Disappointed

SportsMomof4

What time does the ship dock? The rainforest sadly isn't an option on ships that pull in later in the day because of the distance from port. If it's an early arrival, you'll be ok.

Our celebrity cruise docks at 3 and it's unfortunate because I really wanted to do the rainforest.

We get in at 8 so it would work for us. Although it's NYE so it doesn't seem as if the group wants to be on a long trip that day. So we may decide to have a low key day...forts then maybe OSJ & go shopping.

We loved San Juan so much when we called there on Celebrity Infinity in 2006 that we keep talking about going back for a land vacation, though we haven't done it yet. May I ask where you stay (or have stayed) while in S.J? I'm always looking for recommendations!

After stopping in San Juan on a cruise in 2010, my husband insisted that we take a cruise from San Juan. In 2012, we arrived on a Wednesday before our ship sailed on Saturday and stayed in Old San Juan at the Caleta 64Apartments. We have a 3 room apartment with a kitchen ... right in the heart of Old San Juan.

Next year, we are going to stay at the Marriott Condado to see how we like staying in the resort area.

Sports Mom, check out the StandUp Paddleboard options at Condado Lagoon (not on the beach part). I think there are 2 rental companies. You paddle around in the lagoon area, which is more protected.

You've heard about the rainforest, there is also a pretty cool cave spot in a different part of the island called Camuy Caves, you could look into that option.

You could do Segway tours in Old San Juan, that's pretty fun. Or look into oneof the walking food tours or cooking classes. Lots to do besides zip lines and looking at forts. Although the forts are top notch and The Beast zip line at Toro Verde is the 2nd longest in the world :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Old San Juan is a working city, not a cruiseline made-for-tourists destination. There are many, many things to see in the old city, just walking around or taking the trolley. I describe it as a beautiful old city full of beautiful young people. :D

Disappointed? Wow!

I absolutely fell in love with the place when DD & I stopped there (full day stop) in December 2007. Loved it so much I had to book a cruise for May 2009 and flew down a day early and stayed two days after.

Sailed solo from there last November and flew down 2 days early and just spent the days wandering around the old city. Got home and booked another repositioning cruise for this November and flying down a day early again. I cannot wait to return!

But there are things to do outside the city. Do your research and don't rely on just the cruise excursions. There is tons of info about San Juan and Puerto Rico out there on the internet.

PS - I find the forts fascinating. I'm not a history or military buff, but I always seem to find myself going to forts wherever I find them in the islands. And the views from up on the walls are great, too.