Preauthorized Charges at Start of Cruise

I have done a search on the threads but have not seen an answer to this particular question. I have often read that RCCL will preauthorize charges based on a certain amount per day for the cruise. I will be taking a 2 week cruise soon and wondered how much they might put the hold on for that cruise. Is it a certain amount per day or just a general lump sum? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

I have done a search on the threads but have not seen an answer to this particular question. I have often read that RCCL will preauthorize charges based on a certain amount per day for the cruise. I will be taking a 2 week cruise soon and wondered how much they might put the hold on for that cruise. Is it a certain amount per day or just a general lump sum? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Are you using,cash, credit card or a debit card for your onboard account? Edited by FLACRUISER99

Are you using,cash, credit card or a debit card for your onboard account?

I always use a credit card but one with a lower limit, nothing charged on it when I go on the cruise. Before for 7 days it has not been an issue but just wondered what they preauthorize on the first day. I know they do that but usually it is gone by the time I have seen my card online when I return. I never log onto the internet while on a ship.

I always use a credit card but one with a lower limit, nothing charged on it when I go on the cruise. Before for 7 days it has not been an issue but just wondered what they preauthorize on the first day. I know they do that but usually it is gone by the time I have seen my card online when I return. I never log onto the internet while on a ship.
On my BOA RCI card they put a pending charge on each days spending daily. At the end of the cruise they change these to your balance owed to the ship. I only know this because I have selected to get an email for every charge. I do not think they put any kind of hold on when you board but I'm not sure. I hope this is a help.

On my BOA RCI card they put a pending charge on each days spending daily. At the end of the cruise they change these to your balance owed to the ship. I only know this because I have selected to get an email for every charge. I do not think they put any kind of hold on when you board but I'm not sure. I hope this is a help.

I have also seen no pre-authorizations on our RCI Visa card, and I have checked when I'm onboard.

Thanks for the quick replies. I really want to pay this off before I leave the ship but it is such a hassle to not give a credit card up front. As I said, it has a very low limit and I charge very little but in the past I had heard a number like $70 a day and with a 14 day cruise, that is a hefty amount that the company might deny.

Thanks for the quick replies. I really want to pay this off before I leave the ship but it is such a hassle to not give a credit card up front. As I said, it has a very low limit and I charge very little but in the past I had heard a number like $70 a day and with a 14 day cruise, that is a hefty amount that the company might deny.
I think that's for a cash or debit card account.

Call the credit card company and explain and see if they will allow you to prepay the amount on the card so that you have a credit before departing.

I plan to call them ahead of time but my deal is I hope not to use it at all. I have a hefty OBC, have prepaid all gratuities, have prepaid a couple of dinners in the specialty restaurants, and I will be taking extra British Pounds that I plan to apply to the account after we leave England. I do an occasional glass of wine at dinner so even the OBC might not be totally used. So I really do not want to pay ahead. But it is a good suggestion. Thanks.

Maybe your answer would be with RCI, give them a call, if a Ta is used they should have that answer

I plan to call them ahead of time but my deal is I hope not to use it at all. I have a hefty OBC, have prepaid all gratuities, have prepaid a couple of dinners in the specialty restaurants, and I will be taking extra British Pounds that I plan to apply to the account after we leave England. I do an occasional glass of wine at dinner so even the OBC might not be totally used. So I really do not want to pay ahead. But it is a good suggestion. Thanks.

If you have OBC then there should be no holds until you have used all the OBC.