Cancelled cruise deposit refund

1partyjan

In May I cancelled my cruise due to the changes in The Black Sea itinery and was told by Celebrity they would refund my deposit.

It is now almost the end of July and I am still waiting for them to process the refund, I have called them several times, but I am told we are busy working on the refunds.

I have always praised Celebrity, but to be honest I feel they have let me down.

Have you ever had a problem getting your deposit refunded and if so how long did it take?

In May I cancelled my cruise due to the changes in The Black Sea itinery and was told by Celebrity they would refund my deposit.

It is now almost the end of July and I am still waiting for them to process the refund, I have called them several times, but I am told we are busy working on the refunds.

Have you ever had a problem getting your deposit refunded and if so how long did it take?

If you were inside final payment date it's a whole different thing. Cancellations prior to final payment date are processed back to the original form of payment usually within two business days.

After final payment it takes an entirely different set of approvals and is not automatic.

My experience is 3-4 days. Also my experience is even though I paid 1 amount, I got a refund in 3 parts, which I assumed to be broken out into cabin fare, taxes and port fees. I figure it may be an accounting thing, perhaps thy keep the tax liability in a tax account the port fees liabilities in a port fees account and cabin fare prepaid income/advanced billing in yet another bank account.

For example, $250 deposit paid, refund was 3 separate for like $196.50, $20.25 and $33.25.

I called a month later as I was simply scanning my credit card records for an entry of $250 and never saw it and they gave me a date it as returned, and sure enough 3 small entries totaled my deposit on that date.

Also if you booked thru a travel agent you need to deal direct with them, not X for the refund, not sure how you booked to know for sure. If booked on board, is it possible it reverted back to TA on your booking record you need to contact...?

I booked direct with celebrity and my cruise was due to sail in Oct with my final balance due the middle of August.

The cancellation was offered by them due to the situation in Ukraine and the changes to the ports they were calling into.

On my last call to them I was advised the refund is being dealt with by their office in the USA and this is why it is taking so long.

I am finding this all very frustrating and certainly won't be singing their praises ever again

Edited by 1partyjan

I booked direct with celebrity and my cruise was due to sail in Oct with my final balance due the middle of August.

The cancellation was offered by them due to the situation in Ukraine and the changes to the ports they were calling into.

On my last call to them I was advised the refund is being dealt with by their office in the USA and this is why it is taking so long.

I am finding this all very frustrating and certainly won't be singing their praises ever again

Not sure what country you're from but as I imagine time of day may be an issue with the USA offices, try e-mailing captains club with your details.

CaptainsClub@celebrity.com

I'd include confirmation number, date you paid, date you canceled and any dates and times and names of people you've spoken to.

Something's amiss, and this may be a simpler way to deal than phone for you. Also starts a necessary "paper trail".

If paid by Credit Card, I'd also call your card company ASAP and have the charge disputed, let them know you canceled On ____ date and no refund yet, they will credit you back and chase X up on your behalf.

Edited by cle-guy

Does the reservation show as cancelled in your Celebrity account?

We have only cancelled cruises a few times. The deposit always showed up as a credit on our next credit card statement, so we never had any need to request it.

Edited by fleckle

I have finally got a refund receipt from Celebrity, so hopefully if will be in my account soon. It appears they set me up as a cheque refund but never raised it and then changed me to cc refund, which they still never processed.

I have asked for a full explanation in writing as how this could happen

I have finally got a refund receipt from Celebrity, so hopefully if will be in my account soon. ........
Maybe they handle it differently for different countries, or if different currencies are involved.

We are in the USA and never received any refund receipt when we canceled a cruise.

Our reservation listing on our Celebrity account immediately changed from booked to canceled, and then the refund showed up as a credit to our credit card shortly thereafter.

I suppose we could have requested an updated invoice showing that the cruise had been canceled, but had no need to do so.

Edited by fleckle

I have finally got a refund receipt from Celebrity, so hopefully if will be in my account soon. It appears they set me up as a cheque refund but never raised it and then changed me to cc refund, which they still never processed.

I have asked for a full explanation in writing as how this could happen

I'm glad you managed to get it worked out. Very odd, I've never waited more than 72 hours for a refund and that is usually when the cancellation falls on a weekend........I hope they explain to you what happened....