Alaska and Carnival-is it still a party boat?

marshhawk

We really do want to go to Alaska, and we do know Carnival, and like the prices, but what we don't like is (feeling like a dr suess story) NOISE NOISE NOISE-this is the last American Wilderness, does Carnival respect that when they cruise Alaska? or Is the lido the last place I want to be? do they offer classes and information about what we are seeing, or are we going to be moving to the right, to the right, to the right...

We really do want to go to Alaska, and we do know Carnival, and like the prices...

We did Alaska last year, but we chose Holland America partly because of pricing. Yes, Carnival cost more in Alaska than cruise lines that are traditionally more expensive in the Caribbean. The reason being because Carnival has only one ship to fill while the others have 3-7 ships in Alaska. So less inventory=higher prices.

Marshhawk, I know that you enjoy Carnival, but Alaska is one destination where you may want to see what the other cruise lines have to offer. Carnival is very limited in Alaska. We chose Holland America because it was a weekend departure (making it easier to take vacation. Carnival sails midweek). Also, we wanted to see Glacier Bay, which many consider a must. Feel free to click on my review. Link in my signature. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

We really do want to go to Alaska, and we do know Carnival, and like the prices, but what we don't like is (feeling like a dr suess story) NOISE NOISE NOISE-this is the last American Wilderness, does Carnival respect that when they cruise Alaska? or Is the lido the last place I want to be? do they offer classes and information about what we are seeing, or are we going to be moving to the right, to the right, to the right...

We just did our 2nd Alaskan Cruise with Carnival in May of this year. Granted we went when school was still in session for both of our cruises there. Very few children (less than 100 on both cruises). We are in our middle to late 30s and would say we were still among the 'young' on the ship. Most folks are 50 and up (IMHO), which leads to a much quieter cruise. Lido still played music, but not the same as the warmer weather cruises. They are very limited to the 'noise' they are allowed to make in Alaska.

The naturalist on Carnival cruises (Michelle) is amazing. We loved to listen to her and you can tell she LOVES what she does!

Whatever you choose, you will never regret seeing Alaska!

JUst did the Miracle last month and compared to other Carnival cruises, it was a lot more quiet. Not a whole lot of partying going on around the ship. Completely different environment. Went into the dance club one night around 10:30 and maybe 5 people total in there. There are no outside deck parties because of noise regulations. We still had a wonderful cruise though.

Our Alaskan cruise last year was very laid back, mostly older people and very quiet. It was relaxing and beautiful and I would never hesitate to recommend it or go back again. We went to the night club one night to drink and dance and there were only at most 10 people including my husband and I. It's nothing compared to a Caribbean cruise. But it was perfect for Alaska.

Took the family to Alaska 2 summers ago on Carnival. My kids were 10 & 13 at the time. Went in early June. Had a great time! Not a party boat at all. Very relaxing time. We would do it again in a heartbeat.

When I went to Alaska on Carnival a few years back, the sailing was very quiet. Never anyone in the nightclub, hardly anyone at late dinner. After 9pm on the public decks, you'd have sworn we left Vancouver empty :P

That was in the month of May, in the summer (when school is out) there may be more families. However, I wouldn't expect it to be a party boat up there, not excessively at least.

Ship was mellow....mellow...mellow! Loved it. They said it was at capacity, but it always felt like it was only half-full.

Even the Karaoke crowd, which is usually upbeat and excitable, was subdued...overall applause was more of a polite golf-clap variety...LOL!

I second the compliment on the Naturalist, Michelle...she is great at what she does...and she has a very soothing voice...thank goodness, because we heard a LOT of her. :)