Price Drops

KPGirl

Ok so after looking over everyone opinions, I think what I will do is book an Oceanview room then wait and upgrade to a balcony when and if they offer a free up grade. Would that work ?? Thanks so much to everyone for your words of wisdom.

That's what we like to do, as long as your okay with the oceanview room in case there are no balconies left (which isn't typically the case). Prices do drop substantially after final payoff date, so your best bet would be to wait for prices to drop as the cruise gets closer and upgrade. Either way, you will have a great time!

Final payment date is 75 days out, as I'm sure you know.

Did you check the prices 50 days out? 30 days out? That's when most of the major price drops occur, including balconies.

Often it doesn't drop much before final payment date if it's a sailing which is selling fairly well, because they know people have the power to call back and get the rates adjusted. It's still typical for the rates to fall somewhat (as they did for your Hawaii cruise), but the real drops occur after final payment date, for obvious reasons.

I still don't understand why anyone books before final payment date, unless they have specific room requirements, are sailing during a big holiday period like Christmas, or are booking suites.

There's still plenty of time to get reasonable airfare when you're 30-50 days out, and you can always book airfare BEFORE booking the cruise, knowing that you will grab the cruise later when the prices go down.

Sometimes you can get better offers when you book earlier, I did on my second cruise. The price never dropped on the room I booked and I was able to chose the exact room I wanted. Some of us research ships. NCL's rooms are pretty standard but on other ships not all rooms for the same category are created equal so you get more for your money. Some of the staterooms are larger in size or have bigger balconies with loungers and you have to book those rooms as soon as sailing becomes available. Royal Caribbean has some great rooms with these great features, if you wait a few months after sailing opens those rooms will be picked through.

Also, like another person said you can make installments. Cruises can sell out. So if you are sure you want to go on a specific cruise and you see a price you want then it's good to book if you are sure you want to go.

NCL seems to drop their prices closer to sail. But some offers are great, like the kids sail for free. There is never a guarantee they will offer that again or that the prices will drop. Could they? Sure. If you don't care then don't book early. It's great to save money. I'm too much of a planner to wait. I like to know what I'm doing and when I'm doing it.

Ok so after looking over everyone opinions, I think what I will do is book an Oceanview room then wait and upgrade to a balcony when and if they offer a free up grade. Would that work ?? Thanks so much to everyone for your words of wisdom.

And the answer to that question is a positive "Maybe". :D

It may work some of the time, other times it won't. As long as you would be happy staying in the OV on the trips where a free upgrade was not offered, then you'll be good to go. If staying in the OV because you didn't get a free upgrade would make you mad as hell, then I would not book the OV to begin with.

I am booked in the Haven on oct 4, 2014. Today there was a $310 price drop for our room category. I immediately called NCL and asked about the price drop. I was told that the supervisor stated the price drop was for the 3rd person in our cabin, not for my husband and I. This dropped his fare from $449 to $149? Obviously, this seems a bit shady and not good customer service when spending serious money. I'd love to hear from anyone who has knowledge in this area. It's going to be a great cruise! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am booked in the Haven on oct 4, 2014. Today there was a $310 price drop for our room category. I immediately called NCL and asked about the price drop. I was told that the supervisor stated the price drop was for the 3rd person in our cabin, not for my husband and I. This dropped his fare from $449 to $149? Obviously, this seems a bit shady and not good customer service when spending serious money. I'd love to hear from anyone who has knowledge in this area. It's going to be a great cruise! Thanks!

They put on the "kids sail free" promo again recently where they only charge port fees and taxes for the 3rd passenger and up.

As the poster above stated, the "Kids (of any age) Sail Free" is the current promo so any 3rd person would only pay port taxes and fees. Easy way to check it yourself is check your booking first with only two passengers and note how much they are paying each.....then do the same with 3 passengers and on the page where you pick your actual cabin (not category) on the right side bottom where it gives the total price you will see "View details" click on it and it will show how much of the total is for each passenger.

And the answer to that question is a positive "Maybe". :D

It may work some of the time, other times it won't. As long as you would be happy staying in the OV on the trips where a free upgrade was not offered, then you'll be good to go. If staying in the OV because you didn't get a free upgrade would make you mad as hell, then I would not book the OV to begin with.

