Scooters

GFY

Going to Bermuda in October on Zenith. Will rent scooters want to know how good Wheels & Cycles is. Last time we were in Bermuda rented from Oleander and like them but they will be almost $100 more for 3 days. Oleander also moved the scooters when we changed ports does Wheels & Cycles do that. Also are there any other scooter rental places that are good. Any information will be appreciated.

Hi...we rented from Wheels last June and they had good rates...3 day rental for a single scooter was about 110.00, and for a double it was 150.00 The fellow that delivered them was really funny and helpful. They have a web-site which is www.wheelscycles.com. Be really careful, I had a fall and had to get 6 stitches in my toe. That wasn't the bad part though, not being able to swim or snorkel the rest of the trip was!! But Wheels was really helpful, they refunded money,etc. Good luck!!

Oleander worked very well for us. Their Kings Wharf (Dockyards) location was a very short walk from the ship. Only $127 for the Deluxe model for two days. We didn't even have to decide on the two day option until the second day, then all they did was charge my credit card for the additional discounted 2nd day fee.

The Deluxe model was very comfy for me and my passenger.

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION.

Scooters are easy to ride -- and they are also very dangerous if you're not careful. You're comfort level grows as you spend more hours on the scooter. Starting and stopping are pobably the most difficult parts of riding a scooter. Turning at slow speeds is another difficult task.

Scooters are not for everyone. If you don't regularily ride a bike of any kind than you should stay off. If you're significant other is a jerk and you're the passenger than you should not ride with that person (we saw this and we blatently asked the lady -- Are you actually going to ride with him?)

They will give you a brief lesson on how the scooter works and then they will have you ride around the block 2 or 3 times and then after that you're smack in the middle of narrow rodes, traffic, driving on the left side of the road, and driving in unfamiliar surroundings. All combined are a perfect mix of danger.

A lot depends of your level of comfort as well as your experience. If you've never done this before then you will have difficulty at first. Oh, don't worry, you will get by but you will have a few close calls which can be very eye opening.

Getting adjusted to the scooter is the biggest part. Practice, practice, practice starting, stopping, turning, letting go of the gas when you need to slow down, etc.

Just go slow and don't hot dog. let people pass you if you need to. Don't forget to use your indicators when you turn left or right. Get comfy with the controls. Just go slow and take your time.

If you're at Kings Wharf and you need to practice then take the time and go around the area for at least one hour just to practice. It could save you. Don't just rush off and hit the roads (99% do just that).

I almost nailed a tree just because I couldn't start up properly. I felt rushed to get into the road and let the bike get out of control. I should have just taken my time, and started up more gradually with my feet up rather than down on the road (that's the hardest thing to overcome). Once I figured this part out I was much better off. That's why I suggest to practice first.

Good luck.

Hi GFY...We actually flew into Bermuda and rented from a local. But I found Wheels to be most helpful and if you ask, possibly they will transport your scooter. I can't stress how important the comments are from the person who posted with all the advice. One thing I would add is this...while operating a scooter, keep your head and eyes focused on where you want the scooter to take you. I went up and over a curb at a bus stop, and later learned it was mainly because I "looked" there. I guess something with the brain (?) Don't look down, just keep your eyes where you want the bike to go. Who knew? (Okay, maybe a lot of you, but I didn't.) Anyway, good luck with it. Personally, when we ever get to do it all over again, I'll splurge for a taxi. Very roomy, plus you don't have to keep your eyes on the road, you can focus them on all of your beautiful surrounding views and foliage!!

Archived