Disappointed

SportsMomof4

This will my 1st time in SJ. I have to be honest....I am really disappointed with the excursions or options in SJ. We are a group of 13 (4 adults, 8 active teenagers & 8 year old) & we don't want to go to the forts or ziplining. What else is there to do?! There doesn't seem like much.

Are there any reputable tour companies?

Are there any water activities (banana boats, paddleboards etc...)offered at Condado beach?

Wondering if it's worth it to do a resort pass.

Any ideas would be great!

This will my 1st time in SJ. I have to be honest....I am really disappointed with the excursions or options in SJ. We are a group of 13 (4 adults, 8 active teenagers & 8 year old) & we don't want to go to the forts or ziplining. What else is there to do?! There doesn't seem like much.

Are there any reputable tour companies?

Are there any water activities (banana boats, paddleboards etc...)offered at Condado beach?

Wondering if it's worth it to do a resort pass.

Any ideas would be great!

San Juan is nothing to be disappointed about. We love it so much we've done multiple land vacations there. Not a huge number of tours offered as most people are happy to 'go it alone'.

The forts are fabulous and worth visiting even if you are not a history buff and even if only for a short visit. The views and construction make it worthwhile as does the walk up the blue cobblestone streets. Plus, the forts are inexpensive to visit so you don't have to feel bad if your visit is short.

I would do this first then grab a van taxi to the beach. At the corner of Ashford and Condado streets there is a Wallgreen's where you can grab drinks and beach snacks. Walk another half block to the beach and there is a vendor renting chairs.

Condado beach is often rough so no paddleboards or kayaks. Sometimes we've seen jet skis and surfing but not sure if there are facilities to rent these. We've seen lots of happy teens playing in the waves.

There are no official public bathrooms in this area but you can zip up to Burger King and get a snack and a bathroom;) or have a beer at the Atlantic Hotel beach bar and you can use the facilities while there.

You can walk along Ashford and visit the shoppes before heading back to the ship.

If forts and beach are not of interest I'd recommend a visit to the rainforest, it is beautiful and you can swim in the pools at the bottom of the falls.

There is a company offering paddleboards in the Condado lagoon. You have to google for the name, because I can't remember what it is. I'm surprised the ship isn't offering a paddleboard excursion.

There's now a boat offering harbor tours that leaves from a pier near the cruise docks. I hope to see it next month when I go to PR. It wasn't there was I the last time I visited OSJ.

Escambron Beach has a water sports area. Here's the link for more info.

http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/visitors_info/underwater-adventure-in-the-heart-of-san-juan-815.html

Puerto Rico is a big island, there is lots to do there. Some may be a little far away but as a port stop on a cruise it offers different options than some other ports of call. The best part of Old San Juan is as others have said, the historic (pre-Columbus mid 1400's) buildings and walls etc. If you don't have any interest in that, there are decent beaches within a cab ride. Condado Lagoon is pretty tame because of water breaks but a good place for paddle boards. Most beaches in Puerto Rico (at least close to San Juan) are more open ocean and pretty big wave type beaches (fun but not for water toys etc.) The El Yunque tour is a great option with hiking and natural beauty. I have heard of people taking helicopter flight tours of the island, and even deep sea fishing. Try looking at Puerto Rico day trips dot com, they are a tourism site that will offer some ideas. Each port has their own personality and things that make it wonderful. History and old world mystique and charm is San Juan's. Kind of like someone saying they only want a beach day in New York City... they are not interested in buildings or Broadway or museums etc. You will see that San Juan is a great place, just give it a chance. It is one of the best places in the world. IMHO

Puerto Rico is a big island, there is lots to do there. Some may be a little far away but as a port stop on a cruise it offers different options than some other ports of call. The best part of Old San Juan is as others have said, the historic (pre-Columbus mid 1400's) buildings and walls etc. If you don't have any interest in that, there are decent beaches within a cab ride. Condado Lagoon is pretty tame because of water breaks but a good place for paddle boards. Most beaches in Puerto Rico (at least close to San Juan) are more open ocean and pretty big wave type beaches (fun but not for water toys etc.) The El Yunque tour is a great option with hiking and natural beauty. I have heard of people taking helicopter flight tours of the island, and even deep sea fishing. Try looking at Puerto Rico day trips dot com, they are a tourism site that will offer some ideas. Each port has their own personality and things that make it wonderful. History and old world mystique and charm is San Juan's. Kind of like someone saying they only want a beach day in New York City... they are not interested in buildings or Broadway or museums etc. You will see that San Juan is a great place, just give it a chance. It is one of the best places in the world. IMHO

Great comments. But, Columbus sailed in 1492 and San Juan was founded in 1508. I don't think there are any "pre-Columbus" or "mid-1400's" buildings there:D

We just got back from a cruise this Sunday. We did the El Yunque Rainforest tour with a private company called Natural Wonders. We had an absolutely incredible time. The guide picked us up at the Sheraton across the street from where we docked. We had a private tour for 8 at a cost of $60 per person for 5 hrs. I can't say enough about this amazing rainforest. The guide educated us on the history of Puerto Rico, its culture, its people, and the richness and beauty of the rainforest. He took us to areas of the national park only accessible by hiking. We also saw and walked under and through waterfalls not seen on the cruise ship shore excursion to the same rainforest. It was definitely for active participants. I very highly recommend this tour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great comments. But, Columbus sailed in 1492 and San Juan was founded in 1508. I don't think there are any "pre-Columbus" or "mid-1400's" buildings there:D

Yeah my bad on the dates.....:rolleyes::eek: I was confused a little. I could have sworn I read somewhere in one of the forts that they were started being constructed before when Columbus "might" have landed in Puerto Rico. I could definitely be mistaken though. I am definitely not a historian but just very intrigued with San Juan as a whole.

