$1000 deposit for family of 4 for an inside room

We didn't have a percentage deposit on our last Princess Cruise. Just per person. Royal generally does about $100 pp as far as I can tell.

Then that was a special sale.

Princess is generally 20% of the cruise fare. The $980 I just paid last week for a 7 night Caribbean cruise on Princess in January 2015 is exactly 20%. Sometimes, they will have a reduced deposit as part of a promo. Our promo only had a small OBC with it.

Royal Caribbean's deposit is $250.00 per person on a 7 night cruise, unless you are in a GS or above. Then, the deposit is double. For our upcoming Navigator of the Seas the deposit for 3 people was $1500 because we are in a suite. We have another cruise booked on RCCL on the Liberty of the Seas and because we have a suite our deposit was $1000. 3 future cruises booked with $3480 out there in deposits. But, at least the final payments will be smaller and if we change our minds they are fully refundable up until the day before final payment.

HAL also does a percentage to calculate deposit.

Edited by DebJ14

This is one reason why I prefer to book last minute. Prices tend to drop closer to sail date and I don't have to put a small fortune at risk. If I don't care about picking a certain cabin, I don't see any reason to put that much money at risk by making a large deposit way in advance.

We won't book last minute because we want specific cabins that are usually long gone by the time people make final payments. We book early, get our choice of cabin and ride the price down. Already had a $200 drop on our Princess cruise due to a promo that started yesterday. Our TA had already refared the booking and sent the new confirmation before I even had my morning coffee.

Edited by DebJ14

New to Carnival, and was looking at a January 2015 cruise on the Sunshine....Pretty much a basic interior room for 4, but is a $1000 deposit really necessary?

If you want to sail the Ncl breakaway out of NYC for 12 days in January you would get 3 rd and 4 th person free and $100 deposit per person

I am paying $2150 for 3 for 12 days in an inside guarantee. This includes tax and port fee but not tips

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Then that was a special sale.

Princess is generally 20% of the cruise fare. The $980 I just paid last week for a 7 night Caribbean cruise on Princess in January 2015 is exactly 20%. Sometimes, they will have a reduced deposit as part of a promo. Our promo only had a small OBC with it.

Royal Caribbean's deposit is $250.00 per person on a 7 night cruise, unless you are in a GS or above. Then, the deposit is double. For our upcoming Navigator of the Seas the deposit for 3 people was $1500 because we are in a suite. We have another cruise booked on RCCL on the Liberty of the Seas and because we have a suite our deposit was $1000. 3 future cruises booked with $3480 out there in deposits. But, at least the final payments will be smaller and if we change our minds they are fully refundable up until the day before final payment.

HAL also does a percentage to calculate deposit.

You know, I have to take that back about Princess. We were on a 3 day, and I know I paid more than the required deposit, but on a 3 dayer that wasn't really all that much. So, I'm not certain what the deposit would have been.

For Royal, that is what their rep told me on the phone. Our upcoming trip is a 5 day, two OV cabins. He told me first the deposit was a standard $200 per cabin, but then he did change it and say the second cabin was $300 because of the 3rd person.

I apologize for my misinformation.

January will *probably* be fine for a booking closer to the sail date, but remember there are only so many quads.

I need triples when I book family cruises and it's always iffy getting one last minute.

Just keep an eye out for reduced deposit specials if you are going to wait.

New to Carnival, and was looking at a January 2015 cruise on the Sunshine....Pretty much a basic interior room for 4, but is a $1000 deposit really necessary?