WiFi on Carnival Breeze?

DJHomer

Is there a Wifi package on the Breeze (for use on personal devices)? I'll be sailing in a couple of weeks and wondered if it's worth it to bring my ipad. My 3 year old daughter likes to Skype with grandma and grandpa and watch some Netflix Kids shows. Wife and I might use for an email and such but nothing intensive (and can live without).

Others can correct me but I think this is the current offerings. Very Expensive, IMO, for chats with Grandma.

Wireless Users - Laptops and Other Wi-Fi Equipped Devices

• The Wireless Internet Service is compatible with a Wireless 802.11b card, which is the industry standard. You may use your personal laptop while onboard, your iPhone and all other Wi-Fi equipped devices and most software installed on them without restrictions. VPN access on the other hand is restricted to connections of the type, which are not IPsec or PPTP connections. Discuss your VPN limitations with your company's IT department if you are planning to work while sailing. We are not able to change your settings onboard.

New Pricing (currently on limited trial)

The roll out of the new unlimited internet use plans across the fleet has slowed due to issues with the service being unable to supply decent speeds with such high demands.

• New Unlimited Use Plans - offer guests the opportunity to enjoy unlimited internet use. These plans can be used on your personal device or in the Internet Café. They can be used anytime throughout the cruise until debarkation. No refund will be awarded once purchased.
  • Plan Details, Options & Pricing
    • Currently only available on the Carnival Breeze (removed due to inability to supply decent speeds with the high demand), Carnival Dream, Carnival Glory & Carnival Magic
    • Unlimited use; stay connected 24/7
    • Basic Plan
      • $39.99 flat rate for entire cruise
      • Limited to one mobile device and the Internet Café

[*]High Speed Plan

• $99.99 flat rate for entire cruise
      • $29.99 flat rate for per day plan
      • Speed up to 50x faster than Basic Plan
      • Speed and access capable of streaming media, using smartphone apps, and accessing VPN networks

[*]Buy additional per cruise plans for 50% off

• Applies to per cruise plans of equal and lesser value purchased by the same cabin
      • Credit will appear on your sail and sign account within 24 hours

Old Pricing (still in use throughout most of Carnival's Fleet)

Instructions on how to create an account and pricing details are present on-screen in the Internet Café or on your laptop once you connect to Carnival Wi-Fi. Internet pricing is identical, whether you are using the Internet Café terminals, your own laptop or another wireless device. All internet access charges will be billed directly to your onboard "Sail & Sign" Account.

• Activation Fee - a one-time $3.95 charge applies to each user on their first login only.
  • Time Plans - offer guests the opportunity to enjoy a lower per-minute rate. These Time Plans are transferable between Internet Café terminals and personal laptops/wireless devices, can be used anytime throughout the cruise until debarkation and do not have to be used in a single session. No refund will be awarded for unused minutes. Upgrading a pre-selected pricing option is not available and plans are subject to change.
  • Fleet Wide Pricing
    • 480 minutes for $159
    • 240 minutes for $89
    • 120 minutes for $59
    • 45 minutes for $29
    • Pay As You Go: $0.75/minute

[*]Printing - available in the Internet Café at $0.50/page

[*]Airline Boarding Passes - you can check in online and print your airline boarding passes in the Internet Café. Please note that regular printing and online time charges apply.

[*]CruisE-mail® - is our personalized email service set up as a convenience for those guests who either do not have their own email or are unable to access their own service provider. There is an additional charge of $3.95 for each outgoing (sent) message. No additional charges apply for received (incoming) messages. The feature is not available on the Carnival Dream and Carnival Magic.

[*]Laptop Rental

• Carnival Dream, Carnival Magic, & Carnival Breeze - a limited number of laptops are available for rent for $9.00/day or complimentary with the purchase of a 480 or 240 minute Time Plan (while supplies last); a $50.00 deposit will be charged on the guest's Sail & Sign Card and refunded upon returning the laptop; optional insurance is available for $10.00/day.
    • All other ships in the Carnival fleet - a limited number of laptops are available for rent for $10.00/day or complimentary with the purchase of a Time Plan (while supplies last); a $50.00 deposit will be charged on the guest's Sail & Sign Card and refunded upon returning the laptop; optional insurance is available for $10.00/day.

[*]iPhones/Blackberries - iPhones and Blackberries can access the internet two different ways - either using the cellular network or our wireless network. If a guest uses the cellular network, they will be using it at the international data rates of their carrier; if they use our wireless network, they will be prompted to enter the same username/password that they use for accessing the Internet Café and at the same time plan rates.