Great ideas! We may be cruising here in Nov. and need something cheap to do! I know my kids would love zip-lining but our budget is super tight.

My kids are ages 15, 12 and 7 and I think they'd like the fort and then maybe we could go to the beach for a bit. The rainforest sounds really neat too!!!

Does the free trolley take you to the fort, rainforest and/or beach or anything else that would interest them.

Also my hubby enjoy unusual beer, can anyone recommend a place for him to check out? Do they make beer in SJ?

Edited by loveysbydesign

We just got back from a cruise this Sunday. We did the El Yunque Rainforest tour with a private company called Natural Wonders. We had an absolutely incredible time. The guide picked us up at the Sheraton across the street from where we docked. We had a private tour for 8 at a cost of $60 per person for 5 hrs. I can't say enough about this amazing rainforest. The guide educated us on the history of Puerto Rico, its culture, its people, and the richness and beauty of the rainforest. He took us to areas of the national park only accessible by hiking. We also saw and walked under and through waterfalls not seen on the cruise ship shore excursion to the same rainforest. It was definitely for active participants. I very highly recommend this tour.

Oooo, this sounds really neat!

Did you do this tour from them?

"Experience and Explore! El Yunque and Luquillo Beach Combo!

Location: Rio Grande and Luquillo Full day tour that combines a visit of El Yunque with a dip in the ocean at Luquillo beach. This trip specializes in off the beaten path locations within the forest, including a visit to a river that has a natural waterslide, famous among locals. Here you can swim, walk, hike or slide! - Cost: $85 / person"

Edited by loveysbydesign

Great ideas! We may be cruising here in Nov. and need something cheap to do! I know my kids would love zip-lining but our budget is super tight.

My kids are ages 15, 12 and 7 and I think they'd like the fort and then maybe we could go to the beach for a bit. The rainforest sounds really neat too!!!

Does the free trolley take you to the fort, rainforest and/or beach or anything else that would interest them.

Also my hubby enjoy unusual beer, can anyone recommend a place for him to check out? Do they make beer in SJ?

The trolley is just for Old San Juan- I've never seen one go out to where the Caribe Hilton is, which is sorta, kinda, a beach. There are no beachs in Old San Juan.

A taxi can take you to a beach area.

The rainforest is quite a way's away- more than I would put for a taxi even- better to rent a car or hire at tour.

Depending on how long you are docked, you can also go the opposite direction west of San Juan toward the caverns or the Aericebo observatory. Or head south into the mountains.

For Disappointed- look harder. Puerto Rico has some good tourist sites, and the tourist magazine Que Pasa is also helpful in showing things to do...

San Juan is nothing to be disappointed about. We love it so much we've done multiple land vacations there.

We loved San Juan so much when we called there on Celebrity Infinity in 2006 that we keep talking about going back for a land vacation, though we haven't done it yet. May I ask where you stay (or have stayed) while in S.J? I'm always looking for recommendations!

We loved San Juan so much when we called there on Celebrity Infinity in 2006 that we keep talking about going back for a land vacation, though we haven't done it yet. May I ask where you stay (or have stayed) while in S.J? I'm always looking for recommendations!

I know you were not asking me, but this coming January we are cruising out of San Juan again. We normally go in a couple of days early and stay after at least a couple of days to maximize our time there. We have always stayed in the San Juan area in Hotels like the Caribe Hilton etc. This time we are staying in a condo out in the Fajardo area (by the Bio-bay and close to El Yunque rainforest) We have 6 in our group and this place has 3 bed rooms and can sleep up to 8 (it has a set of bunk beds in one room. It is definitely cheaper at around $125 a night than 3 hotel rooms at the same price.

In San Juan we have stayed at the Courtyard (near airport) and enjoyed it very much, the Intercontinental when I got a good deal on Hotwire, we have also stayed 3 hours east in Rincon, once in a condo for a week and once at the Villa Confresi Hotel for a week. Also, once stayed for a week in Fajardo at the El Conquistador.

Each experience has been very different but we loved them all.

Great feedback...sounded great. We will look into this!

We just got back from a cruise this Sunday. We did the El Yunque Rainforest tour with a private company called Natural Wonders. It was definitely for active participants. Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, if someone has limited mobility, this tour might not be for them?

A popular activity in front of the el morro fort is kite-flying on the huge green space. The kids might enjoy that!

Great feedback...sounded great. We will look into this!

What time does the ship dock? The rainforest sadly isn't an option on ships that pull in later in the day because of the distance from port. If it's an early arrival, you'll be ok.

Our celebrity cruise docks at 3 and it's unfortunate because I really wanted to do the rainforest.