Discounts, military rates, price drops?

Susiecruisey

Military rates are only on selected sailings and minimal discounts.

http://www.ncl.com/promo/military

I don't know if you should legitimately paint military discounts with the "minimal" brush.

For example, I am going to Hawaii on the Pride of America during Thanksgiving week this year. So, I have two things going against me: #1 - Hawaii (IOW..."expensive") and #2 Thanksgiving week (IOW..."expensive").

When I booked, the cruise had a military discount available. $699pp :D

Look at the rates for PoA....getting the price discounted to $699pp is hardly "minimal"...on ANY week, much less during Thankgiving.

As with any other discount/offer/promotion you need to research and shop, good values are out there...you just have to find them.

How does NCL handles these. If rate drops do you get the money difference off. How are they with sales and rates?

I originally booked our upcoming POA cruise with the AARP discount; Military & Latitudes discounts were not available at that time. Shortly after, I received an offer from a TA that is affiliated with the company I work for... same AARP discount, same price as my original booking, but with the addition of $300 OBC, so I switched the reservation over to the TA.

Even though I had a pretty good deal, I would still periodically check prices... same category, same date, same discounts applied. Since prices were beginning to go up, I was still very happy with what I already had.

Several months later during the "Wave" sale, I checked to see if there were any discounts to be had by plugging in the same category & date, and AARP/Military/Latitudes discounts applied. Lo and behold, If I acted right away, I could save $1000... and get another $100 OBC. I contacted my TA & sent "screenshots" of my faux booking. He got in touch with NCL right away. Although I lost a FREE bottle of wine & some chocolate covered strawberries, I still scored BIG by saving more than a grand.

One thing to keep in mind, if the price goes down & you change your booking to the new date, you will lose any earlier incentive you may have received, so before you make any changes, weigh the differences. Also, if your booking is with a TA, they must be the ones to make the change.

I don't know if you should legitimately paint military discounts with the "minimal" brush.

For example, I am going to Hawaii on the Pride of America during Thanksgiving week this year. So, I have two things going against me: #1 - Hawaii (IOW..."expensive") and #2 Thanksgiving week (IOW..."expensive").

When I booked, the cruise had a military discount available. $699pp :D

Look at the rates for PoA....getting the price discounted to $699pp is hardly "minimal"...on ANY week, much less during Thankgiving.

As with any other discount/offer/promotion you need to research and shop, good values are out there...you just have to find them.

No doubt the good values are out there. You got a nice deal. Problem is when I find them it's usually not for when I want with the military discount. :)

How does NCL handles these. If rate drops do you get the money difference off. How are they with sales and rates?

All good advice above. The one important note is that NOTHING will happen automatically. You and/or your travel agent must monitor things and look for changes that may impact your fares. If you find something, consider calling about it to see if you can come out for the better by making the change. But do consider that you MIGHT loose a perk/OBC that you have in place with the different fare.

All good advice above. The one important note is that NOTHING will happen automatically. You and/or your travel agent must monitor things and look for changes that may impact your fares. If you find something, consider calling about it to see if you can come out for the better by making the change. But do consider that you MIGHT loose a perk/OBC that you have in place with the different fare.

Can't agree more. I just saved $300 by finding out about the Kids sail free promo, called my TA and rebooked my cruise.

Thing is NCL wont tell you anything. You have too keep looking out for offers. I have subscribed to NCL, CC's pricedrop emails, and couple of other travelsites so I get to know what's happening.