which deck on mariner

corniglia

Planning to cruise alaska next year on Mariner and have never cruised before. Thinking of "B" or "c" class cabins but not sure how important which deck to choose. What should I consider when choosing a deck?
Also, on the Alaska cruise, does it matter which side of the ship your cabin is on?
thanks
Sue

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]We like the Cat C on deck 9 and normally get 914, because you only have a balcony on one side of you. Starboard side stateroom is the same. If you're going north I'd suggest the starboard side; port side for a southern transit. Wouldn't spend the extra money for a Cat B just to get a butler. You'll love the Cat C penthouse suite!

I like the Cat H on deck 7. We have sailed 19 days in Cat F on deck 8 and loved it. What we found great was being near the rear stairs/elevators. I have yet to sail in a Cat C so I could not tell you if it is worth it over base cabin. My preference would be for Cat H and spend all the savings on wonderful shore excursions.

marc

12/19/02 Mariner
05/24/03 Diamond
10/01/03 Voyager
12/27/03 Voyager
<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">
<param name="font" value="lcdb0">
<param name="year" value=2004>
<param name="month" value=6>
<param name="day" value=2>
<param name="hour" value=12>
</applet>
Seven Seas Navigator Bermuda
<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">
<param name="month" value=10>
<param name="day" value=4>
<param name="hour" value=7>
</applet>
Diamond Oct 4th (DOF)
<param name="month" value=11>
<param name="day" value=21>
<param name="hour" value=07>
</applet>
Seven Seas Voyager Transatlantic

Sue,

We are going on the Mariner to Alaska this June. We will be G category midship on the starboard side. We are going south from Seward. There were no "regular" cabins left on the port side. It appears that all the regular cabins are the same size and all have balconies. So it is only the level or floor that differs between these. I have read from many people that there is less motion on the lower levels at midship.

It will be our first cruise as well. We are really anticipating it. Maybe we will upgrade to a higher or large cabin sometime in the future.

Ginny

While I generally agree with Marc's and Dougburns' recommendations I would like to point out that the best place (IMHO) to "experience" your Alaska cruise is outside. Preferably somewhere with at leaset a 180 degree field of view.

This is a wonderful trip.
Greg

USNA72

Sue,

We are going on the Mariner for the first time next month, L.A. to Vancouver... category C, as they reposition her from the Caribbean for the summer Alaskan cruises.

We have taken the Alaskan cruise before on Princess (Seward to Vancouver, 7 nights).......I agree with dougburns advice.......however, starboard or port, forward or aft....with a balcony, there is no bad location when you are going to Alaska...it is really beautiful.

We hope to make the trip to your wonderful area one day soon....hope you make your Alaskan trip next year and have a great time! Write if you have any specific questions. Best to you....

Dwight
So. Cal.

Archived