Traveling with a Frio cool pack?

PennyAgain

I could use advice on how well a Frio cool pack works on a ship. The Frio packs are for drugs of various sorts are can't be allowed to get warm, but the Frio packs use water and not ice.

My Frio pack works well for me in dry Texas. I need to know if it will work in a maritime environment.

Thanks.

we've used them for the last few years to store for husbands embrel medication for inflammatory arthritis

they work very well but the longest have kept them in the frio pack is 48 hours before have transferred to a refrigerator

however we have noticed that it takes at least a week for the crystals to revert to resting phase but the instructions do say can resoak the pack to allow extra "cold time"

so if were camping etc could be used longer term without resorting to a fridge but because they have always been available on board have never had to test it

Edited by fabnfortysomething

Thanks for the great reply! Yes, the Frio is a product still made in the UK but available in the US from Amazon.com (and other sources.)

I live in a very dry climate so the Frio works for me at home and away as it works on evaporation.

I get 3 to 4 days of use out of it, before giving it about an 8 minute soak to recharge. It really is a genius product.

So I was worried that it might not work in a more humid environment like a ship.

My Epipens are not supposed to be chilled as in a refrigerator and I need to keep at least 2 of them with me at all times.

It will work fine as long as you remember to recharge the Frio Pack every few days. I've used one as long as eight days with only one small recharge.

M.

Thanks for the great reply! Yes, the Frio is a product still made in the UK but available in the US from Amazon.com (and other sources.)

I live in a very dry climate so the Frio works for me at home and away as it works on evaporation.

I get 3 to 4 days of use out of it, before giving it about an 8 minute soak to recharge. It really is a genius product.

So I was worried that it might not work in a more humid environment like a ship.

My Epipens are not supposed to be chilled as in a refrigerator and I need to keep at least 2 of them with me at all times.

My thanks for all the replies.

A refrigerator doesn't do me much good as I have to keep my medicines with me at all time including shore outings.

The Frio is working for me today even though it is raining and the humidity is high. I hope that is a good omen for future use.

Friends who have used them on flights have told me that they work well as long as they are out of your carry on bag where the air can circulate.

I'm sure the same issue would be true for carrying a Frio around in a purse.

Yes, work outside purse or suitcase. I bought a mesh bag at Walmart (Target, K-mart?) and use one of those closable hook things to attach it to my day bag or purse or belt. Works great. Barb

I've never had a problem carrying it in my purse for a few hours at a time, like when traveling, on tour, etc. I make sure to carry it in its fabric outer sleeve, so it isn't messy, and do NOT put it in a plastic bag, etc.

M