How Early Can You Board in Vancouver?

JoyAnn

I have conflicting info on my docs and what I've read on the HAL web site and here, etc. I don't want to show up at 11:00 for an 11:30 boarding in Vancouver if I can't get on the Statendam until 1:30 like when we sailed to Alaska on the Veendam in 2003. We are sailing to Hawaii this time, could that possibly make a difference?

TIA

Back in 2003 boarding didn't start until 1:30pm, but in last year or so (maybe even longer) HAL has been boarding between 11:00 and 11:30am, but rooms are not usually ready until 1:30pm. It's much nicer to be on the ship, wander around checking it out, have lunch in the Lido, and take a walk around the deck, than having to sit in the terminal.

It is my understanding that early boarding commences at 11:00 A.M. but you will not be allowed access to your cabin until after 1:00 P.M. There is space available to leave your carry on bagge under supervision while you explore the ship or have lunch in the Lido restaurant. The cruise docs don't spell this out our experience confirms this.

We are sailing on Sept. 16th to Hawaii and plan to check in about 12;00 noon and don't expect huge line-ups.

Hey, you're on the Statendam cruise too! Did you sign into the roll call thread?

I guess we will be on the ship early like you. I've always arrived at the terminal around 11:30 to get an early number (except when we had a big suite and then you get right on once they start boarding), and then sat around waiting and waiting. This will be much nicer.

We sailed out of Vancouver on the Volendam in May. Things are a little different than they were in 2003 (we were there then too). Now after going through the security screening you'll go to Immigration (before that was just before boarding). Only 2(?) officers will be there before noon when another comes on (and then a few more about 1/1:30). This was VERY slow for us as we had hordes of Australians, some Kiwis, and at least 1 bus full of Japanese there when we were (11/11:30). US and Canadians don't require the photos and fingerprints as other nationalities. Plus the computer system for Immigration went down too. They did finally allow US/Canadian passengers to go ahead, but others had to wait.

After that it was a short check-in with HAL (NO line - maybe because all the hold up in Immigration of the Ozzies and Kiwis that had been ahead of us) and then on board. About 1:30 there was an announcement that cabins were available for passengers.

On the Lido deck starboard between the pool and cafe, there was an area carry-on baggage could be chacked with a crewman while waiting for the cabins to open up.

All I remember from Vancouver in 2003 was giving our checked luggage at the curb to the porters, taking our carry-ons through the screeners and turning our paperwork in/showing our passports, etc. to get our boarding numbers/passes. I don't even remember a separate line for immigration. I think my brain gets fried from the excitement of being that close to boarding. Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

P.S. What time did you actually get on board? Would it be wise to arrive at the terminal at 10:00 AM or 10:30 in case there is a crowd as you encountered?

We sailed out of Vancouver on the Volendam in May. Things are a little different than they were in 2003 (we were there then too). Now after going through the security screening you'll go to Immigration (before that was just before boarding). Only 2(?) officers will be there before noon when another comes on (and then a few more about 1/1:30). This was VERY slow for us as we had hordes of Australians, some Kiwis, and at least 1 bus full of Japanese there when we were (11/11:30). US and Canadians don't require the photos and fingerprints as other nationalities. Plus the computer system for Immigration went down too. They did finally allow US/Canadian passengers to go ahead, but others had to wait.

After that it was a short check-in with HAL (NO line - maybe because all the hold up in Immigration of the Ozzies and Kiwis that had been ahead of us) and then on board. About 1:30 there was an announcement that cabins were available for passengers.

On the Lido deck starboard between the pool and cafe, there was an area carry-on baggage could be chacked with a crewman while waiting for the cabins to open up.

Archived