Ordering tap water from the deck waiters

richleeds

Well the British Raj is alive and kicking; and hovering around this thread. What a contentious issue!

Interestingly, I have never felt like I am being 'sold' beverages on a ship. Perhaps it's because (generally) my glass is rarely empty when on holiday; not always alcohol, might I add :rolleyes: ...........

You can compare your restaurant in town to dining in the MDR on a ship, of course water will be brought to you as part of the meal service. However daytime on pool deck, P&O places these crew members on deck to SELL you drinks not offer a free water fetching service.

Purely as an aside - Actually its a requirement normally imposed by most local authority licensing departments under the licensing act of 2003 that water is available free of charge in all licensed premises selling alcohol. Not that the act applies outside of England & Wales.

Edited by AchileLauro

Well the British Raj is alive and kicking; and hovering around this thread. What a contentious issue!

Interestingly, I have never felt like I am being 'sold' beverages on a ship. Perhaps it's because (generally) my glass is rarely empty when on holiday; not always alcohol, might I add :rolleyes: ...........

Like it :D

Maybe a fading echo of the Raj where everyone knew their place ;)

Well I was thinking that.

Do these people never get off their sun bed for anything.

You will never feel you are being "sold" drinks as they do it so very well.

I guess I had never thought about it before as it is not something I would ever do..We have sometimes purchased drinks , but as we don't as a rule lay out there for very long-it does not happen very often.

little lumps turning into big lumps.

As regards the comment from someone comparing it with somewhere on land..the waiter then will be bringing food/drinks (of all types) to the table. Bringing some water is neither here nor there.

I did wonder if ai comes in ,where would those guys get their commission from then...I guess from a cut of what is paid for the ai package.

I really don't think the comparison between 'cruise dining' and 'restaurant-in-town dining' is equitable. In a restaurant in town, you would not expect to share your table with strangers; you would also book a table at a time that was suitable to only you and your dining companion(s); you would settle your bill as you left; and you may even leave a monetary token of good service received. None of this applies to 'cruise dining'. Therefore I believe that the rules of engagement are quite different.

Personally I wouldn't dream of asking the waiter to bring me a glass of water. I'm amazed at some of the replies on here.:rolleyes:

Neither would I, as far as I'm concerned, the waiter is there to serve me a drink if I wish to buy one.

I can honestly say I have never, ever seen any waiter, on any ship, going around selling drinks? By my understanding that would be similar to a market trader, touting his wares, and letting you know what was for sale? I don't think so,lol.

Blimey, how hard is it to go and get a glass of water? IMHO they are waiters, not servants.

Serving you a drink if you wish to buy one or selling you one are very much the same thing.

Yes they are getting like market traders, on Ventura last month they were yelling "drinks drinks" every 10 mins as well as "ice creams" every half an hour.

Serving you a drink if you wish to buy one or selling you one are very much the same thing.

Yes they are getting like market traders, on Ventura last month they were yelling "drinks drinks" every 10 mins as well as "ice creams" every half an hour.

If that's the case, yet another reason why we won't be back to P&O!

Hi

Seen this quite a few times when the deck/pool waiters come around asking if anyone would like a drink, some passengers will ask for an iced tap water with lemon and nothing else! What do you think about this?

If the person/s were asked 'Would you like ...' rather than 'do you want to buy..' perhaps that was the answer - 'yes please, I would like some water.'

On another line, I have seen several people accepting champagne at sailaways which are proffered and then looking rather askance when they were asked to sign for it.

If the person/s were asked 'Would you like ...' rather than 'do you want to buy..' perhaps that was the answer - 'yes please, I would like some water.'

On another line, I have seen several people accepting champagne at sailaways which are proffered and then looking rather askance when they were asked to sign for it.

On another line?

This happens all the time on P&O!

If that's the case, yet another reason why we won't be back to P&O!

Well if you make your decision on this one report of this happening perhaps you should investigate further. On our last 6 cruises in the past 2 years I have never seen or heard this happening. So perhaps you should just avoid the cruises richleeds goes on.

Interesting that the reports form everyone from Ventura never mention this, was it one waiter having a bit of fun with people he knew. Or company policy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Well if you make your decision on this one report of this happening perhaps you should investigate further. On our last 6 cruises in the past 2 years I have never seen or heard this happening. So perhaps you should just avoid the cruises richleeds goes on.

Interesting that the reports form everyone from Ventura never mention this, was it one waiter having a bit of fun with people he knew. Or company policy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No - as I said, only another reason :)

I have no idea :-)

I also have no idea what one has to do with the other?

No nor do I :)

Except to say that misunderstandings and misinterpretations happen. Therefore 'Would you like...?' elicits a different response to 'Do you want to buy..?'

Just to second this comment - we were on the Ventura in June/July and experienced this. We found the further away from the pool we sat the less if a problem it became.

Edited by Cloudyrain

Just to second this comment - we were on the Ventura in June/July and experienced this. We found the further away from the pool we sat the less if a problem it became.

Yes, it was bad in June. We got our regular spot at the back on the highest level (deck 19) away from the pools but still they came. To be honest after a while you stop "hearing" them and they just become another noise. I have no issue with a 30 mins drinks call but it was much more frequent and sales driven.

How strange I never thought of the drinks waiters being a selling exercise - I guess it is but I never thought it, it's just nice not having to get up, cover up and go down 2/3 levels for a drink. We don't use it much because OH likes to go and sit at the bar as a break from the sun and I have a cool mug with water in from the self serve. I have on the odd occasion asked for iced water though I didn't know if I was charged for it or not so to find out it was free is another plus.

When I have been on AI holidays I have asked for water when OH was getting a beer (I don't do daytime drinking) from the waiter and it never crossed my mind that I was treating them poorly - maybe I need a re-think??

On all of our P&O cruises iced water has been available at the poolside bars free of charge, you only have to ask. As to asking the waiter for it I only do so if I am also ordering a drink either soft or something stronger, otherwise either my better half or myself will stretch our legs and and take a walk to either the bar or water dispenser. Happy cruising to all.

This isn't as much of a black and whit issue as many seem determined to make it out to be. The waiters are neither there 'just to serve' or 'just to sell'. Their role includes both. I have targets at work but I often have to do things that don't contribute to my targets. Not ideal, but that's the rub.

9/10 I'll go to the bar whatever I want as I like to stretch my legs, but I hardly thinking asking a waiter for a glass of water should be seen as the war crime many seem to see it as.

This isn't as much of a black and whit issue as many seem determined to make it out to be. The waiters are neither there 'just to serve' or 'just to sell'. Their role includes both. I have targets at work but I often have to do things that don't contribute to my targets. Not ideal, but that's the rub.

9/10 I'll go to the bar whatever I want as I like to stretch my legs, but I hardly thinking asking a waiter for a glass of water should be seen as the war crime many seem to see it as.

I don't see it as a war crime but I get this picture in my head of the Roman emperors lounging on their chaise longue while the servant rushed around serving them hand and foot. Made me smile. :)

Maybe a walk to the bar to fetch their own iced-water would be good for sun-bathers - a bit of exercise and getting out of the sun for a short time?

Edited by tartanexile81

I don't see it as a war crime but I get this picture in my head of the Roman emperors lounging on their chaise longue while the servant rushed around serving them hand and foot. Made me smile. :)

Maybe a walk to the bar to fetch their own iced-water would be good for sun-bathers - a bit of exercise and getting out of the sun for a short time?

I know what you mean. It was the 'I've paid a lot for my cruise, I expect to be waited on hand, foot and finger' attitude that got to me.:rolleyes: