QM2 King's Court Specialty area on Formal Night?

kayakbob

One of my friends wishes to go sail on the QM2 but doesn't want to dress for dinner.

From a recent QM2 Daily Programme: "'any guest wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in 'the Kings Court buffet . . .

The King's Court also has the $10/person "specialty a la carte" area that rotates between Italian, Indian and Asian cuisine. Does anyone know if diners are expected to wear coats in the 'specialty' portion of the KC on formal nights? Thanks, Bob

One of my friends wishes to go sail on the QM2 but doesn't want to dress for dinner. From a recent QM2 Daily Programme: "'any guest wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in 'the Kings Court buffet . . . The King's Court also has the $10/person "specialty a la carte" area that rotates between Italian, Indian and Asian cuisine. Does anyone know if diners are expected to wear coats in the 'specialty' portion of the KC on formal nights? Thanks, Bob
As far as I am aware the dress-code applies to ALL areas of the ship (including ALL the specialty restaurants).

The only exceptions are the one buffet (as highlighted above in your post) and the Winter Garden bar/lounge next door. That is it. Please note that this applies to all evenings, not just the "formal" ones. A jacket (no tie) is also required on informal evenings, other than in the two areas noted before.

(There are many, many ships that do not have a formal dress code, it therefore puzzles me (and others) why someone would choose QM2 with its known formal dress-code. Perhaps your friend would have a greater choice of venues to choose from each evening on one of those ships (rather than no choice on QM2)).

If your friend can pack a dark suit and tie, then he is "dressed" to enjoy the whole ship every evening.

I hope this helps.

Edited by pepperrn

I have just left QM2 and ate in the Lotus area, the requirement to follow the dress code extended to include that as well. I do think that they might be inclined to turn a blind eye to non-conformity as long as some effort had been made.

Thanks to all that replied. When I did a crossing last month I forgot to go down and check out the King's Court specialty area, hence my question. I have discouraged him from booking the QM2 unless he is willing to bring a coat and tie. He was interested in a particular sailing based on sailing date and departure port. I suspect that he will switch over to Princess.