Before You Go

• Convert your E-mail settings to basic; you will have a better experience if your E-mail is less graphic intense.
  • Discuss VPN limitations with your company's IT department if you are planning to work while sailing. We are not able to change your settings onboard.
  • Get the most from your cruise internet time and your trip - make sure you are powered up and prepared before you board the ship with this handy pre-cruise checklist. Here are a few things you want to remember to pack for your cruise:
    • Wi-Fi enabled laptop and mobile devices
    • Power supply for each of the devices you are bringing with you
    • A charged battery for your trip to the ship
    • Data cables to transfer pictures
    • Headphones
    • Laptop privacy screens

Note: Internet access via satellite is a significantly different experience than high-speed connections on shore. Onboard Internet access is not guaranteed at all times due to the nature of satellite communications, which are subject to occasional disruptions due to weather patterns and location.

I just got back from the Breeze and I use the WIFI-it wasn't the best. I needed it for email. I ended up trying to get some WIFI connection at a local place in port.

I need it again for the upcoming trip as well. Thanks for the helpful tips above.

So it wasn't even fast enough for email?? Did you buy a package?

Thanks for the information so far.

So it wasn't even fast enough for email?? Did you buy a package?

Thanks for the information so far.

Yes, I bought the $59 package twice. Just pulling up email was problem-eventually got the job done. I used my phone and then my ipad thinking it was faster but it wasn't. If you have any issues-go directly to customer service and let them know. I did.

I was on the Breeze last summer, and needed it for schoolwork, along with several other online students that we met onboard. I've never tried video on my computers and tablets due to the signal/service lagging from previous cruises when tried. On the Breeze, the best time to get "good" service is very rely in the morning (don't think the kids or grandparents would be up for that idea), and the best spot to get signal was out on the Lido deck, or the deck above in the area of the Blue Iguana (Cantina and Bar), and Guys Burgers and Red frog Pub. The FunHub on Ocean Plaza was hit and miss even though this is where most people used the internet to check mail. This was be my first cruise in several years where I am totally ahead in my schoolwork, so I won't have to take any computers with me, but will take the iPad for reading and email.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there anyone who very recently cruised on the Breeze that actually got the unlimited plan?

On the DREAM last year no unlimited plan, the regular speed and cost offerings were fine for email for me, in fact I used my VOIP to make a call and it was sufficient.

We were on a back to back at the end of August and they did not offer unlimited.

We found the internet slower than other ships (even to retreive e-mails). We tried my laptop and their workstations. Both were equally slow. I had to check work e-mails daily with my laptop and found the best location was deck 5 near the fun hub. We had connection issues from our deck 2 cabin. As mentioned earlier, early mornings are best to connect or port days when few people are on the ship.

Yes, I bought the $59 package twice. Just pulling up email was problem-eventually got the job done. I used my phone and then my ipad thinking it was faster but it wasn't. If you have any issues-go directly to customer service and let them know. I did.

What did customer service do for you? I had HORRIBLE wifi service on the Breeze last month. I went to customer service and they restarted my minutes over again but were VERY skeptical that it was their wifi and treated me like I was trying to steal from them.

It's 2014 and you can get free WiFi almost anywhere in the world EXCEPT a Carnival Cruise Ship! I was on the Breeze in January and the internet/WiFi package was Brutal at best, very expensive, had to get 60 min packages that got used up waiting to load pages, was Painfully Slow and Brutally expensive! Previous to that I was on the Magic and it had an unlimited package that was great, affordable and worked good too, why is this different for a sister ship? Looks like they have been screwing people over for more than a year now on the Breeze!

It is a lot better than it used to be. Carnival upgraded the communications system on all of its ships. The wifi is better. You still can use the carnival web site forums and send messages for free.

As crewsweeper listed the rates are get better. I don’t know of any cruise line that charges less than Carnival for wifi. Some maybut they charage much more for the cruise.

Most ports of call have free wifi spots. Just beware of your security settings.

What did customer service do for you? I had HORRIBLE wifi service on the Breeze last month. I went to customer service and they restarted my minutes over again but were VERY skeptical that it was their wifi and treated me like I was trying to steal from them.

If you go to guest services, they can actually check and see your usage, and/or how long you were online, and if you had connection problems. After several of us students had problems with the service, and being kicked off, or latency issues, someone told us they would reimburse use for the time, which they did. I couldn't see over the counter at the screen, but Michael at the GS desk informed use that they could see the exact problems that we were stating, and he reimbursed us for the lost time, plus some!!!! I think it depends on who's working the desk that determines if you get the attitude or not, but it shouldn't be that way!!! You did pay for the minutes, and the service was slow, which they can verify, and it's an easy fix!!!