Kefalonia Car Rental Caveat

whystayhome

We were supposed to dock in Fiskardo, but the port was changed to Sami about a month before the trip. Four of us still wanted to see Fiskardo, so we decided to rent a car for the day. It was tough to find a vendor who would respond to my emails, but we finally booked through VIP cars.

The booking was made through a company that turned out to be based in New York. They, of course, charged a commission, a fact not made clear until after initial booking. The charge for the day, clearly marked in red on the invoice, as payable to the rental agency was €99, more than twice what we paid in Katakolon(Olympia) and Corfu, bur we decided to suck it up.

I was picked up at the dock and taken to the car rental agency which was about 1/2 mile away. When They gave me the car, there was a surprise 45€ "Delivery fee." I showed them my invoice, which clearly specified a remaining charge of €99, but they flatly refused to give me the car for that.They said I had to pay for having a man bring it over from Argostoli, and would not budge. They had me over a barrel, as I had already prepaid the rental fee and commission and we had the whole day planned. I took the car. (My husband and I have rented cars all over Europe and have never had an experience like this with a car rental agency.)

THEN, they told me the main road was closed! My friend's husband, the designated driver, had to drive over the mountains on crazy secondary roads. Everything was clearly marked, and the island was just beautiful, but it was a harrowing trip to Fiskardo. The driver's wife took an Ativan to cope with the ride.

And then, we had to drive back. Our primary driver was exhausted by the time we got to the port. I dropped the other couple off and went to replace the gas. The nearest stations were out of fuel.

Fiskardo was lovely and we enjoyed our lunch on the water in Assos. The scenery was spectacular in the mountains.

Would I do it again? Probably not and certainly not if the main road were still closed. I would not use VIP cars. I think I would (perish the thought) take a cruise ship excursion or treat it as a sea day if we ever dock there again.

• 2 weeks later...

Your tale of woe had a familiar ring , whystayathome! I had an uncannily similar experience a couple of years ago.

I’d exchanged emails (after a lot of trying) with a firm called Sunbird who do cycle hire. So we agreed a car and a (extortionate) rate. I turned up at their office.

“we don’t have any cars”

“but I sent you an email”

“we didn’t receive it”

“but you replied – here this is what you sent”

lots of discussion in greek

“can you drive an automatic?”

“I guess so”

“he’ll show you – that’ll be 65Euro”

“but we agreed 45”

“its a bigger car”

“but we agreed a Hyundai atos”

“that’s gone, there is only this”

“but I booked it - it isn’t my fault you’ve given it to somebody else”

“do you want it or not”

They took a credit card imprint for the deposit but would only take cash for the rental. I’m absolutely confident the Greek taxman received his due share.

The ship was moored rather than being docked, so getting ashore had taken some time and with my better half and her (limited mobility)dad waiting for me at the quayside I couldn’t look anywhere else. There was stuff going on on the ship later which we wanted to get back for so we didn’t have the car for long. I dropped them off at the quay and went to return the car to see a sign saying “office closed until 5.00” That was the time the ship was due to sail – last on board at 4.30. They had my driving licence!

after trecking back to the ship to see if the ship’s port agent could help out in the event of my not being able to stay, I went back ashore and found the office open.

It appears that Kefalonia's car rental industry needs some close attention, perhaps from the Tourist Board, the consumer protection people, the taxman and, possibly, the police. They certainly don't deserve any custom

Your tale of woe had a familiar ring , whystayathome! I had an uncannily similar experience a couple of years ago.

I’d exchanged emails (after a lot of trying) with a firm called Sunbird who do cycle hire. So we agreed a car and a (extortionate) rate. I turned up at their office.

“we don’t have any cars”

“but I sent you an email”

“we didn’t receive it”

“but you replied – here this is what you sent”

lots of discussion in greek

“can you drive an automatic?”

“I guess so”

“he’ll show you – that’ll be 65Euro”

“but we agreed 45”

“its a bigger car”

“but we agreed a Hyundai atos”

“that’s gone, there is only this”

“but I booked it - it isn’t my fault you’ve given it to somebody else”

“do you want it or not”

They took a credit card imprint for the deposit but would only take cash for the rental. I’m absolutely confident the Greek taxman received his due share.

The ship was moored rather than being docked, so getting ashore had taken some time and with my better half and her (limited mobility)dad waiting for me at the quayside I couldn’t look anywhere else. There was stuff going on on the ship later which we wanted to get back for so we didn’t have the car for long. I dropped them off at the quay and went to return the car to see a sign saying “office closed until 5.00” That was the time the ship was due to sail – last on board at 4.30. They had my driving licence!

after trecking back to the ship to see if the ship’s port agent could help out in the event of my not being able to stay, I went back ashore and found the office open.

It appears that Kefalonia's car rental industry needs some close attention, perhaps from the Tourist Board, the consumer protection people, the taxman and, possibly, the police. They certainly don't deserve any custom

I was going to rent from Sunbird. I have emailed them, but they say they can't confirm anything for me for the day. So, maybe they've changed their policy for cruisers. I'm just going to take my chances. We're trying for a motorcycle or car there. The car rate is now 60 euros, if I believe them! Maybe a cab would be a better option! Our ship is arriving late that day, so who knows (2pm arrival). :eek: