Walt disney world or a NCL cruise

Susiecruisey

Which and why... please help. New to NCL.

Pretty vague question if you are looking for opinions on which one to pick Susie. Family size, ages, home location, flying, driving, time of year, etc, would be helpful so people can give you a better answer. :)

Don't get me wrong, we are huge disney fans and have done 4 DCL cruises in the past and have done 9 NCL cruises. Disney has great service but they are not cheap. I don't like the rotation dining on Disney and they don't have the selection of restaurants and freestyle cruising. We like the different choices of restaurants on NCL and eating when you like especially on port days where you don't have to rush back for early seating. The shows on Disney are top shelf but NCL shows aren't bad. Disney I believe still allows you to bring wine, beer, and liquor onboard where NCL doesn't. If you like to gamble NCL has it, Disney doesn't.

Disney and NCL have good children programs but NCL doesn't have the Disney characters that most kids are familiar with. NCL does have Sponge Bob on select cruises.. food quality in Palo on Disney is fantastic and NCl's Le Bistro is close.

Again Disney is much more expensive then NCL and I am not sure the experiences are hugely different to us.

Good luck

2 adults and a 15 yo DD. June of next year more than likely driving.

Depends on when in June. The beginning of June, you are only dealing with Florida and southern schools that got out at the end of May. Mid to the end of June, you are dealing with everyone. I would take the cruise if that is your time frame.

Don't get me wrong, we are huge disney fans and have done 4 DCL cruises in the past and have done 9 NCL cruises. Disney has great service but they are not cheap. I don't like the rotation dining on Disney and they don't have the selection of restaurants and freestyle cruising. We like the different choices of restaurants on NCL and eating when you like especially on port days where you don't have to rush back for early seating. The shows on Disney are top shelf but NCL shows aren't bad. Disney I believe still allows you to bring wine, beer, and liquor onboard where NCL doesn't. If you like to gamble NCL has it, Disney doesn't.

Disney and NCL have good children programs but NCL doesn't have the Disney characters that most kids are familiar with. NCL does have Sponge Bob on select cruises.. food quality in Palo on Disney is fantastic and NCl's Le Bistro is close.

Again Disney is much more expensive then NCL and I am not sure the experiences are hugely different to us.

Good luck

Ed, Susie asked about Walt Disney World, not DCL. I know, it was kind of a GOOFY question!!

:D

I agree with the post about going there in June. I was there in May a number of years ago and was miserable in the heat and humidity. Coming from Kentucky that may not be so much of an issue though. We were living in California at the time and used to a dry climate.

I would avoid WDW like the plague if my only option was the 2nd or 3rd week in June. It is HOT and HUMID and the crowds are unbearable. Do yourself a favor and take a cruise. The amount of money you spend will likely be the same and you'll be able to relax more on a cruise. Just my 2 cents.

It would be the 2 nd or 3 rd week in june

It is not that hot or humid in June (i live here); however, I would choose the cruise route simply to avoid the crowds. If the crowds and wait times do not bother you, then you will certainly enjoy WDW! Be advised though, WDW is going to cost you much, much more than a cruise will. Even being a Florida resident, I have easily spent more at Disney than I would have on a cruise.

We have only been to wdw once

I can give you a list of months (and dates) that you are better off going to WDW. Of course, you'd need to take the kid out of school. If that's not an issue, you are better off waiting. Even Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day Weekend will be less crowded than the summer months.

I agree if you have never been to DW definitely go while your DD is happy to be on vacation with Mom and Dad. Disney can be expensive but they do offer free dining plan specials that can make it more manageable.

If you have done DW I would choose the cruise. Your teen will have a blast on the cruise and if she is sociable will find her own age appropriate groups to hang with. You will have both quality time with your teen and plenty of time on your own. It can be the best of both worlds.

That said everyone needs to do DW at least once! My Disney tip that makes it totally doable regardless of time of year. When Disney says go left you go right. Avoid going to the parks on the days they offer early or late openings. The other parks are far less crowded on those days. Buy flexible park passes. Open parks in the morning before the heat takes hold..naps and pool time in the afternoon and then head out to a different or same park in the early evening. Learn how to take advantage of fast passes! I could go on but you get the idea. There is nothing freestyle about a visit to DW!

If you can manage it between Thanksgiving and Christmas - GO! Everyone should do that at least once in their life. It's decorated beautifully, and they have special parades and events just about every night. It's my favorite time to go!

Also - I just want to clarify about June. I said it wasn't that hot or humid ... and it's not ... compared to August. If you're not used to Florida heat, then you will probably find it hot. I won't step outside in August if I don't have to ;)

We enjoy both Disney World and cruising. - regardless of whether it's NCL or another line. In fact, we tend to alternate those as our "go to" vacation choices. When we are on a cruise (especially Sea Days) I tend to miss Disney's many different attractions and things to do in the Orlando area. And, after I've been at Disney for a few days, it starts to get old and I find myself thinking it'd be nice to be exploring a different Caribbean port or being up on the top deck at sunset. Actually, our favorite vacation in the past few years was going on a 7 nt. Eastern Caribbean cruise our of Port Canaveral and following it up with 4 days at Disney World. It eliminated the "cruise is over blues" and by the time we'd been at Disney World a few days, we were ready to head home. If you can swing it financially, it's a great combination. But, you can't go wrong either way, in my opinion.

We have done Disney World combined with a cruise quite a few times (cruise lines: Carnival, RCCL, Disney). We have also done day trips to Disney World when sailing from NYC, Cape Liberty and Baltimore, on both Carnival and RCCL ships. Not easily done on NCL.

Me, my DH and our daughter are the travelers. Our daughter took her first cruise out of Port Canaveral at age 6. It was the Disney Wonder combined with the Grand Floridian Hotel. Expensive stuff. Worth it with kids the right age.

She is now 21 and was last with us in Disney World this past January. Overall we spent a bit more than $6000. Also expensive stuff, but we try to get to Disney at least once a year...... if only for a day or two.

The truth about the last January trip is that we would have done better and spent less money if we had stayed 3 days at Disney and then boarded a seven day cruise in a balcony stateroom. We also would have come home more relaxed, feeling a bit more pampered. Our hotel and our park admission totaled a bit more than $700/day (Art of Animation: finding Nemo). Dinners ran between $80 and $258.00 (w/o tips) (Citricos- not worth it:( Breakfast ran between $25 and $100.00. Lunch came in between $30 and $90.00. A bottle of water is around $3.50. It adds up big time.

I would encourage you to price out cruises from Port Canaveral that might be combined with a day or two at Disney. You will likely find

that the cruise is cheaper. You get the best of both worlds. The crazy parks we all love and the relaxing ships with full dinner service.

Cruising, even from NYC, is cheaper than Disney.

Whatever you decide, have a blast!

Edited by jerseyralph

We have done Disney World combined with a cruise quite a few times (cruise lines: Carnival, RCCL, Disney). We have also done day trips to Disney World when sailing from NYC, Cape Liberty and Baltimore, on both Carnival and RCCL ships. Not easily done on NCL.

Me, my DH and our daughter are the travelers. Our daughter took her first cruise out of Port Canaveral at age 6. It was the Disney Wonder combined with the Grand Floridian Hotel. Expensive stuff. Worth it with kids the right age.

She is now 21 and was last with us in Disney World this past January. Overall we spent a bit more than $6000. Also expensive stuff, but we try to get to Disney at least once a year...... if only for a day or two.

The truth about the last January trip is that we would have done better and spent less money if we had stayed 3 days at Disney and then boarded a seven day cruise in a balcony stateroom. We also would have come home more relaxed, feeling a bit more pampered. Our hotel and our park admission totaled a bit more than $700/day (Art of Animation: finding Nemo). Dinners ran between $80 and $258.00 (w/o tips) (Citricos- not worth it:( Breakfast ran between $25 and $100.00. Lunch came in between $30 and $90.00. A bottle of water is around $3.50. It adds up big time.

I would encourage you to price out cruises from Port Canaveral that might be combined with a day or two at Disney. You will likely find

that the cruise is cheaper. You get the best of both worlds. The crazy parks we all love and the relaxing ships with full dinner service.

Cruising, even from NYC, is cheaper than Disney.

Whatever you decide, have a blast!

Cruising in a suite is often cheaper than Disney ;)

Despite locals saying it's not that hot or humid if you are not used to the humidity it is miserable. I went to WDW once in June and again in September. June I vowed never again. Crowded and miserable hot.

Do the cruise in June. If you can visit WDW in the Christmas season I highly recommend it. It reAlly is magical then.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Edited by bearette

To the OP ,I faced this decision earlier this year for next summer! We ended up deciding on an NCL cruise to Alaska and spending a day in Seattle before we sail . My sister is 11, I'm 23 and my parents are joining us .

Edited by cruiserninja1