Legal gratuity charge

hintanjul

Some very good scenarios on this thread and some items to ponder too but still no answer to the actuality of why we tip.

Like I previously said no one tips me for doing my day to day jobs efficiently and courteously so why do we tip on board ships and in bars and restaurants?

A truthful and sensible reply would be helpful...........

The catering industry pays extremely low wages with refrence to the good tradition of tipping. In some countries i.e. Germany service charges are already included in the prices on the menue and it is up to the guest to give extra tip. In the US the tradition is to show only the price of the prepared or sold goods on the menue and pay the waiters extra - this calling "tip" wheras correctly looked at it is only an appropriate service charge.

No, I disagree. I do not know what sort of wine will be served for 30$, but it certainly will not receive the same service as a bottle of Petrus.

I doubt there is anyone in the Britania resteraunt who would know how to serve Petrus.

David

I doubt there is anyone in the Britania resteraunt who would know how to serve Petrus.

David

I guarantee that you are wrong. Neither will all BR guest be of a basic consumer level nor will all waiters.

I guarantee that you are wrong. Neither will all BR guest be of a basic consumer level nor will all waiters.

I'm not sure what basic consumer level means, all sorts of folk book Cunard cruises nowadays thankfully, but my experience of wine waiters in the BR is that they know the basics, but little actually about the wines on the list. Believe me I have asked. This is fine for me: Cunard classes the BR as fine dining but I doubt many believe that. It's best aspect is the room which is magnificent.

David.

There would always be somebody claiming they hadn't had a drink; sad but true😗

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's true.

Part of me wonders why cruise lines can't just include all tips in the price of drinks and gratuities in the price of the cruise.

I'm sure it's all to do with consumer perception. Paying $3,000 for a cruise plus gratuities looks better at time of booking than $3,200.

Funny how our minds work.

I'm not sure what basic consumer level means, all sorts of folk book Cunard cruises nowadays thankfully, but my experience of wine waiters in the BR is that they know the basics, but little actually about the wines on the list. Believe me I have asked. This is fine for me: Cunard classes the BR as fine dining but I doubt many believe that. It's best aspect is the room which is magnificent.

David.

Sure, but this may not apply to all.

I'm sure it's all to do with consumer perception. Paying $3,000 for a cruise plus gratuities looks better at time of booking than $3,200.

It would be a win win for almost everyone. The staff would gain because they would get $200 from every passenger, rather than the somewhat less they get now because of the refuseniks queuing at reception. Passengers would gain because they would no longer need to concern themselves with gratuities and Cunard would gain with happier staff who would know just how much in tips to expect.

Losers would be the guys in the queue.

David.

It would be a win win for almost everyone. The staff would gain because they would get $200 from every passenger, rather than the somewhat less they get now because of the refuseniks queuing at reception. Passengers would gain because they would no longer need to concern themselves with gratuities and Cunard would gain with happier staff who would know just how much in tips to expect.

Losers would be the guys in the queue.

David.

It sounds wonderful in theory. We Brits and Australians and Kiwis would love it and would keep to the system. However, the Americans would still feel they needed to tip and so we'd have a system where extra tips were added by some but not by others and the staff would start feeling entitled to those extra tips. Cunard would have to make it VERY plain that it was a no-tipping line.

I know some lines have that stated policy. I wonder how it works out in practice.

I know I feel very peculiar in the dining room when people are handing over envelopes and I don't (because I've paid mine up front - but I know from discussions that they haven't). It leaves me looking mean!

It sounds wonderful in theory. We Brits and Australians and Kiwis would love it and would keep to the system. However, the Americans would still feel they needed to tip and so we'd have a system where extra tips were added by some but not by others and the staff would start feeling entitled to those extra tips. Cunard would have to make it VERY plain that it was a no-tipping line.

I know some lines have that stated policy. I wonder how it works out in practice.

I know I feel very peculiar in the dining room when people are handing over envelopes and I don't (because I've paid mine up front - but I know from discussions that they haven't). It leaves me looking mean!

You are correct, fantasy 51…

Many of us Americans are compulsive tippers…

It is so engrained in us. It is also any opportunity (we feel) to help someone less fortunate--which is besides the point of what tipping is intended to do, but offers explanation of our behavior.

IF as you suggest, there was a stated "no additional tipping" policy, however, Dh and I would adhere to it…

Cruise lines, like Cunard, act as enablers by providing envelops--which gives the message that additional tipping is encouraged.

DH and I do try to slip envelops to servers as inconspicuously as possible. We agree that additional tipping is not necessary and understand our shipmates from UK take a different stance than we do---for good reasons.

We do not feel you are stingy and respect you for standing by your principles.

That's true.

Part of me wonders why cruise lines can't just include all tips in the price of drinks and gratuities in the price of the cruise.

Totally agree. A no tipping stance might work, and as people have suggested other lines do include tipping within the price with a statement along the lines that extra tipping is not asked for or expected. I do not expect to be told how much staff receive in salary (it might stop me cruising) however they could make a statement about how much percentage they will receive in gratuities.

Personally, I much prefer the Japanese system, where a tip is considered as an insult. But sadly, there are no Japanese cruise ships sailing from Southampton.

I'm okay with paying my 15% on-board, it's part of my contract with the company and I can choose to drink or not. But I do get a bit frustrated with the American compulsion to tip when outside their own fair land. When in Rome....

