Yukon Jeep tour or Private van tour

travgurl

Skagway- Trying to decide whether or not to go up to the Yukon with a private van company or jeep tour. I have found a guided jeep company and a company where we rent the jeeps ourselves to tour on our own. Suggestions or comments greatly appreciated!

Personally, I don't get the "jeep" interest. :) It's a regular road, easy to drive. Especially the guided jeep tours, they are merely "follow the leader". Pretty lame. The jeep rentals are at least a third more in cost, compared to to a car rental.

There are also some excellent small group tours that ride with the guide narrating.

Skagway- Trying to decide whether or not to go up to the Yukon with a private van company or jeep tour. I have found a guided jeep company and a company where we rent the jeeps ourselves to tour on our own. Suggestions or comments greatly appreciated!

We just returned and rented from Green Jeep tours. It was our first time to Alaska and we enjoyed the freedom of being on our own... stopping when we wanted for as long as we wanted. We saw many others who rented regular passenger rental cars as well as other green jeep renters along the road. The 4 door jeep that we had was $207 for the day. The 2 door is smaller of course and a little bit cheaper. You have to refill the gas tank(which is normal for any rental) and AK gas was pretty pricey, but they got good gas mileage. They let us use a copy of Murray's guide and also included a follow along CD which narrated the trip by mile marker reference which was nice. Oh, and a cooler of snacks and water too. Since we were 2 couples we had no problem paying just over $100 per couple for a day of fun. Couldn't find a ship excursion that inexpensive for sure. I'm not sure how it compares cost-wise to a regular rental, but we figured, what the heck, we're on vacation and drive normal boring cars every day...lol. BUT, you are told that you are definitely NOT to go off-roading with them (didn't really see where you could anyway, but I wasn't really looking for it knowing that we couldn't). Hubby says he saw places tho :) We did hear a "story" of someone on our ship who broke a tie rod off-roading and missed the ship to the next port. Truth factor of that "story"=unknown, however. We were that we could use the 4wd if necessary (not sure what occasion that would be). The views were simply stunning the whole way, though, no matter what kind of vehicle people were driving. Will probably do it again when we go back next year. And, they were super nice to deal with from reservation, to pick up at the pier, to drop off. Added bonus...their "office" is in a popcorn store. Got a free bag since it was my actual bday.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Forums mobile app

1406173160828.jpg.3d59fc84b229ab5936b02683cd10a8d7.jpg

1406173207176.jpg.fa5e0440b66c92c53c5ae23981087ee4.jpg

1406173301986.jpg.6df8d4ba9d0bc5f2ac41c66380f5ebec.jpg

1406173330352.jpg.388c3eb9b988a7a47dddcf3a91e5f19b.jpg

We took a private tour to the Yukon and while we were travelling, we passed a convoy of jeeps who looked like they were in a rush to get to their destination. They didn't stop at the usual photostops and our guide said it was because the company tries to squeeze in two trips a day so their main aim is to get to Carcross and back pronto. On the way back, we passed the other convoy of jeeps and we happened to be at the Yukon sign taking pictures - I felt sorry for the first few jeeps who drove past and had to take pictures of the sign with us posing there (we got out as fast as we could so the later jeeps managed to snap shots of the sign as it was).

Depending on the size of your group, the private van tours can be quite economical as well. We booked with Tom and Michelle of TNT, Trail of '98 Tours and had an outstanding tour into the Yukon. You pay a flat rate for their vans so the larger the group the better the cost per person is! Read some of their reviews on Trip Advisor, they've got an excellent track record with their visitors. You have all the time you want at any and all of the great photo stops. No rush from Tom and Michelle. Our family voted it as the best excursion of our Alaska visit this summer!

DBid777--thanks for your information about TNT. Glad to hear your great reviews about this company! We have booked with them for next summer. I know this trip is a year a way but I have the port excursions booked I am happy that they are confirmed. Now we can just look forward to what is ahead. Thanks again.