Best excursions in Labadee

CreativeCruiser119

I did the zip line this past March on the Oasis, and probably will again next year on the Allure. However, with me having a moderate fear of heights, the 45-second one on the island may not be for me!

I will say I am afraid of heights, my husband knows it, my kids knows it, but I did it in Jamaica and after the first three zips, you will get use to it and you'll start having fun, ziplining is really neat and fun, On our cruises, we try to go out of our comfort zone and make it memorable :)

In 2010 my husband and I did the 'Haitian Cultural Tour with beach break' and the 'Jet Ski Tour'.

The Cultural Tour was fine. They walk you up a hill with stopping points marked 'making peanut butter' or 'handmade crafts' where they have locals demonstrating that skill. It was staged but everyone at Labadee works for Royal, so I was expecting that. It was mildly informative and we got to go to one of the private beaches and relax for an hour or so, which was nice.

The Jet Ski Tour was exactly like another poster stated: 'follow the leader'. You don't get to drive around, you just follow the tour guide in a straight line, stop when he wants to point something out, and then race to the next point. It was supposed to be an hour tour, but because the guides race from point to point it did not last that long. If we were allowed to use the remaining time to ride around, it would have felt like a better experience, but we weren't. (I think it was $95 for the driver and $30 for the passenger.)

We're going back in September and decided to rent a cabana to make a nice beach day of the visit.

I'd recommend the Cultural Tour but I wouldn't get your hopes up for enlightening insight into the Haitian Culture. Just a mildly entertaining trip up a hill with a stop at the beach.

I wouldn't really recommend the jet Ski Tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bhaybeegrl

We have been to Labadee several times and it gets better each time. However, we found out a little known fact about tipping. We purchased a number of drinks and other items from the Hatians, representing the cruise line and we thought they would be getting the tips for the purchase. We were told by several that the tips are kept by the cruise line and the Hatians get to keep only cash tips. Please tell me our sources are all wet??? :confused:

We have been to Labadee several times and it gets better each time. However, we found out a little known fact about tipping. We purchased a number of drinks and other items from the Hatians, representing the cruise line and we thought they would be getting the tips for the purchase. We were told by several that the tips are kept by the cruise line and the Hatians get to keep only cash tips. Please tell me our sources are all wet??? :confused:
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd, along with most cruise corporations, is not transparent on how tips are handled. I have cruised a fair amount (maybe 80 cruises) and only have best guesses about the system.

I SUSPECT (note not claiming to know) that Labadee based waiters are “paid” by the cruiseline out of pooled Labadee tips, with no tracking of how much tip was written on any individual waiter’s receipts. I could also speculate that cash tips are supposed to go into the pool, but rarely do. If so, the SeaPass tips stay in Labadee, but the very generous SeaPass tip that you thought was going directly to your special waiter ended up distributed among everyone.

FWIW the World Bank lists 2013 Haiti Gross National Income per capita at US$2.22 per day. Given that there are a few rich people in Haiti, over half the population exists on less than US$1 per day. In the Haitian scheme of things, people who work within the Labadee compound are very lucky, and the least well off tourist in Labadee is extraordinarily well to do.

Thom

Haitian minimum wage is US$5.11 per day.

Which does not dispute your numbers, I'm sure both sources are accurate.

When people ask which countries we are visiting, I always list Labadee as "fake Haiti".

I had not seen the Haitian minimum wage, but your and my numbers track pretty well since the NY Times article you cite says that 2/3 of Haitians lack formal employment (and therefore are not covered by minimum wage). A worker in a garment factory could easily be supporting half a dozen people.

I have no doubts that RCCL is in Labadee primarily to make money, but in doing so they are also providing better opportunities than would otherwise exist. It is hard for many North Americans to understand that the people in Labadee are the lucky Haitians. By extrapolation, I am VERY lucky to have been born in a wealthy country to parents who encouraged me to get a good education, work hard and end up with the resources that allow me to travel.

Thom