Another luggage question

Zeno

We prefer to carry our own luggage on board (as opposed to getting it delivered to our cabin).

Can anyone tell me what the maximum size is for carry-on luggage on HAL?

None of our suitcases are big - but I would rate one as medium sized (about 32 inches by 24 inches).

Thx for any info.

32 x 24 sounds pretty big to me. Our small is 19" and our big is 25" so I'm guessing that a 32 x 24 may not fit through the screening machine. I wish I had the size but others will know... m--

Calling Copper 10-8... are you 10-8 today?

We prefer to carry our own luggage on board (as opposed to getting it delivered to our cabin).

Can anyone tell me what the maximum size is for carry-on luggage on HAL?

None of our suitcases are big - but I would rate one as medium sized (about 32 inches by 24 inches).

Thx for any info.

Most baggage manufacturers and airlines would classify a 32" x 24" suitcase in the LARGE or EXTRA-LARGE category. Absolutely will not go through a standard airport scanner.

Completely agree! Anything 28 to 32 inches is considered Large..

Medium is 24-26 inches..

Carry on is 8-22 inches

For sure Airline luggage scanners will take baggage up to 60 inches total, but that is the sum of all three sides when fully packed, such as a 29 inch length by 20 inches wide by 11 inches deep..

Actually don't know if the cruise scanners will take a larger bag.. Believe your bag will be about 68 inches when packed up to 12 inches deep.. ( 32 X 24 X 12) total 68 inches is def. considered large or X-large....

Then again you would be required to pick it up & place it on the scanner.. Will it weigh more than 50 or 60 lbs & are you sure you will be able to handle that weight?

Perhaps you should contact HAL with your question? In over 30 years of travel I've never had problems checking our extra large bags..

As a matter of fact we had one bag your size for our 68 day cruise in 2013 ... HAL picked up 4 of our suitcases two weeks prior to our departure & stored them in the cruise terminal.. I was very nervous, but all the bags arrived safe & intact!

Edited by serendipity1499

Just found something on this WEB site about Carnival checked luggage: Each person is limited to 2 bags each ..

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/p/204159/1072247.aspx

They say a piece should not be more than 16 inches high & 24 inches wide..

There is no restriction to length.. However they also state it should not weigh more than 50 Lbs..

This is a quote from that WEB site:

Quote Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions). Please attach your Carnival Cruise Lines luggage tags PRIOR to leaving home and make sure that they are still on your bags when checking in with us. In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions). This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags. Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage Unquote

Hope this helps..

Edited by serendipity1499

Well - DUH - me! I measured the bag WRONG (don't ask - I feel like an idiot) - it's actually about 22 inches long by 16 inches wide - so I think I am OK.

Thx for answering everyone

• 2 weeks later...

When I check-in will my cabin be ready for me to dump my carry-on item in it or maybe not? Thanks :)

On HAL it will be ... not on some other lines, like Disney for example. We've had a couple of cases where boarding was delayed until about Noon because not all cabins were ready. Edited by jtl513

On HAL it will be ... not on some other lines, like Disney for example. We've had a couple of cases where boarding was delayed until about Noon because not all cabins were ready.

Thanks! Have a garment bag I figured I should carry-on since it has the hangers out the top and a backpack. Don't want to have to carry them around all day