Why Charleston??

Buck64

We have a similar issue nearby. People are complaining about trains blowing their horns and generally making noise and want them to quiet down when they roll by. Well, why did you move near the train tracks in the first place if you don't like noise.?

We have a similar issue nearby. People are complaining about trains blowing their horns and generally making noise and want them to quiet down when they roll by. Well, why did you move near the train tracks in the first place if you don't like noise.?

Very true - I live in a town with a Marine Corp Air Station - people complain about the noise the jets make all the time. The Marines put up a sign outside of the base that says "The Noise you hear is the Sound of Freedom!"

Very true - I live in a town with a Marine Corp Air Station - people complain about the noise the jets make all the time. The Marines put up a sign outside of the base that says "The Noise you hear is the Sound of Freedom!"

Awesome! :D

How does the shuttle bus work? Are there multiple buses? Running times? How far is parking to the building the bus takes you to?

The East Coast Departures board has some threads about sailing from Charleston and the hoops one must jump through with parking/dropoff/shuttle, etc.

All Things Fantasy does too, but I originally tried to keep that thread about the ship itself, not about how to board and disembark.

It seems extremely confusing, but it really isn't. You drop off your bags and go park. If you're on a shuttle or taxi, you and bags are dropped off. You walk a few steps through a gate and wait under the little tent for the next shuttle. If you parked, you'll be picked up there. Those shuttles take you to the terminal building. It's all very simple, really.

Lulu, you aren't seriously saying that Charleston isn't interested in tourism dollars, are you? Charleston is a top tourist destination already! I always recommend that people sail on Fantasy and add at least a day or two before and/or after their cruise to visit Historic Charleston.

The problem is the snobs think Carnival cruisers are beneath them. We aren't upscale enough to visit their fine, Southern city. Fine. Be snobs. I'll spend my tourism dollars in the ports where the locals appreciate my spending!

Hubby is handicapped from military on our last NCL out of New Orleans it as so simple. I didn't think of it being any other way until a friend got me worrying about it. Can anyone give me some advice? He uses a cane now and long distances / stairs are tough.

No worry..... They have handicap acessible shuttle buses during check in tell them you cant do stairs and they will take you on board using the gangway on deck 3 instead of the one that goes to deck 7. They even offer to wheel him onboad. When i took my mother i brought her own wheelchair. She has mobility issues too after a stroke. So no worries. If you have anytime dining you may want to call carnival and have them note yiur account that he has mobility issues. They will sit you close to the door every night. Helped out a lot with my mother.

I live outside of Charleston but we are driving to Jacksonville because the same cruise is $100 per person cheaper. I can't figure out why Charleston is so much more expensive. It's not the port taxes and Jacksonville also only has 1 older ship-Fascination. I don't mind the crummy building-although something newer would be nice-but I do mind the extra cost.

We stopped there for a port, because of propulsion problems on Pride at the time. I never got on a boat there to leave for a new cruise. Getting back on the boat was super easy and I thought everything went great there.

I loved the city, I loved the stop, probably more than I would of enjoyed Freeport.

Beautiful city and full of history.

No worry..... They have handicap acessible shuttle buses during check in tell them you cant do stairs and they will take you on board using the gangway on deck 3 instead of the one that goes to deck 7. They even offer to wheel him onboad. When i took my mother i brought her own wheelchair. She has mobility issues too after a stroke. So no worries. If you have anytime dining you may want to call carnival and have them note yiur account that he has mobility issues. They will sit you close to the door every night. Helped out a lot with my mother.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! In my head I was ok but then I let someone else make me worry!!!!

I live outside of Charleston but we are driving to Jacksonville because the same cruise is $100 per person cheaper. I can't figure out why Charleston is so much more expensive. It's not the port taxes and Jacksonville also only has 1 older ship-Fascination. I don't mind the crummy building-although something newer would be nice-but I do mind the extra cost.

Yes Jacksonville only has 1 ship there but there are still many others in Florida so because of the choices the prices are cheaper. There is no other ship besides the Fantasy unless you go to Florida or up to Baltimore, NY, etc

DH and I just got off the Fascination on Thursday. Great ship! Embarkation took 2.5 hours in the lines. Get there early! The heat was terrible. We missed the large space that Charleston has in the terminal. Debarkation was much later then we are used to. Our group wasn't called until 10:30ish.

I cruised from Charleston in 2013. I thought it was a fine place to visit. I just wish air fares were cheaper there. I would cruise again on the 7 day to HMC and Grand Turk. My favourite places.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

For us, living 25 minutes outside Charleston, it's a no brainer. No parking fees, hotel costs. The itinerary for the 7 day is great. Not the biggest Nassau fan, but HMC and Grand Turk are wonderful. The Fantasy is an awesome ship, no balconies unless you buy a suite, but you can get a porthole cabin for the cost of an interior room. The staff were awesome. Thinking of doing the NYE cruise Dec 27th.

For us, living 25 minutes outside Charleston, it's a no brainer. No parking fees, hotel costs. The itinerary for the 7 day is great. Not the biggest Nassau fan, but HMC and Grand Turk are wonderful. The Fantasy is an awesome ship, no balconies unless you buy a suite, but you can get a porthole cabin for the cost of an interior room. The staff were awesome. Thinking of doing the NYE cruise Dec 27th.

We are 3 1/2 hours away a easy drive. We have not done the 7 day on the Fantasy so we are looking forward to 7 days of awesomeness! We actually like Nassau, love HMC, and looking forward to our first visit to Grand Turk. But we would be happy to do a 7 day to nowhere! Can you imagine that bar bill!

What I did not understand was, we had a taxi take us to the port. When we got to the dropoff site, we were told to go elsewhere. Got there and waited, long time. Finallyl, a bus pulled up and we got on. Went apprx 40 ft. to a stop sign and stopped . And waited. Waited more. We finally left, turning left, went apprx 100 ft,. Turned left again going 100 yards. There sat the ship. It would have been so much faster for those of us who could walk(everyone) to just walk to the ship from the shelter as it was in plain site from the shelter.

What I did not understand was, we had a taxi take us to the port. When we got to the dropoff site, we were told to go elsewhere. Got there and waited, long time. Finallyl, a bus pulled up and we got on. Went apprx 40 ft. to a stop sign and stopped . And waited. Waited more. We finally left, turning left, went apprx 100 ft,. Turned left again going 100 yards. There sat the ship. It would have been so much faster for those of us who could walk(everyone) to just walk to the ship from the shelter as it was in plain site from the shelter.

At Charleston it is land-water-port-ship-you cross from land over water to the port to get on the ship it has to do with federal regulations from what I was told.

On our trip on the Fantasy, we took our 11 year old grand daughter. In Nassau, we visited the Ardastra zoo. Awesome. HMC is beautiful, water and beach crystal clear and clean. Grand Turk, if you don't do an excursion, visit Jack's Shack. Great local food, adult libations and it's inexpensive. Much better than staying and paying at Margaritaville. Also at GT, bring a couple of boxes of Rice Krispy cereal from the lido deck breakfast. Get in the water and add the cereal and watch the fish it attracts. It was awesome to see.

Sent from my XT907 using Forums mobile app