Snorkeling in Chankaanab

jvz

My kids, 4 & 7yrs, want to snorkel at Chankaanab after their dolphin swim. Is full snorkel gear required in the snorkel area? My kids don't like snorkeling goggles and would prefer to just wear their swimming goggles. Is that possible?

Yes, you can wear whatever goggles you want. My daughter started snorkeling at 3 years old at Chankanaab and she still to this day (she's 6 now) only wears a pair of speedo goggles over the eyes. No worries. They are required to wear a life jacket though if you don't have one for them.

We were there several yrs ago... One of my favorite places to visit.

Sad to hear it changed... Will look into that.

We are avid snorkelers...My DH likes to feed the fish.........thousands of them...they began nipping at me...I nicknamed them Cozumel piranhas

FIMAlligatorReefUW4.jpg

Thanks for the replies. So do we have to bring our own life jackets or is their a place to rent?

You don't have to bring your own life jackets, they have them there. If you rent them at the life jacket shop (which is right before you get to the snorkeling rental shack) then they are free when you leave an ID with them. If you rent them over at the snorkeling shack, they charge you. :) (Unless this has changed since we were there).