Secrets of Puna

2cruz

jvz, the road from Hilo to HVNP is excellent. It's a wide two-lane road (four lanes for a few miles to near Keeau, then two lanes, with shoulders wide enough to park on). It is not twisty at all; in fact, it is remarkably straight. It climbs relentlessly to 4000 feet, but you really don't notice the climb until you are within a couple of miles of the village of Volcano. The roads in the National Park are fine two-lane roads, albeit slightly narrower than the road from Hilo. The only stretch that is rather curvy is the stretch from the Park headquarters, near volcano house, past Thurston Lave Tube to where it meets the Chain of Craters road, but even that isn't a big deal - just obey the posted speed limit and it's easy. The chain of craters road has one significant curve in it (folks who have been there know what I mean) but again - no big deal.

Unless you're a kid who just got her license, do not worry about the roads or driving.

• 2 years later...

after many years, and many visits to the Big Island, we are finally going to visit kapoho and now I read all this!?!? One poster says you dont need a 4x4 and then someone else says you cant do it in a rental car - color me confused! kapoho and lava tree park, Mackenzie etc - they are all on my list

does anyone want to tell me that it can be done in a rental car? We will be visiting my mother in Waikoloa and I wonder if we should get a hotel down there in Kapoho for the night - or try to make it all the way back? We will most likely be driving thru Hilo on the way over and then circling back around afterwards - it sure makes for a long day. kapoho2 are you still logged on? We'll be over on Friday! can you help?

Aloha Jackie....you will do fine in a rental car. No need for an SUV. The only thing you cannot do in a rental car is drive out over the lava from the lighthouse to access Champagne Pond. Even if you had a truck or a heavy duty SUV, it is best to leave that drive to those with experience.

You can still access Champagne Pond by parking outside the gate and walking in. Or, you can instead visit Kapoho Vacationland and swim in the tidepools there. There is public parking right along the water's edge. You can also swim down the road at the Ahalanui Warm Pond.

Lava Tree State Park and McKenzie Park are very doable with a car.

It will be a VERY long day for you if you plan to do all of this and still drive back to Waikoloa. I would definitely go back through Hilo....not the other way. There are no hotels in Kapoho...only vacation rentals and most of them have a 3 night minimum. You may be able to rent a vacation house in Kapoho for one night...but you will have to pay a cleaning fee. The nearest hotels are in Hilo....and the Hilo Hawaiian is probably the best of the bunch.

Have fun whatever you decide to do!!

Aloha Kapoho2! Thanks so much for all the tips and information. :D Mahalo nui loa too for the warm fuzzy about us being able to do it all ourselves in a rental car too - nice to know, especially coming from Kama'aina! We have wanted to go to Kapoho for a long time and never got around to it in several visits to the islands. I wrote once back in 2003 and you replied about what to do on Christmas day and you suggested it - but we didnt ever get there, going tofarmers market and Hilo Hatties instead. We were only there for the day. This time we are staying for a longer time and can get more sightseeing in again. We usually spend a couple of weeks if we arent coming in by cruise ship. DH and I are really looking forward to Lava Tree and Kapoho etc - so thanks for all the info and know that we really appreciate it! That was fast!:eek::D - See you soon! :)

• 6 months later...

Aloha again - last time I posted we thought we were going to visit, but were told that we shouldnt go down there by ourselves. Antics/Not a great element and that we shouldnt try to do this one alone. Locals/relatives discouraging us from going down there. Now we have Kapohokine scheduled for the day after we arrive to do the whole enchilada and I cant wait. Everyone discouraged using Kapohokine (saying to go ourselves and save money) due to some serious dinero/major kala, but think it will be worth it. I will report back when we return...ahhh at last! I hear via coconut express that the cesspool is inches from the waterline and that is suspected of causing all kinds of problems, such as the turtles tumors/sores etc. Kapohokine says no swimming. Gahds, finally get to go and cant get in, bummer. I wonder if this is the same at Ahalanui? My have to stick my toe in at least. And something to do with the gate....anyone? We are scheduled to go on 6/6/2008

Archived