but needs to have a good room with space for us, and comfortable as we won't be enjoying new yorks nite life with DD, it will back to the room and spending the evening in. I don't mind going over budget if I have to, but as i said previously we have a 2 week cruise on indy in August this year, and this trip to new york wasn't planned at all, but it just seemed a perfect holiday for us before she starts school next year and we have to pay summer holiday prices.

Edited by Peewee14

The words "cheap" and "NYC" do not go together.

Love your snap decision making!

So true, nothing is cheap in NYC but there are some things they can do for free.

To the OP, here are some free things to do in NYC. All you have to do is google free things in NYC.

http://www.nycgo.com/free

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/city-guides/free-new-york-city-traveler

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/things-to-do/free-things-to-do-in-nyc

http://gonyc.about.com/od/freestuff/

Here's a map of NYC attractions.

http://www.newyorkpass.com/En/new-york-attractions-map/?aid=8&gclid=CL6GxYCJ0r8CFZRj7Aodqx0AIw

Top attractions in NYC

http://www.newyorkpass.com/En/things-to-do-in-new-york-city/Places_of_Interests/?aid=133&gclid=CLuhlaOJ0r8CFWMQ7AodlCQA8g

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Most important otherwise you will not even be allowed to get on ship.

We were flying out to the US one year and at the airport check in they couldn't see my ESTA on file.... I hadn't bothered to print it off..... they suggested that I could actually apply for it then and there......(to be honest I've always received mine and those of others I have applied for at the time of application) whilst I was in the process of firing up the laptop to get the ESTA number for them they realised it was their error and check in proceeded.

I print if off now.

Thanks for all your help,

I have now booked the Double tree Suites in Times Square for 4 nights, Went for a King Suite with 2 double beds and a living area, so should be more than good enough for us, total of around 2200 dollars for 4 nights,

Its a trip of a lifetime for us, and we probably won't get to go back for a while as I imagine future holidays to the US will be disney land etc. So I don't want to scrimp on the hotel and it end up being a disappointment,

I looked on google street view and this hotel looks right in the middle of it!

Anyway thanks again for your help, I managed to find the info on the hotel i booked on the board you directed me to, I will now start planning the 4 days in NY. I don't know what I amore excited about, the new ship and crossing the atlantic or the 4 days in NY, I suppose if i am honest its the 4 days in New york!

Every single year as a kid we stayed up every year to watch new years eve in times square on the TV, and now i am gonna be there, ok not for new year but still!

Thanks for all your help,

I have now booked the Double tree Suites in Times Square for 4 nights, Went for a King Suite with 2 double beds and a living area, so should be more than good enough for us, total of around 2200 dollars for 4 nights,

Its a trip of a lifetime for us, and we probably won't get to go back for a while as I imagine future holidays to the US will be disney land etc. So I don't want to scrimp on the hotel and it end up being a disappointment,

I looked on google street view and this hotel looks right in the middle of it!

Anyway thanks again for your help, I managed to find the info on the hotel i booked on the board you directed me to, I will now start planning the 4 days in NY. I don't know what I amore excited about, the new ship and crossing the atlantic or the 4 days in NY, I suppose if i am honest its the 4 days in New york!

Every single year as a kid we stayed up every year to watch new years eve in times square on the TV, and now i am gonna be there, ok not for new year but still!

Yes you will be in the heart of Times Square and where they drop the ball, great location you selected. Right across the street from the Hotel will be a TKTS booth that will sell ticket to Broadway shows for 1/2 price. Now the popular shows will not be offered and you'll have to pay full price for those shows. Here are some tips if your interested in seeing a Broadway show.

http://www.nytix.com/Broadway/DiscountBroadwayTickets/TKTS/tips.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60763-d273720-r10050939-TKTS-New_York_City_New_York.html

I am excited for you. It will be a wonderful time for all of you. I remember my first trip to Europe and London. I was in my 40s and had never flown before. Your generation takes so much for granted but you seem to have the kind of enthusiasm that has been lost on many. I hope all lives up to your expectations.

You are right Doris, its a shame, but a lot is taken for granted now.

I work away all week almost every week, and miss my family like crazy, So i certainly never take a holiday for granted, I enjoy every second of it, and I am usually like a kid at xmas, even if its a weekend camping!

I really can't believe how lucky we are to be able to do this, it really is a dream to visit the US and especially NY, and to be arriving on the Quantum and making it part of a cruise holiday is mind blowing!

I have spent every minute since the booking, online reading about NY !!

we are gonna have a blast!

Hi,

Congrats on your Quantum cruise, and NY trip. I hope the whole experience excels your expectations. Of course, you don't want to miss Ground Zero, or the top of the Empire State Bldg, or Statue of Liberty. Those 3 things alone, ARE NYC. Sounds like you got an excellent hotel. Prices of food at restaurants, can be out of this world, in NY. But portions are usually huge, and you might be able to do some sharing. With a little one, you might want to consider hiring a car service, for the day They will take you right to the entrance of anything you want to see, and pick you back up there. The hotel should be able to arrange this for you, if your interested . The driver could also recommend interesting things to see and do. NY is an amazing place, and never dull. You may find 4 days, just not enough time. LOL...

A few things to consider:

- the Statue of Liberty requires the use of a Ferry, and is combined with the Ellis Island immigration museum - which is REALLY is a big story of america. Will take most of the day, so getting tickets in advance for preferably the first ferry is important. Adjacent to, and can be bought as a combination ticket with

- The 9/11 museum at Ground Zero - yes, another real NYC story (unfortunately); that museum just opened recently and is likely to be popular for many months to come; probably best towards the end of the day with the Statue/Ellis. You can then walk north along the river if desired to the High Line (or from the river take Houston st. to Greenwich) which is a neat way to see the city from 20 feet up.

- There are many popular museums and your interests may drive which one to attend. Again, plan to get there early as lines/crowds/waits will be less and it will be easier to push your child in a stroller then. Always a good choice is the Metropolitan museum of art (pay what you wish - really!) then stroll across Central park to the west side and the Natural History Museum (again, pay what you wish, but often does not include the featured exhibits.). The above is a good plan for another day.

- I'm not sure being driven around the city in a car service is really THAT New York but walking a lot and taking the subway and bus is - I would recommend using a metropass which you can add money to and pay per ride (unlimited start at 7 days for $30, so probably not too useful.)

- Unless you are planning out your restaurants, get Yelp for your smartphone if you will have mobile data, or the NYC tripadvisor app if you will not (or anyway too) for good from-the-street nearby recommendations.

But whatever you do - enjoy!

I most be going nuts, We are going on the indy on the 23rd august for the second time,

However i got a bit carried away on the RCI website, and I have booked us a balcony guarantee on the quantum our of Southampton on the 2nd November

Myself my wife and 3 year old daughter, i am super excited.

I have always wanted to go to the states and especially New York.

We have arranged to stay an extra 4 nights in New york and fly home on the 14th, (can't believe how cheap I got the flights booked through royal carribean!

What I need help with is a good cheap hotel in new york, suitable for the 3 of us which is central , there are loads on the internet, but any personal recommendations would be great, and any ideas of must see things while there in November!

thanks

Pete

Hi Pete

See you on board

Note your already posted the board also

Enjoy and welcome

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums