$1000 deposit for family of 4 for an inside room

This is from Carnival's website, directly:

Required Deposit Per Guest

• Cruise-To-Nowhere - $50 USD (non-refundable)
  • 2 & 3 day - $100 USD
  • 4 day - $150 USD
  • 5 day - $200 USD
  • 6 & 7 days - $250 USD
  • 8 & 9 day - $300 USD
  • Alaska - $350 USD
  • 10 Day or longer - $400 USD
  • Panama Canal cruises - $500 USD

We were lucky enough to come upon one of their $50pp deposit promotions. That was HUGE.

Hoping to see some more of them soon.

New to Carnival, and was looking at a January 2015 cruise on the Sunshine....Pretty much a basic interior room for 4, but is a $1000 deposit really necessary?

They are currently having a $50 deposit/person sale but it's only for cruises this year. It expires soon. Would you sail in December 2014?

Carnival charges by cruise length and itin.

Other cruiselines require a percentage.

Carefully check the fare you book. Some have non-refundable deposits.

If you book a $50deposit and do any changes then you would owe the full deposit amount.

If you book a $50deposit and do any changes then you would owe the full deposit amount.

Be glad it is only $1000. DH and I had to pay $980 deposit for a 7 night Caribbean cruise on Princess for just the 2 of us.

Besides Princess what other lines go by percentage? Not that familiar with most other lines as we only cruise them once in a while.

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

Even on a group cruise, deposits for rooms for more than two require full deposit, at least that is the way with royal and Celebrity. Reason is to prevent people from booking a cabin that hold 3 or 4 and there are only 2 people.

Yea, I want to book for June 2015, but don't feel like tying up $1000.00 for that long, I could be earning interest myself on that! If the rooms I want aren't there next year, just won't go.

deb

Yea, I want to book for June 2015, but don't feel like tying up $1000.00 for that long, I could be earning interest myself on that! If the rooms I want aren't there next year, just won't go.

deb

You can always find an online TA that offers a no deposit deal. Usually will cover the first $500 of a deposit. Eventually you pay it, but it gives you the chance to not have to pony so much upfront, which matters if you are particular about your room. Not allowed to name a site but there are several and they run those offers off and on year round. You just can't book a rate with a non-refundable deposit. Other than that, be on the lookout for Carnival's $50 pp deposit deals. They will offer them in the future I bet.

Wow guess ncl has spoiled me and buying FCC ... Buy 250 on ship they give you 100 obc and when you book your next cruise the 250 counts as full deposit expect for suites

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

deb

That is totally your right since it your money.

I am not a money wiz. How much interest could you make on $1000 in a years time?

Bill

deb

Unless its in stocks or equities it wont be earning that much interest...

I am not a money wiz. How much interest could you make on $1000 in a years time?

Bill

You might get $5 in a year in a saving account, $10 if you're lucky.

Even with stocks 10% is phenomenal, (which would earn you $100) but then you'd have to pay income tax on that (at the full rate since you have to hold a security for 2 1/2 years (I believe that's the length) to qualify for the capital gains rate. And, on top of that, you're putting your vacation at risk since the stock market is volatile.

That's not a good reason to skip a trip.

I was waiting to pull the trigger on a cruise. But knew the dates I wanted. I started in the roll call and was informed one day that there was a 50% off deposit promotion. $500 was a lot easier to come up with than $1000.

I've been throwing $10 and $20 payments almost every day at the cruise. I wish all vacations were this easy.

If only my SO didn't get seasick. With three ships 10 miles away I could cruise 4-5 times a year :-)

Why not do a simple 2 person room for now, to land the booking...then when you have the additional 500, call and have the other two people added. We had this suggested to us by our PVP once. He helped us pick a 4 person cabin so there wouldn't be any problem when the time came.

Besides Princess what other lines go by percentage? Not that familiar with most other lines as we only cruise them once in a while.

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

We didn't have a percentage deposit on our last Princess Cruise. Just per person. Royal generally does about $100 pp as far as I can tell.

We didn't have a percentage deposit on our last Princess Cruise. Just per person. Royal generally does about $100 pp as far as I can tell.

I have 2 bookings with RCI now. One was $250pp for the 7 day on Oasis of the Seas and the 10 day one on Grandeur is $400pp.

I also just did a mock booking on the Princess page and they wanted 10%pp for deposit.

Price without taxes and fees was $1338 and they wanted $268 total to book the cruise.

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

New to Carnival, and was looking at a January 2015 cruise on the Sunshine....Pretty much a basic interior room for 4, but is a $1000 deposit really necessary?

This is one reason why I prefer to book last minute. Prices tend to drop closer to sail date and I don't have to put a small fortune at risk. If I don't care about picking a certain cabin, I don't see any reason to put that much money at risk by making a large deposit way in advance.

Bill

I don't know or care, the point is, I don't want to turn it over to Carnival to "use" for a year, basically a loan to them until I sail, since I am getting nothing for my money before then. But that's just me...... ;)