Can we skip formal night?

sappy

I have been trying to convince my DH that we should try a cruise. We're used to staying at luxury hotels in the Caribbean and he's afraid that a cruiseship won't measure up. He's tempted by RSSC, but he's nervous about attending too many formal nights. Could we skip one formal night and eat room service on our balcony?

Hi Sappy,

The answer is yes, you can eat in the comfort of your suite formal night. The Compass Rose restaurant dinner menu can be ordered during dinner hours and will be promptly served with a lovely set up (don't forget the wine, which on RSSC, is free with dinner). The menu for all the dining rooms for the day/evening runs on channel 01 on your TV, so you can see 'what's for dinner'.

RSSC Mariner - Mexican Riviera - March 9 2004

I wonder how many customers Radisson loses because they have these formal nights. I know I chose Windstar over them for our first cruise because of this issue and am leaning towards Windstar again for next year. I have little interest in playing dress up in order to have a meal and hiding in my room seems like an insult after paying $5000+ for a trip.

Does anyone go on cruises because they like an excuse to wear a tux? Perhaps I travel in different circles and I am ignorant to those that like these formal nights. icon_rolleyes.gif

Sappy,

Depending on your itinerary, there may only be 1 formal nite and on some itineraries (Tahiti, Alaska, Bermuda) there are no formal nites. A tux is not necessary, a dark suit will do fine. Also on Voyager and Mariner there is an alternative restaurant, La Veranda, where you could eat. You certainly can choose to eat on your balcony also.

markRichmond,

there are some people who enjoy formal nites. I like you are not one of them. A tux is not necessary, a dark suit is fine. Don't want formal at all, check out one the itineraries that have no formal nites: Tahiti, Bermuda, Alaska.

Vickie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;6;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

12/6/04 WOWzers Chocolate Lovers Cruise on Voyager

It's not that life is short, it that we wait too long to begin enjoying it.

Thanks!! We really don't mind hiding out in the room, but we do want to eat. My aunt and uncle cruise all the time and LOVE dressing up for formal nights. Different strokes for different folks.

I used to take a tux with all the accessories, but gave that up. I wear a dark suit, a long sleeve white shirt, and my tux bow tie. I felt very comfortable that way, nad nobody said anything.

Normally the formal nites are for the captain's welcome and farewell dinners.

I agree re formal nights. Having to dress up for dinner is the one thing that has put me off trying a cruise thus far.This may be a stupid question, but , as I said, we have never cruised before- is there a charge for room service.(will be sailing Alaska on Mariner in 2005)

Sue

No charge for room service. The only charges you would have for room services is if you order caviar, or additional liquor.

Alaska cruises are usually country casual with one or two informal nites. No formal nites. Men wear a jacket, tie not required, on informal nites, ladies a dressy pant suit or a nice dress.

Vickie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;6;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

12/6/04 WOWzers Chocolate Lovers Cruise on Voyager

It's not that life is short, it that we wait too long to begin enjoying it.

There was a recent post on the Silversea board that (on at least one ship) Silversea now gives a casual option for formal nights. Dinner is taken the the Terrace restaurant; guests are to take drinks in the Observation Lounge. Otherwise, they should not be in public areas. I think this is a nice compromise: Formal for those who want it, casual for others.

I don't think the dress code should ever deter anyone from taking a cruise they want on a ship with which they want to cruise. There are always alternatives for dining. On the RSSC ships, you can always have dinner on your balcony or en-suite on formal night. On the venerable Silversea, which was my last cruise, they just announced that on the formal night, you can eat country club casual in the alternative restaurant and have drinks in one of the bars pre- and post dinner without the dress code. (you just can't go to the other public venues without donning the formal code dress) The lines are listening to the sentiments of those above! I can't remember what the rules are on Radisson, as I only have two codes, formal and informal, because I like to "sort of" dress for dinner at night. But because I am a woman, there is no tie, no tux, I just do what I want to do!

All that said, I just got a mailing today from Amex re: Windstar. Sorry, in another life I did crewed sailboat charters for vacations with families and with friends. If you want to sail, do that in a private sailboat and it will cost less than a "sail-ship". It will be personalized to you with respect to menu, itinerary, everything. You can wear a t-shirt and shorts all day every day, and that is great, too! If I had a group of friends to cruise with now, I would do it in a minute.

We are sailing on Navigator and their brochure suggests no strict formal night. They suggest "Country Club Casual" in the evening, jackets are required for men but ties are optional, they are not required.

Do other Radisson ships have a different dress code?

I am just a "dumb" aussie!!! We do not use the term country club casual- never heard of it till I joined this board- does it mean a tie with the jacket? We say smart casual but this does not include a tie.

By the way I am really impressed what a valuable information resource this is for someone new to cruising. thanks for all your replies

Sue

corniglia: welcome! Country club casual means that men don't have to wear coat and tie. On Radisson, "informal" means they have to wear a coat but they don't have to wear a tie (although it is encouraged). "Formal" means they have to wear a suit or a tux. It is all very simple. For us women, it is easier since we don't have to put up with ties, according to the men.

Editing to say that my very favorite people that I met on my last cruise were from Melbourne Australia! (oh, I hope I spelled that right)

thanks jhp. Your spelling is spot on. I am originally from Melbourne but now reside in sunny Brisbane. Thanks for advice- interested as my husband prefers not to wear a coat and tie on holidays- says he wears it all day at work and thats enough!!

jhp- We are going to Bermuda. The brochure suggests the following for Navigator:

"On board, the Seven Seas Navigator's attire ranges from sportswear and casual wear during daytime activities to "Country Club Casual" for evenings. For the two Captain's cocktail parties, informal attire is suggested (i.e. cocktail dresses for women and suits or blazers for men). During the evening hours in the ship's restaurants, elegant resort wear such as slacks, open neck shirts and jackets are appropriate for men, ties are optional, they are not required. Women will find dresses, pantsuits, or separates suitable for evenings."

Archived