Embark-SF-Car rental return?

garden2

We will embark on the Star 2/7/15-we will be coming early & will rent a car at the Airport (Oakland) for several days & want to return it close to Port. Drop 2 of the group off with luggage then return the car. We took a cruise in 06 from SF & returned Car on Fisherman's Wharf-500 Beach. With the new Cruise terminal-is there a better location to return the car-Avis has one on Fisherman's Wharf-Beach st or another location is 5 Embacadero Center? From what I read on the Post about the new Cruise terminal - it is by At&T Park. So which is closer-we would cab it as opposed to walking, anyway unless one would be next door. Guess I coudl have google Mapped the new cruise terminal-not sure of the address. Thanks!

We will embark on the Star 2/7/15-we will be coming early & will rent a car at the Airport (Oakland) for several days & want to return it close to Port. Drop 2 of the group off with luggage then return the car. We took a cruise in 06 from SF & returned Car on Fisherman's Wharf-500 Beach. With the new Cruise terminal-is there a better location to return the car-Avis has one on Fisherman's Wharf-Beach st or another location is 5 Embacadero Center? From what I read on the Post about the new Cruise terminal - it is by At&T Park. So which is closer-we would cab it as opposed to walking, anyway unless one would be next door. Guess I coudl have google Mapped the new cruise terminal-not sure of the address. Thanks!

Not that close to AT&T park. Much closer to Fisherman's Wharf but not as near as old terminal. Old terminal was pier 35-New Terminal is pier 27. Only odd numbers on that side of the Ferry building so about 4 piers away. 1/2mile +/-. Princess has used pier 30 which is closer to AT&T but unless there are 4 ships in at once I don't think it will get used.

I was looking at doing this same thing too in November. Do you know if Avis will drop you back over at the pier if you return at their Beach Street locaton? What about any other car rentals that will shuttle you back to the pier in downtown or Fishermans wharf area?

Pier 27, the new cruise terminal isn't anywhere near AT&T Park. If you're planning to take a cab anyway after dropping off the rental, might as well drop the rental off at 5 Embarcadero Center, which is actually the Hyatt Regency hotel. Which means there should be plenty of cabs waiting there for you. If you decide to walk instead it's just about a mile to pier 27 from the Hyatt Regency. I don't know if Avis has a shuttle from either location you mention that would take you to the cruise terminal. I've never seen one from 5 Embarcadero Center during the times I've walked by there to visit my DW, who works at 4 Embarcadero Center.

Joe

Probably not entirely relevant to your situation, but the best tip we ever had on the subject of pre-cruise car rental was to drive to the terminal, around 09.30 on embarkation day and hand in your bags, paying the appropriate tip.

Then go and drop the car and have some lunch before returning to check-in and board around 14.00.

Check in is easy as the main rush is over

Bags are waiting in room when you board

No problem of carrying cases from rental drop off

and finally

Taxi is cheaper with no bags

Just remember not to leave your documents in your baggage as you will not be able to get back into the port.

You could drop off your car at the Hyatt or at the Wharf location and take the Muni "F" street car which stops at the Cruise Terminal. Be aware that if you try and drop your bags at 9:30 am the porters are very busy helping people coming off the ship and they may not be able to take your bags. I have arrived at 10:30 for the BVE and it was a challenge to find a porter to take my luggage.

As other people have said it is not near AT & T park. Have you tried Google Street View to give you a better idea of where things are?

Hope everything works out.

Tom:)

We will embark on the Star 2/7/15-we will be coming early & will rent a car at the Airport (Oakland) for several days & want to return it close to Port. Drop 2 of the group off with luggage then return the car.

We also will be departing on the Star on Jan 13, 2013 from SFO and will be dropping off a rental car, hopefully, close to the port. I am looking for any suggestions from locals or past cruisers that have done this in SFO. Thanks for any info or advice.

I am from SF, and the easiest way to get around is to use Uber (app on your phone, available on iPhone and android) much cheaper than a cab and much more reliable. You put your credit card in the app and your card is charged automatically upon completion of the trip, no money changes hands between you and the driver.

Use the UberX option, that is about 1/3-1/2 the price of a cab. Regular Uber is black car service and will be a couple dollars more than a cab, but really nice if you want black car service. Cars in downtown and financial district are usually available in less than 3 minutes. I havent used a cab in SF in 3 years now.

From SFO, only black car service is available and it is a flat $65 from SFO to anywhere in SF

Edited by skrodle

Depending on your mobility, you can drop off the car at the FW location and walk to the pier-It is less than a mile. None of the car rental folks have ever been willing to take me back to the pier. Office is small with cars being returned to a large garage across the street.