Freedom vs oasis vs getaway

hello, my family of 4 (2 adults, 2 15 year olds) are currently debating between

-Freedom eastern 6/14/14 (port canaveral-cocoay-st thomas-st martin) we live 15 minutes away from port canaveral

-Oasis eastern 6/13/14 (ft lauderdale-nassau-st thomas-st martin), wed get nassau instead of cococay and also wed have to drive about 3 hours, is it worth it for a once in a lifetime dream cruise, or just go out of our backyard at cape canaveral?

-NCL getaway eastern 6/13/14 (miami-nassau-st thomas-tortola) seems good

WHich would be the best? is the oasis worth a 3 hour drive? also, this is our first cruise

It depends on what you are looking for. I have done the Freedom eastern and she is my favorite ship and CoCo Cay is my favorite port. Great snorkeling from the beach. Oasis is a destination by itself. Yes, Oasis is worth a 3 hour drive but you cannot make a bad choice between the two ships. For me it would all depend on the price, whichever had the best value for me would be the one I would pick.

Edited by dacsmom

I don't think you can lose here. I would vote for the Oasis first then Freedom and then Getaway (although I have never been on the Getaway or Breakaway).

However if the Oasis and Freedom are 7-days and the Getaway is 8-days (or more) then I would choose the Getaway.

If they are all 7-days I would take the one with the best price.

Edited by Yorkvillain

-Freedom eastern 6/14/14 (port canaveral-cocoay-st thomas-st martin) we live 15 minutes away from port canaveral

-Oasis eastern 6/13/14 (ft lauderdale-nassau-st thomas-st martin), wed get nassau instead of cococay and also wed have to drive about 3 hours, is it worth it for a once in a lifetime dream cruise, or just go out of our backyard at cape canaveral?

WHich would be the best? is the oasis worth a 3 hour drive? also, this is our first cruise

I am not biased to any line but Getaway would be my last choice. Only Tortola is unique on that itinerary. Now, for the other two I am not sure. If you are cruising for the ports and convenience I would choose Freedom. If you are cruising for the ship I would choose Oasis. I usually cruise for the ship, so I would go with Oasis. Keep in mind that no other Royal ship will ever be as mind blowing as Oasis ;) If I were you I would do Oasis, then do a cheap 3 night cruise on Enchantment from Port Canaveral so you can visit Coco Cay :)

It depends on what you are looking for. I have done the Freedom eastern and she is my favorite ship and CoCo Cay is my favorite port. Great snorkeling from the beach. Oasis is a destination by itself. Yes, Oasis is worth a 3 hour drive but you cannot make a bad choice between the two ships. For me it would all depend on the price, whichever had the best value for me would be the one I would pick.

Since Port Canaveral is close, maybe a cheap Enchantment cruise to Nassau and Coco Cay is possible ;)

Since you have a specific date in mind, which I assume is really 6/13/2015, have you priced them out for the catagory you would like? If money doesn't matter, Oasis.

Edited by CP3o

I'd pick Freedom for the convenience. We've been on Liberty (sister ship) and it's a great size, has tons to do.

Oasis would be my second pick but only because I don't think I'd want to start out at the "top" of the cruise industry, size-wise, for my very first cruise.

Getaway would be my last choice as I have researched the heck out of NCL and the food reviews are generally poor. Freestyle dining also doesn't really appeal to us.

I thought the food was great on NCL. I adore going to the private islands as well. Fun beach days. I always base my cruises off price and itinerary. That being said, if I had never been to any of those islands I'd do Oasis. Go big or go home:) especially if it's once in a lifetime. Three hours is not that far. I have to travel across the country when I cruise. Three hours to the Oasis is worth it, if you've never been to Nassau. But because I have been to all those islands, for myself I'd choose Freedom:) based off itinerary alone.

Edited by Siora7777

Since you have a specific date in mind, which I assume is really 6/13/2015, have you priced them out for the catagory you would like? If money doesn't matter, Oasis.

Prices for an OV cabin, assuming you want to sleep 2 person per cabin that weekend, before taxes, port fees and gratuities.

Oasis - $2,249 per person

Freedom - $1,499

NCL Getaway - $1,199 (balcony $1,289)

With the extra drive and these prices, I'd throw out Oasis. If you need connecting cabins, I'd consider booking Freedom and watching for price drops. If not, since you don't need airfare, I'd monitor the prices of all three and try to score a much better deal closer to sailing.

You can usually still get cabins near each other and put one adult and ond kid officially in a cabin and then pick up extra keys when get onboard.

We have sailed all three and love them all for different reasons.

Oasis will but he best but she will cost the most. This is royal board so everyone will talk Oasis and Allure up. They are amazing ships.

Getaway is a great ship, so much to do my kids loved the slides and ropes course. She will most likely be your least expensive option. But you will have more additional costs. We did the unlimited dinning plan 119 per person to eat in all the specialty's because we have found NCL's MDR to not be to our tastes.

With the UDP you can get the Illuinarium free the first night. Totally worth it IMO. Its a dinner and magic show. Want cool pics? wear some green, they take you pic in front of a green screen. My DD dress ended up matching the background very cool.

Freedom is the only ship we have sailed twice we loved her so much. Not as much to do as Oasis but the flowrider is always a huge hit with my kids. We also love Cocoa Cay its a easy beach day.

You will not be disappointed in any of those ships. Being that you live right by Freedom I would do one of the others and save that one for your next cruise because once you sail you will want to go again.

About the food issue. IMO Rccl has a better Main dinning room (MDR). NCL has better and more specialty restaurants. So we dine in them for dinner pretty much exclusively. There are so many options on Getaway both included and extra charge. Flamingos has some great breakfast items that you can only get there (included). The gelato shop was some of the best gelato we have had but it costs extra worth it IMO. Carlos bake shop costs extra but its a nice treat.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask them. My kids did not go the teen club on Getaway they were too busy with the ropes course and slides.

Edited by Jenjer
adding

Especially looking at the prices above I would go with Freedom. It is really a great ship and there will be plenty for all to do. Give it a try and save Oasis for after you fall in love with cruising :D.

We did Freedom when my son was 14 and he loved it, of course not as much as Allure, but for a first time, there is more than enough.