Help! My husband wants to cancel!!!

Timmys_mom

I Can Remember A Time When Buying A Pk Of Hotdogs Was Splurging. Sad But True. I Know What Needing To Be Tight Is All About, Everybody Has Been There Or Is Now. Post Your Address And I'll Be The First To Send A Small Donation For An Enjoyable Cruise For You And Huby. Hopefully A Few Other Will Follow.:)

Budlight

I have first hand experience with this one. I had just returned from a cruise to Tahiti late one Sunday night this past May. I was supposed to go back to work the next day, Monday. Come to find out Monday morning, I was laid off. Just like that.

I had just spent quite a bit of money on vacation and had another cruise booked for this September, with my parents. Final payment was due in July and I debated cancelling it, but decided not to. My main reasoning was that I'd hopefully have a job by sailing date, and I didn't want to give up the memories that would be made on the cruise. My two favorite sayings are "Memories are souvenirs of life" and "Learn as much as you can, no one can repossess what is in your mind".

It is now early August, and I still don't have a job, in fact, haven't even heard any responses to resumes/applications, but with those two thoughts, I am going to go and enjoy my cruise and life's new souvenirs. Whatever happens in the future, I'll always have those souvenirs with me and no one can take them away.

Christine

Just a reminder to check your cancel by dates (though I hope you don't have to cancel)

I learned the hard way. I broke my leg and thought I had until the 75 th day to cancel which is the day final payment is due. Not so, it is the 76th day to cancel with no penalty and the 75th for final payment.

I even checked the agreement myself I was so sure both were 75 but no. Now I sit here hoping I can walk by then because I was not about to loose that much money. And this trip was a reschedule from another cruise we had booked and had to change because my husband had lost his job due to cutbacks! When it rains it pours!!!

Budlight - your generosity is amazing. We are not the first and certainly not the last people to experience a lay-off. It is all too common these days. I would never in a million years accept money so that I could indulge myself with a vacation. I feel very humbled and embarassed that I could be so selfish. We certainly won't lose our house or wind up eating mac and cheese, but going on vacation right now seems fiscally irresponsible.

Here's the plan. DH and I will have a lengthy discussion about the pro/cons, red/black ink, etc. I'll report back on Monday.

Shelly, I agree that it's a very difficult situation to be in and what works for one family doesn't always work for another, so I won't say "go" or "don't go".

I'm sure you've considered every possible option, but that cruise is discounted 50-60% now on a popular on-line booking agency. Could you save any money by cancelling now and rebooking the same cruise at a lower cost?

It sounds like you may lose more in penalties than the amount of money you will be spending on the cruise. Financially speaking, it doesn't make too much sense to cancel. If all this convincing doesn't work on your husband, try crying...that always seems to get them!!!LOL

I'm sure you've considered every possible option, but that cruise is discounted 50-60% now on a popular on-line booking agency. Could you save any money by cancelling now and rebooking the same cruise at a lower cost?

Unfortunately (or fortunately), we received such a great interline discount because he works for NWA that I would have to book a grade 4 inside cabin and I would still only be saving $50. We are currently 8D.

I feel for you. Last fall my husband and I booked a cruise for January. Shortly after we booked my husband got laid off. I was the one who was worried about money and he was the one who wanted to go. We did end up going and had a great time. It is a difficult desision but you need to do what is best for you and your husband. Hope things work out for you.

Slightly off topic, but years back, we finally convinced my dad to cruise with us (The Big Red Boat). He loved it, told us we should have been doing it for years.... about a year later he was diagnosed with lung cancer. He died 3 months later. Life is too short. He was only 62. My DH was just laid off from work (he worked for JP Morgan Chase) after working there for almost 8 years. We have a cruise planned for this Oct. We are going to go and enjoy our selves.

My question is did you buy your air-line tickets from Northwest...I did and I'm afraid that they are going to strike and I will be left to scramble for tickets at the last moment.....Dennis in Memphis

Here's what I would do. Cancel and put the excess cruise $$ in a savings account. If you need it, it's there. If not, reschedule your cruise when your both back on your feet again! You may lose a deposit, but better safe than hungry...The cruise will be waiting for you just as soon as this labor thing pans out.

Sincerely,

Guy Probably Too Frugal For My Wife's Taste

I actually sat down and read the fine print at the back of the glossy brochure. We will lose our $500 deposit if we cancel. Since this is not a choice between eating or cruising, we shall cruise. :D

I spoke with my DS-I-L and they both agreed to help avoid "Sign-n-Sail shock".

I intend to show this thread to my DH to let him know that other people have been in our situation and survived. I personally think he is struggling more with the loss of a career, rather than how we are going to pay for our next meal. Furthermore, just 'cause Bob in the brake shop said you have to spend at least $1,000 on board, doesn't make it true.

scperk: the CEO of Northwest swears that a mechanic's strike will not have any affect on the flight schedules. ;) I don't believe it, and just to be safe, neither should you. Develop a contingency plan.

Having worked in the telecommunications field for years, I know a little about layoffs and the fear of layoffs. My suggestion is to bank the money and wait. If your husband is worrying the entire time he is on the cruise he won't enjoy himself and could possibly make it hard for the rest of you to enjoy yourselves as well.

Being layed off or or the fear of losing your job can be a very stressful time, it just might be better for all concerned to lay low and wait for another sunny sailing day.