I will still upgrade to a balcony if they don't offer free upgrades just not until closer to the date when the prices drop.

KPGirl- I would strongly suggest you do some homework. Considering this cruise is for your 25th anniversary, I want to make sure you get the most bang for your buck. NCL offers many types of balconies. I believe you want to sail on the Pearl? Start by thoroughly studying the deck plans and reading about the different balcony types and locations at NCL.com. Figure out the category of balcony you want and then the location you either must have or want to avoid. If the Pearl doesn't really have any bad balcony locations, you might as well just book a Balcony Guarantee category. (that's the cheapest balcony category available.) That way you'll at least get a balcony and NCL is pretty famous for sweet upgrades above the booked category. Especially if you book closer to the sail date when they do a major "shuffle". You have plenty of time ~~~ Good luck, have fun, and Happy Anniversary! :)

Alison

Don't bother with the last poster's advice. It was well-meaning but unfortunately incorrect in your case.

Your cruise is 14 months out. It is almost certain that they will have a promo for upgrading ocean view to "balcony guarantee" between now and then. You will save a lot of money that way over simply booking a balcony guarantee.

That's your best bet if you want a balcony without paying $1000/pp or more.

Your sailing is unlikely to fill up early because Sept 20 is an unpopular dare for Alaska. I know it's your anniversary, but you may also want to consider celebrating a month early, just for a nicer experience. But I understand if the date means a lot to you.

Good luck.

I will still upgrade to a balcony if they don't offer free upgrades just not until closer to the date when the prices drop.

As long as you understand there may be no cheap balconies or any balconies at all when you finally decide to upgrade. There are no guarantees which is why you should be at least somewhat happy with what you initially book and then hope you can move up down the road (and not be upset if you can't).

Don't bother with the last poster's advice. It was well-meaning but unfortunately incorrect in your case.

Your cruise is 14 months out. It is almost certain that they will have a promo for upgrading ocean view to "balcony guarantee" between now and then. You will save a lot of money that way over simply booking a balcony guarantee.

That's your best bet if you want a balcony without paying $1000/pp or more.

Your sailing is unlikely to fill up early because Sept 20 is an unpopular dare for Alaska. I know it's your anniversary, but you may also want to consider celebrating a month early, just for a nicer experience. But I understand if the date means a lot to you.

Good luck.

Considering you cannot provide a guarantee, the previous poster's advice was not incorrect. A lot will depend on what the OP will be happy with. I agree, there is a good chance to upgrade but it is not written in stone. So if the OP would be mad as hell and have a miserable cruise no matter what if she was unable to secure a balcony down the road, then I would suggest she book a balcony now (or a GTY to save money). If she can live with the possibility of not securing a balcony down the road, then book the cheapest cabin she can be happy with and hope for an upgrade down the road. You, nor I, can know what she can live with and nothing is for certain.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of your advice, I am going to wait to book. I really can't imagine balconies selling out but no matter what room I get I will be happy as long as its a deal and is not an inside room. I will wait at least until the spring, I will however book my flights as soon as I find a good deal for them.

I've been trying to read through the posts but can't find anything..

I booked a cruise for August 15-18. It was a balcony guarantee BX for $349. I BELIEVE, it had $35 OBC but I can't find it anywhere on my vacation summary.

I went on now, and the prices are $299 for a BX.

There's nothing I can do now right?

Also, does OBC show up right away? My room assignment is still TBD.

Thanks in advance

I've been trying to read through the posts but can't find anything..

I booked a cruise for August 15-18. It was a balcony guarantee BX for $349. I BELIEVE, it had $35 OBC but I can't find it anywhere on my vacation summary.

I went on now, and the prices are $299 for a BX.

There's nothing I can do now right?

Also, does OBC show up right away? My room assignment is still TBD.

Thanks in advance

The rules state once you are past final payment date there are no changes except paying for an upgrade. That being said, others have had some success being a "squeaky wheel". It's up to you to decide if you want to ask for something you are not entitled to.