Adventure of the Seas and Sheraton Old San Juan

bayjoens

We just got back from the AOS last week, which began and ended its itin in San Juan. We stayed one night before embarking at the Sheraton Old San Juan. One reason I booked there was that it was posted as being across the street from the pier. Well, it is but it is the Carnival pier. You have to take a $10 taxi ride to the RCCL pier.

Still, the hotel was clean and very presentable. They even upgraded us to the suite since the hotel was overbooked. You can bet that my kids loved that. The staff was friendly. BUT the hotel is in a busy area and the rooms are very noisy all night long with traffic and car alarms, etc. I don't think they have double-paned windows and it sounds like all the windows are open when they aren't.

The location was good too. We were able to walk a few blocks within Old San Juan to the Parrot Club for dinner, which was very good, and to La Bombonera for breakfast, which was very local and also good in a local cafe/diner way. And there is a Starbucks a couple of blocks away too. ;)

So, in conclusion, the hotel was fine for what we needed and I would use them again, except that some new friends we met on the cruise said they found a fabulous inn outside of Old San Juan for much less expense. Next time, I will try that one.

Thanks for the review.

I will be staying at the Sheraton OSJ in October and I just posted a question about taxi fare to the pier. Your $10 price coinsides with what someone else said.

Also, it's interesting you mentioned proximity to the piers. I have been to San Juan before and I know that piers 1-4 (Carnival Cruise Lines launches from these piers) are located across the street from the Sheraton OSJ and I knew that the Pan American Pier (where Royal Caribbean launches from) is around and across the bay. Still very close (5 minute taxi ride), but NOT across the street.

When I asked my Sheraton OSJ hotel contact about "how much for a taxi to the Pan American Pier", she said "you can walk, it is across the street". It's a good thing I knew differently and after talking to her more, she said she was relatively new (?). Anyway, just a nice thing for other folks to know.

For those that want an arial view of the port and surrounding area (hotels etc.), Cruise Critic "Clubber" has an excellent picture. I don't have the link saved, but it's listed on several other San Juan Port threads.

Happy Sailing Everyone.

Kim

Kim, have fun. We actually paid too much for the ride to the pier but had made the mistake of loading the luggage in before asking the price. The guy had us then but it wasn't worth messing around with. Yes, it should have been $10.

Archived