Glacier Point Wilderness Safari - Out of Skagway on Solstice

s0479

I'm looking at this excursion instead of doing the train/bus/shuttle to Yukon. Has anyone done it thru Celebrity?? Thoughts if you have??

Description below -

Get a taste of the Alaskan wilderness on this epic quest which brings you face-to-face with a magnificent glacier. Your adventure begins aboard a custom-crafted vessel that will take you to Glacier Point. Explore the rugged beauty of Alaska's deepest fjord and the snow-capped mountains before you. Then, paddle a 31-foot voyager canoe to the face of the Davidson Glacier, a stunning blue ice masterpiece. Watch for whales, porpoises and other wildlife along the way.

Thanks in advanced for any info!

We did this excursion last year with HAL it was expensive but worth it, would highly recommend it. We actually got out of the canoes and walked on the glacier.

Edited by sjdnv

Suggest you also post this question on the Alaska Ports of Call forum (see link below). Good luck and enjoy!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Thanks I also did post it there too but wanted to see if I could some opinions from celebrity cruisers that had booked this excursion from celebrity specifically. Figured I would cover both bases!

I did this excursion with HAL out of Haines early on in the season (first week of June) and it was awesome, I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is moderately fit (there is a bit of a walk down to the water, and getting into and out of the canoes can be tricky for some). We were able to get out and walk around on the glacier but I saw a review with pictures from someone who went on that trip in August and there was no walking around on the glacier because all the walkable areas were covered with water from the summer melt so it was definitely a different experience.

1. The boat ride to Glacier Point can be a bit choppy, I thought a few people were going to lose their breakfast on the way over. The ride will be longer if you are starting in Skagway, Haines is a few miles closer to GP than Skagway is.

2. Mosquitoes, as in there will be lots of them. They give you a crazy rain suit to wear and those suckers flew up the sleeves to bite me. They have repellent there but it didn’t work to well in my case.

3. The only restrooms available are outhouses once you leave the dock in Skagway, it’s a long trip and if that bothers you this might not be the best choice for you.

I did this excursion with HAL out of Haines early on in the season (first week of June) and it was awesome, I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is moderately fit (there is a bit of a walk down to the water, and getting into and out of the canoes can be tricky for some). We were able to get out and walk around on the glacier but I saw a review with pictures from someone who went on that trip in August and there was no walking around on the glacier because all the walkable areas were covered with water from the summer melt so it was definitely a different experience.

1. The boat ride to Glacier Point can be a bit choppy, I thought a few people were going to lose their breakfast on the way over. The ride will be longer if you are starting in Skagway, Haines is a few miles closer to GP than Skagway is.

2. Mosquitoes, as in there will be lots of them. They give you a crazy rain suit to wear and those suckers flew up the sleeves to bite me. They have repellent there but it didn’t work to well in my case.

3. The only restrooms available are outhouses once you leave the dock in Skagway, it’s a long trip and if that bothers you this might not be the best choice for you.

Great information! I'm fine with all of that so I think we may go ahead and book!

We did this excursion with Celebrity a few years ago out of Skagway when we were on the Millenium. It was fantastic!! But yes there are mosquitoes and they are the biggest ones I have ever seen in my life (and I life in Florida and deal with mosquitoes on a regular basis!) so bring repellent.

It was an amazing experience although when we went we did not get to walk on the glacier but we got right up to the face of it and got to touch it. The canoes do have motors so if people get tired or if the wind is too intense when you get near the glacier they turn them on. There are small icebergs in the water around the glacier that are beautiful, and on the ride we saw whales & eagles from the catamaran boat too. Highly recommend it!

We did this excursion with Celebrity a few years ago out of Skagway when we were on the Millenium. It was fantastic!! But yes there are mosquitoes and they are the biggest ones I have ever seen in my life (and I life in Florida and deal with mosquitoes on a regular basis!) so bring repellent.

It was an amazing experience although when we went we did not get to walk on the glacier but we got right up to the face of it and got to touch it. The canoes do have motors so if people get tired or if the wind is too intense when you get near the glacier they turn them on. There are small icebergs in the water around the glacier that are beautiful, and on the ride we saw whales & eagles from the catamaran boat too. Highly recommend it!

Thanks!! Great information

We did this excursion a few years ago on Celebrity and loved it. We got very close to the face of the glacier but did not get out of the canoes. We went in May and the mosquitoes were not out yet.

We have already booked this excursion. Could anyone tell me how much time is spent on the enclosed boat and is there a bathroom on this boat? Also, how much time is spent in the canoe and approximately how many people are there in one canoe? Thanks!

We did this tour on July 21st, it was the highlight of our trip. We had great weather which made a huge difference. The small boat does not have a bathroom but the ride is about an hour, it slows down and stops for wildlife sightings and photo opps. The canoe holds 11 people and has a small motor if you or your shipmates don't want to paddle. We got very close to the glacier but not on it. The guides were great, bring a mosquito repellant with Deet and you will not be bitten. I booked this directly through Alaska Excursions, not Celebrity, and saved $40/pp. If you want to get a real feel for the Alaskan outdoors, this trip is for you. You don't have to be a super athlete to do it.

We have already booked this excursion. Could anyone tell me how much time is spent on the enclosed boat and is there a bathroom on this boat? Also, how much time is spent in the canoe and approximately how many people are there in one canoe? Thanks!

I don't remember if there was a bathroom in the boat. I thought these pics might help you visualize.....the first one is the enclosed fast boat. If you'd like to see a picture of the inside I think I have one of that as well. The second is the canoe. alaska2.jpg.bf580f8278b983148387cf528dc79f7b.jpg

alaska.jpg.0d640d49c126149aecbaa7d18fab4c36.jpg