Can you get from Sitka to Petersburg?

goldiep

I very much want to take an Alaskan cruise but my husband,who has been to Alaska,says the cruise ships don't go to the beautiful town of Petersburg.They do,however,go to nearby Sitka.Is it possible to catch a ferry from your ship in Sitka for a daytrip to Petersburg?

Hello goldiep:

Their are cruise ships that go to Petersburg along with the Alaskan State Ferry. You are going to have to look at the smaller lines such as Glacier Bay Cruiselines or Cruise West. There are a couple of other smaller cruise lines that go to Alaska but I'm not sure if they go to Petersburg or not.

There are ferries that go from Sitka to Petersburg. In August they are the LeConte, Matanuska and the Columbia. The trouble is that they do not run daily nor is it a day trip. You would have to stay in Petersburg 1-3 days before catching the ferry back. An option would be to take a flight from Sitka to Petersburg.

I'm fairly sure that Alaska Air flies pretty regularly to Petersburg along with the other cities so you may want to look at them also.

Rogue

Thanks everyone,

Though I am disappointed about the ferries,I will check into the flight idea.The smaller cruise ships aren't an option as the other couple we are going with will be taking their first cruise and they want the "cruise experience" of a major line.

Archived