Red Hook to LGA airport

cosmics

Hi Next month we arrive at Red Hook ( 2 adults )

We will be self check out from my experience of this in the past I'm usually through US Immigration by 8.15am. I would hope to leave Red Hook by 8.30 at latest.

A)Would I best getting a cab or car service to LGA?

B) would I make a 11.00am domestic flight in good time?

Hi Next month we arrive at Red Hook ( 2 adults )

We will be self check out from my experience of this in the past I'm usually through US Immigration by 8.15am. I would hope to leave Red Hook by 8.30 at latest.

A)Would I best getting a cab or car service to LGA?

B) would I make a 11.00am domestic flight in good time?

Is it a week day or a weekend?

without traffic its a 20 minute ride to LGA BUT if its a weekday you are in the AM rush hour. It can take a hour or more to get to LGA in the AM rush hour. so if you are out by 8:30 am even an hour isn't a problem.

especially if the cab driver knows what he is doing you should be ok...

personally I would use a car service. If its the rush hour the cab's meter would click away...

I use Arecibo 7187836465, you call as you are getting off and they should be there quickly.

I use Arecibo 7187836465, you call as you are getting off and they should be there quickly. Do you pre book then call or just call on disembarkation with a booking?

I would call and let them know but I suspect they will tell you to call back when you are ready and they will send someone

Thanks for comments.

I am still unsure about 11.00am flight departure due to variables. I have found another flight with a different carrier ( same price ) that meets my requirements out of LGA leaving at 1.30pm what do you think would that make for a relaxed transfer?

PS knowing my luck I will get to LGA there early and sat around lol

Thanks for comments.

I am still unsure about 11.00am flight departure due to variables. I have found another flight with a different carrier ( same price ) that meets my requirements out of LGA leaving at 1.30pm what do you think would that make for a relaxed transfer?

PS knowing my luck I will get to LGA there early and sat around lol

I think its nuts to take a leisurely vacation and then have to rush for a plane. take the 1:30...

I think its nuts to take a leisurely vacation and then have to rush for a plane. take the 1:30...

OK... don't need the potential stress I will use car service too... you are correct set price is better than ticking meter in cab all sound advice.

Whether it's a weekday or weekend, there are NOT a lot of yellow taxis for hired (without passengers & waiting) at the Brooklyn pier (unlike Manhattan's West Side pier) so lines can be long, very long, to get into a taxi - even if you managed to get off the ship early. A car service is better on a flat rate, for obvious reasons.

Two other no-frills local/Brooklyn car service in nearby Sunset Park (employer have "corporate" accounts with them) for calling as backup - Mega (718) 633-2020 and Bell Car Service (718) 833-2929 (gobellny.com) And, of course - Dial7 and our preferred Carmel car service that's metro/citywide.

If you booked the later 13:30 flight out of LGA, you have more time to relax and don't need to rush off the ship (although the crew would loved to get everyone off ASAP to do their turnaround & start embarkation for the next group.) Starting at 9 or 9:30 AM will be toward the tail of the morning rush hour/weekday commute for many New Yorkers & the one and only highway, BQE or I-278 North will not be as crowded or jammed with traffic (although it's never predictable) for the 60 minutes travel time that I would allocate to get to the airport terminal.

If you get to LGA "early" - finish the checkin & luggage dropoff and take advantage of the food court on the "landside" before TSA/security - nice place to sit, relax & get some lunch first. There isn't, food-wise, anything worthwhile "airside" beyond the checkpoint in the central/main terminal - and, yes, they are all overpriced airport restaurant chains. Enjoy your cruise & have a nice big breakfast on the morning of disembarkaton first. :D

Edited by mking8288

Whether it's a weekday or weekend, there are NOT a lot of yellow taxis for hired (without passengers & waiting) at the Brooklyn pier (unlike Manhattan's West Side pier) so lines can be long, very long, to get into a taxi - even if you managed to get off the ship early. A car service is better on a flat rate, for obvious reasons.

Two other no-frills local/Brooklyn car service in nearby Sunset Park (employer have "corporate" accounts with them) for calling as backup - Mega (718) 633-2020 and Bell Car Service (718) 833-2929 (gobellny.com) And, of course - Dial7 and our preferred Carmel car service that's metro/citywide.

If you booked the later 13:30 flight out of LGA, you have more time to relax and don't need to rush off the ship (although the crew would loved to get everyone off ASAP to do their turnaround & start embarkation for the next group.) Starting at 9 or 9:30 AM will be toward the tail of the morning rush hour/weekday commute for many New Yorkers & the one and only highway, BQE or I-278 North will not be as crowded or jammed with traffic (although it's never predictable) for the 60 minutes travel time that I would allocate to get to the airport terminal.

