AT&T service - valor cruise

4x4TX

Just curious how many of the islands US service covers? It looks like St Thomas and PR are covered under stateside service. My company has international service so not terribly worried but still don't want to ring up a huge bill. I will mostly be checking email and using data, imessages, facetime and maybe a call or two.

Just curious how many of the islands US service covers? It looks like St Thomas and PR are covered under stateside service. My company has international service so not terribly worried but still don't want to ring up a huge bill. I will mostly be checking email and using data, imessages, facetime and maybe a call or two.

You need to review this with your phone provider. Not all plans, and companies have the same rates. You can get 10 different answers here.

AT&T has 120 MB global data plans for $30, 300 MB for $60 and 800 MG for $120. Please note that these do not work for Cellular at Sea (on the boat) as they do not have a contract with Carnival. I had a co-worker ring up $485.00 in data on a five day cruise the month before last.

Edited by figdu

download free app called VIBER .... If you can get free wifi like at restaurants, bars etc then you can use this app to call or text without using any AT&T International minutes/charges.....I used it for 2 weeks daily while my daughter was in Portugal

download free app called VIBER .... If you can get free wifi like at restaurants, bars etc then you can use this app to call or text without using any AT&T International minutes/charges.....I used it for 2 weeks daily while my daughter was in Portugal

I have used that too, but it's no different than what they already plan on doing - iMessage, check email, Facetime, etc. So if they can get wi-fi for Viber, they can get it for all those other things too. I find Skype is a little better quality than Viber for conversations.

AT&T has 120 MB global data plans for $30, 300 MB for $60 and 800 MG for $120. Please note that these do not work for Cellular at Sea (on the boat) as they do not have a contract with Carnival. I had a co-worker ring up $485.00 in data on a five day cruise the month before last.

Poster implied she has a International plan, so it's best to check with the phone provider to see what is covered.

Poster implied she has a International plan, so it's best to check with the phone provider to see what is covered.

I manage the AT&T account for an international company. What the poster implied is that international calling is enabled on the account. I doubt they would be leaving international data plans that charge a recurring rate on the line if the user is not traveling every month.

Yes I had to turn in a request requesting international roaming for the week I'm gone so I'm assuming they purchase a plan or have some sort of deal with AT&T for employees as I work for a international oil company.

Yes I had to turn in a request requesting international roaming for the week I'm gone so I'm assuming they purchase a plan or have some sort of deal with AT&T for employees as I work for a international oil company.

Turning on international roaming for the week will take care of the voice. Unless they also added a plan for text and data which are all separate you will be billed the per text/kb rate which is very expensive.

I would check with whoever handles your account to see exactly what they have done for you.

Edited by figdu

San Juan and St. Thomas work just like you are on the main land.

The other ports are when you go "international".

This. For a minute there I thought no one was going to answer the actual question posted. But this is correct. We just got off Valor. We had full bars in PR and St. Thomas, with AT&T at top of the screen. No issues at all. These were the only 2 islands to have this without roaming.