Does it matter how you book your cruise.

hardydog

Has anyone else felt a difference in customer service due to how they have booked a cruise.

My wife and I go on several cruises each year We use Royal Carribean, P+O and Cunnard. Since we are retired we can spend as much time as we want researching the best deals available.

We recently booked a Queen Victoria cruise through an american web site as they offered the best price.

We received all booking refs, e tickets and luggage labels and are looking forward to the sailing.

We tried to book shore excursions on line through the voyage personalizer but without success.On phoning customer services, I was surprised that firstly, they wanted to know why I had chosen to book through the USA and then the off hand reply;- well book your shore excusions through them as our local systems aren't designed to interact with US bookings. We will now wait til we are on board to book excusions but I do find the attitude of customer services strange.

Not strange at all they told you the truth the two systems are not compatible as they are geared for different markets, You will also that your World Club number is also different.

Has anyone else felt a difference in customer service due to how they have booked a cruise.

My wife and I go on several cruises each year We use Royal Carribean, P+O and Cunnard. Since we are retired we can spend as much time as we want researching the best deals available.

We recently booked a Queen Victoria cruise through an american web site as they offered the best price.

We received all booking refs, e tickets and luggage labels and are looking forward to the sailing.

We tried to book shore excursions on line through the voyage personalizer but without success.On phoning customer services, I was surprised that firstly, they wanted to know why I had chosen to book through the USA and then the off hand reply;- well book your shore excusions through them as our local systems aren't designed to interact with US bookings. We will now wait til we are on board to book excusions but I do find the attitude of customer services strange.

If you book through a travel agent, whether UK or US, you need to contact Cunard through them. This is standard industry practice. The Cunard website has many glitches so it is no surprise that the VP doesn't work.

If you book through a travel agent, whether UK or US, you need to contact Cunard through them. This is standard industry practice. The Cunard website has many glitches so it is no surprise that the VP doesn't work.

If you originally book direct thru Cunard, can you later transfer your booking to a TA? Can you do this after final payment? In some situations one might could pick up some extra on-board credit if transfers are allowed.

If you originally book direct thru Cunard, can you later transfer your booking to a TA? Can you do this after final payment? In some situations one might could pick up some extra on-board credit if transfers are allowed.

I have booked a future cruise while on board QM2, and asked at the time that my booking be accredited to my travel agent. The booking was confirmed while I was board at the fare offered by my travel agent, with the on board credit she offered. I was very pleased that it worked out so well.

But after final payment, the deal is done - the contract is sealed. So no, we can't shop for a better deal unless the previous booking is cancelled. After final payment date, cancellation charges apply, so it is hard to imagine a situation where there would be any advantage in canceling and making a new booking after final payment date.

This is only my personal experience as a USA passenger, booking through a USA travel agent. Experiences may vary - don't they always ? :)

Edited by Salacia

I am not sure that it matters with whom you book as regards shore tours, service on board, but it does matter in more personal ways.

Some areas have different pricing for the same cabins, some agents offer more OBC, or "free diner in TE or Verandah" some promotions (depending on country) offer airfares in an inclusive deal, some agents have a rep on board to handle any problems that might arise.

Yes- if you book a future cruise on board you can then transfer that booking and you may then receive more OBC from the agent, but if the price goes down, you may have to fight to get the lower price. Cunard is not passenger friendly in this respect.

If you travel on a trip booked via your TA and make a new booking on board it is automatically transferred to the TA who handled the initial booking. But you my object in the stage of booking.

[quote name=We recently booked a Queen Victoria cruise through an american web site as they offered the best price.

If you are a UK Resident are you sure that they will allow you to board the ship?[/quote]

Why wouldn't they? I have booked several cruises via US sites and never had any issues. Cunard will have been paid they won't mind who arranged the booking as long as they have your money.

If you travel on a trip booked via your TA and make a new booking on board it is automatically transferred to the TA who handled the initial booking. But you my object in the stage of booking.

That has not been my experience. If you book on board, your passage is booked through Cunard, unless specifically requested that your booking is to be made through your travel agent. It is not done automatically - it must be specified. That has been my personal experience. As I mentioned previously, there was no problem in do so, and the transaction went well.

Why wouldn't they? I have booked several cruises via US sites and never had any issues. Cunard will have been paid they won't mind who arranged the booking as long as they have your money.

Just wondering...does that mean I can book through UK travel sites? I've seen some amazing sail/fly schemes on UK sites that are not on offer in the US. Anyone from the US had experience with booking through a UK travel site? -Thanks, -S

That has not been my experience. If you book on board, your passage is booked through Cunard, unless specifically requested that your booking is to be made through your travel agent. It is not done automatically - it must be specified. That has been my personal experience. As I mentioned previously, there was no problem in do so, and the transaction went well.

So there are different procedures for different countries of origin of booking - on the same cruise...

So there are different procedures for different countries of origin of booking - on the same cruise...

Yes, that seems to be the situation. Apparently, not only does every passengers experience vary, but so also does the booking rules, fares, on board activities, including swimming au naturel - none of which seriously bothers me as long as the ship doesn't sink.