New York City excursions

I didn't get any info on NYC excursion either. When are you sailing? We are boarding in Norfolk 5/25. We are going to do a walking tour on our own in NY. I have a AAA book and it has lots of info. We are meeting friends for lunch too. Another thing is to get in touch with Greyline tours and see if you can set one up those are usually very good.

Kathy

Navigator
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

I don't know how long you'll be in New York; but however long it is, I can't imagine why you'd want a shore excursion. Whether you want a museum, a walk, entertainment, shopping, cheap souvenir t-shirts, retaurants, a trip on a boat around Manhattan (about 1/2 mile south of the cruise terminal), the Intrepid (an aircraft carrier next to the ship terminal that has been converted into a museum),or whatever, you can find it in New York without an expensive excursion. Get a guide book and do what you enjoy best.

There are some really fun things to do in NYC and you definitely don't need to do a shore excursion. Go to [url="http://WWW.DigitalCity.Com"]WWW.DigitalCity.Com[/url] and look up things to do for visitors while in NYC. My pick would be for the first time to go to see Times Square and Rockefeller Center and the Empire State Building. My first trip we took a bus tour called Red Apple Tours. You could hop on and off all day to see the sights. Greyline does the same thing, but the buses were double deck and open at the top and it was cold there.

Kathy
6/2/04-Navigator Bermuda
9/22/04-Navigator NYC/Canada
5/03-Mariner - Panama Canal
6/01-Mariner-Alaska Inaugural
5/02-Millennium - Carribbean
12/97-RCCL Splendor of The Seas - Carribbean
1998/1993/1991 RCCL Viking Serenade

Take the big red bus. It is a double decker and you can hop on and hop off any part of the city. It goes all over. We took it and had so much fun seeing everything. Then decided what we wanted to go back see. It took us to Wall Street; Little Italy; China Town; Greenwich Village and all through Central Park and up to Harlem; even over the Brooklyn Bridge. We picked it up in Times Sq. but you can get on all over the city. It is fun! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Judy D.

We did the Bermuda cruise last year and the time fell inside Fleet Week. The traffic was a nightmare. Unless you are really careful with your timing, I wouldn't go further than you can walk. People at the port area were getting dropped off with luggage across the divided highway and dragging their stuff across rather than waiting to try and get around the proper loop. We planned this year just to avoid this.

BTW - Fleet Week this year is May 26 - June 1. I happen to be sailing that week but will be getting on the ship in Norfolk. It will be nice to see the ships though. I'll just make sure we are within walking distance to get back on the ship.

Kathy

Navigator
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

lovetocruise99-

If you are on the 5/25 sailing there are some of us from this board that are getting together on 5/27 (at sea day) at 2pm in the Navigator Lounge deck 6. None of us have met before so it should be fun to meet others that post on this board. Please stop by and meet us if you are interested.

Enjoy your cruise.

Kathy

Navigator

We are on the May 18 sailing out of Norfolk but have not seen any postings for anyone going on that date but we'd love to meet anyone taking this cruise. We also wondered what to do in New York - the red bus sounds really good - can you get it anywhere near the pier???

The Red Bus is Red Apple Tours. We did the tour about 4 years ago. One thing you want to be mindful of is that it really is an all day tour. It runs about every 1/2 hour at each stop. You can get on and off, but, allow yourself time to get back to the ship. Rush hour traffic and to catch a cab in Manhattan can be a real surprise. We ate dinner one night before we had theatre tickets for Lion King and we could not get a cab from Rockefeller Center!. We had to start walking and just made curtain - we were a few miles from the theatre.

Kathy
6/2/04-Navigator Bermuda
9/22/04-Navigator NYC/Canada
5/03-Mariner - Panama Canal
6/01-Mariner-Alaska Inaugural
5/02-Millennium - Carribbean
12/97-RCCL Splendor of The Seas - Carribbean
1998/1993/1991 RCCL Viking Serenade

Archived