Concierge

ryansmemom

I was reading another thread on this board and there was mention of a concierge onboard Radisson ships. It was also mentioned that there was a charge for concierge services.

My husband (Chimera) and I are sailing on the Navigator on August 24. This is our first Radisson cruise. We have sailed on HAL in suites and are accustomed to using the concierge services quite extensively for services that are normally provided by the purser or shore excursion desk. On HAL the concierge also makes spa or restaurant reservations as well as many other services. For example, on our last cruise, the airline damaged my wheelchair and the concierge arranged for it to be welded on board. Not that I am anticipating needing anything of that magnitude. I am just trying to explain the services provided.

To cut to the chase, is there a concierge onboard the Navigator? What services does the concierge provide? What if any are the charges for this services? We are in a B level suite and do have Butler service. I do not know if the Butler provides any of the services we have recieved from the HAL concierge.

Linda :confused:

There is a concierge aboard all RSSC ships. They can handle special things, such as private tours, cars, and other things that are not provided by RSSC. We've been on 10 RSSC cruises on all of their ships in the past 2 1/2 years and have never had the need to use the concierge services.

Was not even aware of the concerige on this ship last time. On a ship such as the Norweigan Dawn, we sure did need the concerige for many things, but on Radisson, there are so many helpful staff. Have not had a butler on this ship but would imagine he/she would be the starting point. We found the Hotel Director always willing to be of service, his office being adjacent to the purser's desk and always open.

We don't not usually dine off the ship for dinner as we love the cuisine in the Compass Rose with very good wines, then the Cheese Trolly and glass of port. Before we began sailing to Bermuda and stayed in hotels and dining in any restaurant was quite expensive. So now that the ship is our hotel and meals are already included, we have not dined out for dinner - only lunch, stopping at any place that looks nice or was recommedned and have not needed reservations at this time of day.

Ok, I think I've got this, on Radisson, the concierge handles things that are off the ship. This is different than HAL where the concierge handles activites that are normally handled by the purser shore excursion desk,etc. This is because HAL is not an all suite ship, therefore there is a special suite lounge with concierge for the exclusive use of suite passengers located on the suite deck. The ships are larger so it saves a considerable amout of walking if you are challenged in that way.

As we do not plan on doing any private tours or on shore dining I suppose we will not need the services of the concierge. If I have this correct, other staff members will assist us.

Thanks again!

Linda

The Concierg made dinner reservations for us at a local restaurant when we overnighted on the Voyager in Shanghi but we weren't charged for his service. Other than that, we've never needed the Concierg for anything.

This is the first I ever heard of being charged extra for the services of the Concierge as this was considered a feature of a fine hotel or establishment. It was of course expected that the Concierge would be tipped in accordance with the services provided.

My family and I were on the NCL Dawn last April and qualified for Concierge Services which we used extensively as they had closed out the Disney Excursion (on a holiday cruise did not book enough slots) which she got us on, provided us with priority tender tickets and disembarkation (we literally were to first off the ship, before clearance was called), booked restaurants for us (there are many on this ship and those without cover charges do not take reservations, but she provided them for us). Every day she sent to each of our 3 cabins, platters of appetizers (cheese and crackers/peanut butter and jelly tea sandwiches for the little ones, smoked salmon and caviar for the adults). We were treated royally and she was compensated well for her services. I thought I was tipping her exactly what she deserved, yet her reaction was that this was very, very generous and much above the usual received. Indeed, she sent a letter to all who used her services that the services of a butler and concierge were expected to be compensated by gratuities. Her assistant told us that many passengers either were not aware of the custom to tip the butler and concierge or did not think it necessary.

So I am thinking that since this is a no tipping cruise line, in keeping with that policy, Radisson, just charges those who actually use the concierge's services However, I for one would rather the concierge services be included in the cost of the cruise. If NCL can provide a concierge as part of your suite experience, why not Radisson, the luxury line.

You will find that your butler provides the services onboard that you are looking for. He will make reservations, handle your incabin liquor order if you want anything other than the standard four bottles, etc. He will supervise room service and any other incidentals that you need. Each afternoon he will bring you a lovely plate of snacks, and at least on the Diamond a glass of wine or bubbly. You will feel very pampered indeed.

Archived