Excursions in Sept.

AGG3

We will be heading to Alaska in mid Sept on Celebrity Solstice. I was looking for opinions for booking excursions. I am concerned about booking excursions in advance because of the possibility of poor weather. I believe I have three options: 1. Book excursions in advance with the ship so I can cancel near the excursion date if the weather is poor. 2. Books excursions with the ship once we board, therefore better able to judge the weather conditions. 3. Book private excursions prior to departure so that we are with smaller groups, but have less flexibility with poor weather cancellations. We don't mind touring in some rain and cool weather, but we don't necessarily want to do that each day, which is a possibility in Alaska in Sept. So, any thoughts on what to do? Thank you.

We will be heading to Alaska in mid Sept on Celebrity Solstice. I was looking for opinions for booking excursions. I am concerned about booking excursions in advance because of the possibility of poor weather. I believe I have three options: 1. Book excursions in advance with the ship so I can cancel near the excursion date if the weather is poor. 2. Books excursions with the ship once we board, therefore better able to judge the weather conditions. 3. Book private excursions prior to departure so that we are with smaller groups, but have less flexibility with poor weather cancellations. We don't mind touring in some rain and cool weather, but we don't necessarily want to do that each day, which is a possibility in Alaska in Sept. So, any thoughts on what to do? Thank you.

I would stick with ship excursions. I wouldn't book any flight excursions in Sept because of possible very unsettled weather . Sometimes Alaska could be perfect weather for all excursions.

This thinking is a little skewed. There is no way to predict any weather in Alaska. What you have in Juneau, could be completely different in Skagway the next day. With ship excursions- their cancellation policy is going to be at least 24 hours in advance. With your ideas of wanting better weather for your tours, you have chosen the wrong timeframe. Add to the mix, I hear this all the time with the White Pass, people thinking that looking up the valley is going to tell them the weather, sorry no. The case with some other tours as well that take place in other locations.

You may want to book, in advance tours that go in all kinds of weather that you want to do, and wait out others.

Budget Queen has good recommendations regarding September excursions.

I also am cruising Alaska this September. I like September because Alaska is a less touristy late in the season and I don't mind the rain. I take a good rain jacket with a hood and just get out and enjoy southeast Alaska. This year we are doing more walking tours and fewer formal excursions. There's a good book available through Amazon: Inside Passage Walking Tours by Julianne Chase Patton. The book has many good options for exploring the ports on foot and using local transportation. It's size is small and easy to carry.

If you are contemplating a flightseeing excursion, consider a midday or early afternoon flight for less chance of fog and heavy mist; however, there are no weather guarantees. If you choose a trek into the forest, the big trees tend to shelter a bit from the rain. I wouldn't stay away from the excursions - just choose carefully. You will still be able to see the animals, glaciers and amazing scenery.