All that said, it's a very personal decision, good luck.

Yes, the final payment is due Friday and I won't see him until Saturday. We will lose some of our money if we cancel after Friday, but it will still be less than what the cruise costs.

Timmys Mom

what you are going to loose ( $ ) on cancelling this cruise after the final payment date is what you can have for spending money on this cruise...

Hope the cruise goes well.......

WE are based in MEMPHIS.... GET MY DRIFT?

WE went on a cruise in July and loved it.... want to book next year,but waiting to see if we can afford it and still keep flying!!!

Thinking of you.... Hope all goes well....

DC9/CAPT... sept/A320/CA

Dear Timmy's Mom,

I was recently on strike myself and feel that a cruise would have really been the trick! It's not an easy situation and it is very hard not bringing any income in. I was smart and refinanced my house before hand to have the extra $$$ for as long as we needed it. We were out longer than expected, but one of the first things I did when I went back to work was book a cruise! Enjoy the time you will be spending with your DH during that time! For all you know, it may be a short strike, or none at all!

Stay strong (and CRUISE)!

It is possible to take a cruise and not spend another dime other than the automated tips added to your bill. Just forgo all those "extras" that cost.

You won't starve and you will still be entertained like you have never been before. The only way to find out if you are cruiser or not is to take that first one. Who knows your husband might land a new job on Carnvial Cruises!

scperk: the CEO of Northwest swears that a mechanic's strike will not have any affect on the flight schedules. ;) I don't believe it, and just to be safe, neither should you. Develop a contingency plan.

And I have a bridge to sell you :) if someone believes it won't affect flights. One word of suggestion if they do go on strike make sure you have the flight schedules for AA, Continental, Delta, United and all the possible routes to get to your destination. If necessary (and if there is space) you can be put on a different airline (be nice but persistant :p ).

Have fun on your cruise I wish you the best

Hello,

This could go either way and whats the old saying?????? Is the glass half full or half empty?

On one hand if your husbands mental health is at stake.........don't go

If the money spent for the cruise and on the cruise will put you in a bind.........don't go

I am not really for the life is short and go do it philosophy.....or the 10 year anniversary thing either........life really isn't short......60 - 70 - 80 years...now if you found out about a terminal illness and you'll die in 6 months then, i would go for it...if i find that out..i racking up all my credit card and going to Bora Bora.....you will have other anniversaires.......make another more special and more worth it......bite the bullet...it will make you stronger...remember back when honey...when we had to cancel...well things worked out and we can go now...come on have a positive attitude......

Last but not least........and i may be off base or it may be a hard pill to swallow......who is the main bread winner in the family? If you all lost his job could you live on your salary? or vice versa.....if so don't worry about it....

Or...take money out of savings or retirement....afer all life is short right???/

Whats a few hundred or thousand dollars??

Good luck...either way......i say no go.....that's my final answer....

Man that s*cks. :(

I say that doing a cruise on a budget is still better than staying home and being miserable. You definitely don't have to spend a fortune on a cruise. You can still have a great time....but on the other hand if I were in your position, I'd be on here doing the same begging for help because I can guarantee that my DH would want to cancel as well. I think I know what you're up against...all I can say is good luck and I hope he has a change of heart.

My husband was in a similar situation. The company he has worked for-- for 38 yrs. was rumored to close. This(rumor) was going on for more than a year. My husband was real nervous about spending the money on a cruise if he was about to lose his job. My feeling was that we were NOT going to live our lives in fear of "what if". So I talked him into going on a cruise this Feb. We started saving our money and putting it in a separate "cruise account". Since we always book a year ahead I figured we had a year to save the money. We did and are now all paid up. We got a group together (10) couples and are really looking forward to going on the new Liberty this Feb. He did lose his job as did about 500 other people that worked for the same company. And guess what? We are doing fine. He is luckier(sp) than most because in less than 8 months he will be old enough to retire. Most were not so lucky. He is SO looking forward to this cruise and it will be a great stress release to be going and with good friends to boot. So only you know if it will work for you. But I hope you can go and just have the best cruise ever !!!!!!!!!! Good luck ;) Linda

My husband was in a similar situation. The company he has worked for-- for 38 yrs. was rumored to close. This(rumor) was going on for more than a year. My husband was real nervous about spending the money on a cruise if he was about to lose his job. My feeling was that we were NOT going to live our lives in fear of "what if". So I talked him into going on a cruise this Feb. We started saving our money and putting it in a separate "cruise account". Since we always book a year ahead I figured we had a year to save the money. We did and are now all paid up. We got a group together (10) couples and are really looking forward to going on the new Liberty this Feb. He did lose his job as did about 500 other people that worked for the same company. And guess what? We are doing fine. He is luckier(sp) than most because in less than 8 months he will be old enough to retire. Most were not so lucky. He is SO looking forward to this cruise and it will be a great stress release to be going and with good friends to boot. So only you know if it will work for you. But I hope you can go and just have the best cruise ever !!!!!!!!!! Good luck ;) Linda

Linda: I too am from upstate NY and know how uncertain the job market is here for the last couple of years. Huge layoffs and company closings and not many jobs for all the people looking. Glad your husband made out okay and enjoy your cruise. I'm sure your husband will appreciate the "decompression" time and the transition to being retired.

Archived