Silly scone question

SeaCBear

So is it true? Do you people in Devon really put the cream on first? All of you?

I confess to not being a true Devonian as I originally hail from London! There is a solution to the dilemma - cut the scone in half, put jam on one half and cream on the other. Bring the two halves together....and eat whichever side up you prefer!

But true Devonians do put the cream on first, really.:)

Here's something else to add into the equation.

I have friends who really enjoy the experience and the taste of the jam and cream, so they carefully slice their scones into three, rather than two, pieces. That way they can get a higher jam/cream to scone ratio.

Here's something else to add into the equation.

I have friends who really enjoy the experience and the taste of the jam and cream, so they carefully slice their scones into three, rather than two, pieces. That way they can get a higher jam/cream to scone ratio.

That's NOTHING!!! I start by freezing the scone using liquid nitrogen. I then employ an ultramicrotome to cut the scone into a series of ultra-thin slices each precisely 50nm thick. Alternating slices are then spread with monolayers of cream and jam. Finally, the reassembled scone is allowed to thaw out for 24 hours at room temperature. That's the only way to eat scones.

:D:D

J

That's NOTHING!!! I start by freezing the scone using liquid nitrogen. I then employ an ultramicrotome to cut the scone into a series of ultra-thin slices each precisely 50nm thick. Alternating slices are then spread with monolayers of cream and jam. Finally, the reassembled scone is allowed to thaw out for 24 hours at room temperature. That's the only way to eat scones.

:D:D

J

I must try that

I'll be round for afternoon tea tomorrow. Thanks very much.

This thread convinced me to go out and buy clotted cream to go with my home-grown raspberries. I had only ever bought 1 or 2 lots of clotted cream in all my years up to now, but in the last month I must have bought 4 tubs of the stuff! Delicious.

Axelskater, I read that in the past the farms used to use it instead of butter. It was easier to make (with a range that's on all night) and goes further than butter. Hmm, I wonder what it would taste like with oat cakes and cheese, instead of my normal butter.

I think it would be delicious on just about anything. When they bring the scones & clotted cream I just enjoy it and make a mental note to move my next cholesterol test back a few more weeks or so.

I bought jarred "Double Devon" cream hoping to replicate the experience - it was a disappointment..

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, yet another redundant answer ; -)

Scones with out raisins were available but seemed to run out. Ask if you don't see them.

Initially I was served sweet whipped cream. I asked for clotted cream and got an unsweetened cream that might have been clotted cream or might have been very heavy whipping cream well beaten just to the point of becoming butter. It was an improvement.

Thanks Sara. That's worth knowing. My plans were to take my own clotted cream onboard, now that I've become addicted to it. I also thought about taking my own jam, as I like a jam with lots of flavour, but I thought that might be a bit too much to carry to afternoon tea every day. :D (However, I allow myself scones/jam/cream so rarely that I feel they should be perfect when I do have them.)

... My plans were to take my own clotted cream onboard ... I also thought about taking my own jam ...
Hi fantasy51,

For the very first time I took some clotted cream (Rodda's/Tesco Finest) with me on QM2 last week. It kept very well in the cabin 'fridge (I made sure I picked a tub with a sale-by date well after the cruise was over). I declined the little squeeze of whipped cream that I was offered by the steward (one looked puzzled when I tried to explain what clotted cream was, and why I was declining the stuff provided). I'd certainly do this again, and the ladies at my table also seemed to appreciate real clotted cream with tea and scones :) . The jam no longer comes around with the scones and cream, instead there are four small individual jars provided on each table (this was in the Queens Room).

Hope this helps, have a great time :)

Edited by pepperrn

Thank you Peppern, that does indeed help. I have never liked those small rectangular containers with miniscule amounts of jam and cream - and that was before I found one left behind under a chair in the Queens Room, the jam ground into the carpet and stepped in by four of us before I found it, all of us wondering why the dance floor seemed sticky! (What a mess on the suede soles of our dancing shoes.) The individual jars sound lovely from the point of view of spoiling us (though the eco part of me worries about the extra recycling needed).