If you get to LGA "early" - finish the checkin & luggage dropoff and take advantage of the food court on the "landside" before TSA/security - nice place to sit, relax & get some lunch first. There isn't, food-wise, anything worthwhile "airside" beyond the checkpoint in the central/main terminal - and, yes, they are all overpriced airport restaurant chains. Enjoy your cruise & have a nice big breakfast on the morning of disembarkaton first. :D

I have booked 1.30 you are correct more relaxed I will be using car service

Great advice about LGA never flown from LGA only EWR I will eat landside as you suggest.

The trip between Brooklyn's Red Hook pier and LGA is a relatively short & easy run for car service, and unless weather is a factor on your arrival - these car service, with 2 or 3 hour notice, should be able to schedule & find a car/driver to do the pickup. Carmel has a free APP and you can download & use it (first, create an account) and book it ahead or call, then reconfirm on the morning of arrival - before the ship is docked & cleared by local authorities to begin disembarkation. The slow & easy sailing time from Lower New York Bay/Sandy Hook & pass the VZ Bridge for the pier generally take 1.5 to 2+ hours, and cell phone will have a solid home signal by then to make calls - you can book them then.

Write back & bring those several car service phone #'s before leaving so you can call without looking them up. Mega & Bell Car Service aren't much different than our local ones here in Queens (we are north of LGA across the Bay with rooftop/attic views of the runways - watching plane land & takeoff) - even with pre-booking them, which they would log into their computer system - asked us to call when we are ready for the trip with all the passengers & luggage, and they will dispatch the car/van; and, generally there within 10 to 15 minutes (well, once or twice, it did take up to 30 minutes due to traffic/weather). It's still better than standing in a long taxi queue or line and counting how many are in front of you.

Most of the hard-working neighbhorhood car service drivers working for Bell & Mega are bilingual Spanish/English speaking - they do HATE going into Manhattan from Brooklyn but almost all of them have in the past several years, taken pax & picked up "fares" from the Red Hook pier and nearby Ikea store, so they won't get lost getting there or taking you to LGA (or JFK.)

The smaller car service always prefer a pre-booking ahead so that they can plan ahead and/or hold their car/drivers on the way back or keep them near their base/garage - even if that's only 1 or 2, or 3 hours of notice. With Carmel, call their voice line & ask them about any change/rescheduling fees if the ship is unexpectingly DELAYED due to unforseen reason - they shouldn't charge you extra, but someone else recently thought they DID or could do so, confirm it with their dispacher. Or, find out if they will have any trouble with a last minute booking with 2 hour notice (which I don't believe is the case or else they won't survive the business) - the worst case for us locally is that they have no cars/minivans for the next 90 minutes & asked us to call another company instead.

The trip between Brooklyn's Red Hook pier and LGA is a relatively short & easy run for car service, and unless weather is a factor on your arrival - these car service, with 2 or 3 hour notice, should be able to schedule & find a car/driver to do the pickup. Carmel has a free APP and you can download & use it (first, create an account) and book it ahead or call, then reconfirm on the morning of arrival - before the ship is docked & cleared by local authorities to begin disembarkation. The slow & easy sailing time from Lower New York Bay/Sandy Hook & pass the VZ Bridge for the pier generally take 1.5 to 2+ hours, and cell phone will have a solid home signal by then to make calls - you can book them then.

Write back & bring those several car service phone #'s before leaving so you can call without looking them up. Mega & Bell Car Service aren't much different than our local ones here in Queens (we are north of LGA across the Bay with rooftop/attic views of the runways - watching plane land & takeoff) - even with pre-booking them, which they would log into their computer system - asked us to call when we are ready for the trip with all the passengers & luggage, and they will dispatch the car/van; and, generally there within 10 to 15 minutes (well, once or twice, it did take up to 30 minutes due to traffic/weather). It's still better than standing in a long taxi queue or line and counting how many are in front of you.

Most of the hard-working neighbhorhood car service drivers working for Bell & Mega are bilingual Spanish/English speaking - they do HATE going into Manhattan from Brooklyn but almost all of them have in the past several years, taken pax & picked up "fares" from the Red Hook pier and nearby Ikea store, so they won't get lost getting there or taking you to LGA (or JFK.)

The smaller car service always prefer a pre-booking ahead so that they can plan ahead and/or hold their car/drivers on the way back or keep them near their base/garage - even if that's only 1 or 2, or 3 hours of notice. With Carmel, call their voice line & ask them about any change/rescheduling fees if the ship is unexpectingly DELAYED due to unforseen reason - they shouldn't charge you extra, but someone else recently thought they DID or could do so, confirm it with their dispacher. Or, find out if they will have any trouble with a last minute booking with 2 hour notice (which I don't believe is the case or else they won't survive the business) - the worst case for us locally is that they have no cars/minivans for the next 90 minutes & asked us to call another company instead.

I appreciate your time and effort in giving me much good information.