Totally agree. A no tipping stance might work, and as people have suggested other lines do include tipping within the price with a statement along the lines that extra tipping is not asked for or expected. I do not expect to be told how much staff receive in salary (it might stop me cruising) however they could make a statement about how much percentage they will receive in gratuities.

At the end of the day I am happy to pay either way, but I really think the current system is more complicated.

For Americans, I recognise this is how it's done.

At the end of the day I am happy to pay either way, but I really think the current system is more complicated.

For Americans, I recognise this is how it's done.

Well, if paying a drink is a personal challenge I would stop drinking.:D

When writing this I am in the process of configurating my next car - that really is a challenge:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

It basically boils down to a difference in how prices are displayed.

Some countries such as the UK, use an ALL-IN approach whereby the price shown is inclusive of all taxes, charges, extra etc.

Other countries such as the US only show the base price. And any sales taxes, service charges, tips are added on afterwards.

Cruise ships have historically followed the second option. You will be told several time what extra will be added to the prices, whether it's $7 a day, or 15% or whatever, and they assume you can do the basic maths needed to work out if the end product is still worth it to you.

That's true.

I have just read the latest newspapers back here in Northumberland and there is a veritable deluge of adverts for RCI/Celebrity etc etc cruises and guess what? They are promoting free drinks packages, free gratuities and free flights/car parking....... uncanny dont you agree???

BUT.......Hold hard there. On further investigation the prices for the cruises with these fantastic 'free' offers have all shot up in price. And the increase is uncannily similar to the price of the free stuff.

So you see the cruise lines are robber barons from days of yore as previously stated.

You get what you pay for folks. No way round it unless you reside in Moonfleet village. :D:D:D

Hi Mr Jimmybean

Re your less fortunate line, we were on RCI in the Med a couple of years ago and our 2 bar guys, Zavvi and Big Al, were heading off for their leave. We asked if their flights were paid for by RCI and Al whips out a black AMEX card and says "no need with this baby"

Great timing but less fortunate? i think not...:D:D:D

... On further investigation the prices for the cruises with these fantastic 'free' offers have all shot up in price. And the increase is uncannily similar to the price of the free stuff. ...
So... (just so I understand :confused: ),

... If you want a drink, you have to pay for it, either when booking your holiday, or when ordering your drink?

Either way, you have to pay for drinks? The company won't give them to you, gratis, out of the goodness of their hearts?

You mean, like you have pay in pubs and restaurants on land when you want a drink?

You learn something new every day. Thank you :) .

Edited by pepperrn

So... (just so I understand :confused: ),

... If you want a drink, you have to pay for it, either when booking your holiday, or when ordering your drink?

Either way, you have to pay for drinks? The company won't give them to you, gratis, out of the goodness of their hearts?

You mean, like you have pay in pubs and restaurants on land when you want a drink?

Peppern, can't really see your point. My OBC generally covers the costs of my wine consumption if I don't go steadily over 100$ per bottle:rolleyes:

Edited by cunardaddict

I know it is mathematically the same price but I too wish that Cunard would price things to include any "service charge" Even though I live in USA I still would prefer to know "up front" the "Total cost"

Why is that not done, well being suspicious I think that some bright spark worked out that there are confused customers who do not know that the term "service charge" is the same as "tips for staff.

On my cruise one table companion asked me what to do re tips to waiter on last night . It transpired she did not know that the "Hotel Charge " was for "tips", just as some do not know that the "gratuity" line on the drinks bill is also covered by "15% service charge" on the calculation.

I know it is mathematically the same price but I too wish that Cunard would price things to include any "service charge" Even though I live in USA I still would prefer to know "up front" the "Total cost"

Why is that not done, well being suspicious I think that some bright spark worked out that there are confused customers who do not know that the term "service charge" is the same as "tips for staff.

On my cruise one table companion asked me what to do re tips to waiter on last night . It transpired she did not know that the "Hotel Charge " was for "tips", just as some do not know that the "gratuity" line on the drinks bill is also covered by "15% service charge" on the calculation.

I agree. I much prefer the UK way of "Total Pricing" if you will. I hate the add-ons.

I agree. I much prefer the UK way of "Total Pricing" if you will. I hate the add-ons.

So here we are when even Americans want up front prices. As I have said for ages the only losers would be in the queue at reception. More tips would be collected, staff would be happier.

But then of course Cunard would not be able to compete on brochure price. Who against, P&O, Fred Olsen Cruise Maritime? Cunard the class cruise line in the world?

David

You are most welcome, however, if you were not trying to be such a clever person you would see what I meant....

They are advertising free when in reality they are incorporating the price into....

Oh never mind. Someone as clever and erudite as you will understand the whole thing.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

NCL is doing something new this month: all inclusive pricing for 2015 cruises it sells this August. Price is based on length of cruise - 7 day sailing priced at $899 versus $359 for its basic low season fare this fall. Package includes unlimited drinking, $200 shore excursion credit, prepaid gratuities, 20 photos, bottled water, 4 hours of internet, and waives the cover charge for the specialty restaurants. NCL expects about 20% of bookings will be all inclusive.

One Christmas Eve, on another line, my DH ordered 3 bottles of champagne for our party who were celebrating friends` 50th wedding anniversary. The waiter filled the glasses only once then disappeared. That waiter did not give suitable service for the 15% we paid (it was a big bill) but we did not remove the service charge. This is one occasion where we maybe should have.