Tracy Arm Excursion?

nova1

Has anyone taken this excursion or otherwise have an opinion? It seems unusual and we are strongly considering it despite the price for a family of 4. Thanks

Tracy Arm Glacier Quest

Tour code: TCY6251.

Duration: 4½ Hours.

Join an exclusive opportunity to see the very best of the Tracy Arm wilderness area and an exciting close-up view of the majestic Sawyer Glaciers.

The adventure begins as soon as you board a luxurious, high-speed catamaran directly from the Seven Seas Mariner. Relax in the warm, spacious cabin, surrounded by large windows as your experienced captain guides you past curious seals resting on floating icebergs. The extraordinary maneuverability of this vessel will allow you to get as close as possible to the ever-changing face of South Sawyer Glacier.

From the topside observation decks you will be able to enjoy this unforgettable experience with all your senses. You can sometimes even feel the "white thunder", as immense spires of ice break from the glacier and crash into the sea. Before departing the head of Tracy Arm you will also view the beautiful North Sawyer Glacier, which cannot be approached by large cruise ships.

While exploring the length of this ice-carved fjord you will cruise beneath cliffs that rise 4000-feet above the jade-colored sea. There will be frequent stops to view and photograph wildlife, such as Pigeon Guillemots, Bald Eagles, Harbor Seals, and occasionally Mountain Goats and Black Bear. Feel the mist on your face as the vessel maneuvers almost directly under a plunging waterfall.

Departing Tracy Arm, the onboard naturalist will provide a wealth of information about the area, which naturalist John Muir called "one of the most dramatically stunning fjords of Southeast Alaska". Enjoy a variety of complementary snacks and beverages served by your friendly Alaskan crew as you trace the rugged shores of Stephens Passage on the cruise north to Juneau.

Please note: To fully enjoy the outside observation deck, dress warmly and bring a rainproof jacket, hat & gloves. Vessel is equipped with restrooms. The tour will disembark next to the Seven Seas Mariner in downtown Juneau. Onboard the catamaran, a hearty snack will be served, so on arrival those guests participating in an afternoon tour, can do so without the need to worry about lunch. This tour is available from June onwards.

Provided: Binoculars, snacks.

Program Pricing

Adult: $149.00.

Child: $99.00.

Tracy Arm is stunningly beautiful. When I was on the Navigator in 2002, Tracy Arm was part of the itinerary, not an excursion, but that meant a much shorter time in Juneau. From this description, it appears that you would be able to get closer to shore than the Navigator was able to do, allowing for a greater chance of seeing wildlife. Despite the price, if Tracy Arm is not part of my actual itinerary, I would do this excursion. The Sawyer Glaciers are worth seeing and the scenery cruising thru the fjord is really something.

Vickie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;6;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

12/6/04 WOWzers Chocolate Lovers Cruise on Voyager

It's not that life is short, it that we wait too long to begin enjoying it.

Hi there. on the last cruise of the season on the Radiance last year we were not able to go to Hubbard Glacier (Our 2nd time we have missed it!), and instead we went to Tracy Arm - it was beautiful! All of the crew thought it was beautiful as well. It would be well worth the cost. As Foreveryoung said it really is something!

Nova1,

I am curious about this since I saw your post. Is this a new excursion being offered by RSSC? I just have not noticed it before or heard anyone talk about it.

Has anyone taken this excursion? If so, how was it? We will be there in June. I am looking for some more details and feedback on this excursion if anyone has some.

Thanks,

Ginny

Archived