Bermuda with a wheelchair-need suggestions!

bamadawg

We dock in Kings Wharf the first week of October on Voyager of the Sea. My Grandmother will be in an electric wheelchair (with Oxygen) and her sister will also be in a manual wheelchair. Are there any excursions they can do that won't require extensive travel and are wheelchair accessible? Also, some family is flying from the US to Bermuda to meet us there. Can anyone suggest a "meeting place" that my Grandmother and her sister can easily get to? Maybe a restaurant or some other covered place so they don't get too hot. Thanks for the suggestions!

We (mom and I) are going on the Grandure the second week in October and are also looking for things my mother can do. She will be in a manual wheelchair w/ oxygen. She would love to do a glass bottom boat but all the one's I've found said you have to be able to walk down some steps. She can (on a good day but isn't too stable), so as long as it was only 2 or 3 steps that are very stable and the wheelchair could be close she could possible go that route. I'll be interested to see if anyone has any suggestions.

I hope you find some answers to your questions.

My aunt was in a lightweight manual chair but we didnt do excusions.

We did get her to horseshoe bay once.

We had to drag the chair in the sand, she didnt mind but it too alot of hard work on our part.:D

Since your in Bermuda for such a short time. Maybe see if they can meet you at Kings wharf in the frog and onion.

Ive never been there but it seem to be a nice place.

There is a mall there also that has a little resturant and sittting area.

Also since it will be cooler that time of year, it shouldnt be too hot if they want to met outside.

Your Grandmother can wander around most Hamilton and St. Georges in a wheelchair and you can take the ferry to them. As noted by bermudashorts Horseshoe Bay is accessible, though it might be tough moving a wheelchair in the sand. The Aquarium/Zoo and the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute are also wheelchair accessible but might be too much travel to reach.

I'd meet in either the Frog N' Onion Pub or at the Clocktower Mall. The Pub is closer than the mall but at the mall your Grandmother can wander around while she waits. The mall isn't that big (maybe 15-20 small stores), it won't take long for you to find her so you don't need to meet at a specific store.

Archived