Should I bother buying Butchart tickets in advance for Fireworks Night?

Hi everyone.

I haven't been to Vancouver in 19 years, and my last time at Butchart was 1982.

We will be in Vancouver this upcoming Friday-Monday, prior to a cruise.

On Saturday morning (August 2), we will be on the 12pm ferry with our car, crossing to Victoria. I will get there at 11am to be safe, and I already have a reservation.

We will be staying overnight in Victoria (downtown).

It is important for us to see the fireworks show that evening, which begins at 9:30pm.

So here are my questions to those "in the know":

1) What time is it best for us to drive into Butchart? That is, we don't want to get there too early (and be bored waiting until 9:30), especially given that we have a 3-year-old with us (who LOVES fireworks, btw). But we also want enough time to see Butchart prior to the fireworks, and we want to avoid any horrendous traffic jams coming in.

2) If horrendous traffic jams coming in are inevitable, is there a place we can park nearby and walk in? Or is that too far/difficult with a 3-year-old? If the lot is full, can we just park somewhere nearby and take a taxi in?

3) Is it useful to buy tickets in advance? Or is it pretty much guaranteed I will get a ticket if I want one? Will it speed up the process at all to already have a ticket?

4) Is the VIP Fireworks package really worth it? I can't imagine why you would need that, since fireworks are in the sky, but if it's something a lot better I might spring for it if possible.

This will be a busy weekend, as I know it's a holiday weekend in BC, so please keep that in mind.

We don't mind eating dinner in the park, if that will make things easier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please do not suggest I take the bus instead, as I am not interested in doing that.

Thanks.

1) We used to get there between 4:30 and 5:00 - lots of parking still available. Pack a picnic dinner, take a blanket to sit on or lawn chairs if able. Set your blanket out at the fireworks site and then wander the Gardens to your hearts content (don't worry no one will bother your belongings). Come back, sit down and have your picnic; then your toddler can do some more running around the Gardens before the fireworks begin (or maybe even get a nap in). They also have a lovely old fashioned merry-go-round that I'm sure your child would love having a ride on.

2) With a toddler much easier to get there early enough to get onsite parking. Be prepared for a traffic jam leaving - both a people jam getting to the parking lot and then a vehicle jam getting out of the lot.

3) I'm not even sure they pre-sell tickets for fireworks nights. However I don't think it would help at all as you still have to go through the same entrance that everyone else does. You go through the entrance before parking the car.

4) Not all of the fireworks are in the sky; they have a lot of them low down on the lagoon. If the VIP package guarantees you entrance and have seating - it might be worth it to you.

Edited by cruiseryyc

Thanks for the info. We will have just gotten into Vancouver the night before, so we won't have time to get any picnic lunch ready. But we'll just eat at the restaurant on premises (there is one, right?)

I will get there around 5, per your suggestion.

We will definitely do the merry go round for my 3-year-old. He's never been on one before, and will likely enjoy it.