Questions about the Crown for December 20th Cruise

GradUT

I am considering booking the Crown for our family (parents + 2 children in their mid-20's) for a Christmas cruise beginning December 20th. The cruise departs from LA and cruises to Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo. (We are particularly interested in the Mazatlan port as we used to live there and haven't been back to visit in 15 years. Yes, we know about the problems as we still have friends who live there.)

Anyway, we have been on two Princess cruises, the Island (Panama Canal) and Pacific (Black Sea) so neither of them were particularly "family-oriented" cruises.

I have a few questions, the answers to which should help me decide if this is the right cruise for us:

1. Are there going to be a lot of kids on this Christmas cruise? I.e. Do families go to western Mexico these days?

2. Is the MUTS going to annoy us if we are at the pool? We've avoided any ship with MUTS because we hate the noise of movies, music videos, sports events, etc. when we are at the pool trying to read. Does it run all day or just at night?

3. There were lots of games and cruise-director led activities on both the Princess and the Island. Will we find the same on the Crown? (With 3 sea days, we want something to do!)

4. Any other advice, tips for us?

Thanks so much for your input!

I am considering booking the Crown for our family (parents + 2 children in their mid-20's) for a Christmas cruise beginning December 20th. The cruise departs from LA and cruises to Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo. (We are particularly interested in the Mazatlan port as we used to live there and haven't been back to visit in 15 years. Yes, we know about the problems as we still have friends who live there.)

Anyway, we have been on two Princess cruises, the Island (Panama Canal) and Pacific (Black Sea) so neither of them were particularly "family-oriented" cruises.

I have a few questions, the answers to which should help me decide if this is the right cruise for us:

1. Are there going to be a lot of kids on this Christmas cruise? I.e. Do families go to western Mexico these days?

2. Is the MUTS going to annoy us if we are at the pool? We've avoided any ship with MUTS because we hate the noise of movies, music videos, sports events, etc. when we are at the pool trying to read. Does it run all day or just at night?

3. There were lots of games and cruise-director led activities on both the Princess and the Island. Will we find the same on the Crown? (With 3 sea days, we want something to do!)

1. haven't cruised during the holidays but would imagine there will be a fair amount of families onboard.

2. There are two main pools on the Crown. Both on Lido. One with MUTS and one without. I didn't hear MUTS when I was at the main pool.

3. It will depend on the Cruise Director and staff. But, I've cruised Princess many times to the Mexican Riviera and have found that activities were plentiful.

Have a great cruise if you decide to book.:)

Your children are in their mid-20s, so are you asking about kids in order to avoid them? If so, expect that you will find families onboard since it's a holiday cruise, regardless of destination and these are pretty mainstream ports. Maybe more people hanging out onboard during the day in port than in the Caribbean . . .

As Michelle pointed out, there are two uncovered main pools on the Lido Deck on this ship, and one of them is blessedly MUTS-free. You might faintly hear the sound of loud explosions or sound effects from the MUTS screen every now and then depending on where your lounger is, but in general it's inaudible and won't be intrusive if you avoid that specific pool (and yes, it runs all day). The Crown also has a fantastic aft pool, which is totally uncovered and adults-only. Very nice, very relaxing with lovely views. And the Lido Spa pool is forward, also adults-only and generally very quiet. Lots of pools on this particular ship; you'll be spoiled for choice.

I think you'll find similar, if not more. Generally people feel that the smaller ship has less to do, so if you were good on the PP, you'll likely enjoy the KP. Not all CDs are created equal, of course; hopefully, you'll have a good one.

It's going to seem much more crowded a ship than the Island and certainly than the Pacific, so be prepared for that -- you're sharing a finite amount of space with 3100 of your new best friends. Seek out the uncrowded spots (my favourite indoor space is the Adagio bar, aft on Deck 16, and I enjoy an afternoon drink/coffee at the charming little terrace with patio tables and chairs right outside it, complete with tinkling fountain and gorgeous wake views) and pack your patience and sense of humour. It's a lovely ship.

We sailed the Crown last year Christmas week. While nearly sold-out, we never felt crowded nor did we find any group of people intrusive. Generally, we spent most days in lounge chairs near the Tradewinds bar. Occasionally, there was some noise from MUTS, but not until later in the day. We easily found lounge chairs each day and the children that were nearby (although few) just enjoyed themselves. Most spent more time at the pool. We were just above the pool and could easily pop down to cool off if needed. I found the adults only area to be too quiet as we like to laugh a lot! We loved the Christmas week cruise and are sailing the Regal Princess this year.

WE cruised on the Crown 2 years ago over Christmas and New Years on B2B in the Western Caribbean and we loved it...we are in our 70's and we were alone cruising without our family. WE loved the way the ship was decorated for the holidays and the special Christmas events, Santa, carolers, snow in the atrium, Christmas stockings on our bed Xmas eve, singing Christmas carols in Crooners on Christmas eve. All that was great but there were a LOT of kids all ages on board, also large extended families with babies, small children, teens, parents and grandparents. They had special programs, activities and events planned for the kids which kept them busy, we avoided the big pools because they were filled with so many Marco Polo playing kids, instead we booked the Sanctuary and used the spa pool so did not hear MUTS which we find to be annoying...

I cannot imagine you would not have fun and enjoy the cruise with your family..you are on vacation and relaxed and it's Christmas, all good things.

The ship is large and everyone seems to find their niche, I hope you decide to book you will love it. We loved how relaxed our Christmas was, no cooking, no stress, no last minute shopping.

Edited by SissyG

Our last three cruises were the Hawaiian RTs over the holidays. Not on the Crown (it wasn't even over here on the West Coast a couple of years ago) so I can't speak for that specific ship, but I would point out that this ship doesn't have a covered pool (unless one has been put in the last couple of years). There could be a cool day leaving LA and on the sea day returning to LA. You didn't say where you're from or if you've been here during winter, but often people assume we're sunny 365 days a year. So don't be surprised if it's rainy (December is in the middle of our so-called rainy season, and many of us will be hoping fervently for a lot of rain this winter as right now we're going through water rationing) and in the 50s/60s during the day.

And yes, expect many families with kids. Because school districts have been cracking down on parents taking kids out of school for vacations, the last couple of weeks of December and the first week of January are prime time for families to go on cruises. There's plenty of families within a short distance of San Pedro (we're about an hour's drive) so it's an easy cruise to do. We've done it a couple of times, but personally I'm not fond of Mexico so if we go on another MR cruise, it's just to get on a ship and not because of the ports. There is a concern about what's going on Mexico with drug cartels, but I've felt this way even before the problem has gotten out of control.

About activities, as others have said, it comes down to your cruise director and the CD staff. Hopefully there will be the same sort of activities that you had on your previous Princess cruises.

We enjoyed our holiday cruises, especially as we were away from home and didn't have to avoid malls, etc. (We actually did go to a shopping center on Christmas Day 2012, but in Ka'anapali, Maui, and it was so nice not to be in a crowded mall and not to have to circle a parking lot looking for a parking space)

1. Yes lots of kids but I never see them except for dinner and of course SAnta's visit.

2. MUTS will be playing. I guess it depends on what you consider annoying. If you do find it annoying there are lots of places to read that won't be so loud. I'm not sure what times it plays.

3. Activities depend on what the cruise director plans. However, I have always thought that if you have to work very hard to be bored.

4. Tip: relax and don't sweat the small,stuff. Enjoy things as they come along and go with the flow. Your cruise is what you make it to be.