Kings Court QM2 - Pizza and Pasta and alternative dining options

Gazroberts80

I know this is a rather trivial topic but I've got to say that I really enjoyed the Pasta and Pizza bar on QV. The pizzas in particular were excellent and the staff extremely accommodating allowing customer creativity when it came to toppings. I was therefore disappointed to read that QM2 doesn't offer the 7 minute, cooked to order pizza experience! The few reviews I've seen have suggested the pizza served in the Kings Court is like cardboard with topping! So please excuse me a few questions; What are the pizza and pasta offerings like of a day in the Kings Court? Is La Piazza worth a try as an alternative evening dining experience, also would anyone strongly recommend any of the other alternative dining options on board? If the Pizza and Pasta options aren't up to QV/QE standards, does anyone have any recommendations of lunchtime indulgences worth sampling in the Kings Court? (I've heard the layout is confusing so I'd hate to miss any hidden gems :) ) I am a big fan of the Golden Lion's pub lunches so will definitely be working my way through their menu if the Kings Court can't deliver, before dining in Britannia in the evening :) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Gazroberts80

I know this is a rather trivial topic but I've got to say that I really enjoyed the Pasta and Pizza bar on QV. The pizzas in particular were excellent and the staff extremely accommodating allowing customer creativity when it came to toppings. I was therefore disappointed to read that QM2 doesn't offer the 7 minute, cooked to order pizza experience! The few reviews I've seen have suggested the pizza served in the Kings Court is like cardboard with topping! So please excuse me a few questions; What are the pizza and pasta offerings like of a day in the Kings Court? Is La Piazza worth a try as an alternative evening dining experience, also would anyone strongly recommend any of the other alternative dining options on board? If the Pizza and Pasta options aren't up to QV/QE standards, does anyone have any recommendations of lunchtime indulgences worth sampling in the Kings Court? (I've heard the layout is confusing so I'd hate to miss any hidden gems :) ) I am a big fan of the Golden Lion's pub lunches so will definitely be working my way through their menu if the Kings Court can't deliver, before dining in Britannia in the evening :) :)
Hi Gazroberts80,

I've not tried the pizzas on either QV or QM2 (as far as I can remember), but have always enjoyed the Golden Lion lunches on QM2 (a special favourite right after a trivia quiz) and the "cooked to order" food (not just burgers available) from the Chefs Galley (starboard side aft corner in the Kings Court Deck 7). This Chefs Galley is usually quieter than the main Kings Court. I am also a fan of lunch in the MDR on sea days, get there early for a window seat.

Hope this helps :) .

Edited by pepperrn

With all the complaints about Kings Court....the set up isn't exactly ideal but a ship load of people manage to get well fed there every day. I would suggest that you take the time to walk completely around the entire area to familiarize yourself. Sadly, most passengers go there upon boarding so it is a zoo and hard to maneuver since many are unfamiliar.

I have gone many times and been quite impressed with the speciality items offered....mostly in the two circular salad bars.

They used to have pizza in the warmer by the piece, which I thought was quite good. Then they had the personal pizza station in the Chefs Galley in the evenings. It was the most unorganized thing I've ever seen. The man who made the pizzas spoke no English and the girl who took the orders didn't know what she was doing......mixed up the orders....gave people the wrong pizzas....and they told you to come back in 30 min, at which time you got a cold pizza. I don't know how long that lasted but we only had that on one trip.

Personally, overall, I think they do a very good job.....some trips better than others. On some trips the serving staff has been downright surly....on others, you walk away thinking how friendly and helpful they are. Then again, a lot of the passengers they have to deal aren't exactly a treat either. :)

Pepperrn can I also thank you for those fantastic photographs you've shared. I love spending many hours taking photographs of the ship and have worked my way through all your Cunard sets on Flickr. They have given me some great ideas about Camera angles to use to capture the shear splendour of the ship! In the run up to my B2B on the 20th August on QM2, I find myself returning on a daily basis to your Flickr page! Your pictures have also made me add QE to my must sail list!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Gazroberts80

bear with me....on the QM2 there is a grill on deck 9 ? that is kind of small ,is serves an outdoor area.it is toward the rear of the ship and usually not very busy ....burgers/hotdogs/fries/drinks etc.imho the pasta/pizza service is better on the QE than the QM2

bear with me....on the QM2 there is a grill on deck 9 ? that is kind of small ,is serves an outdoor area.it is toward the rear of the ship and usually not very busy ....burgers/hotdogs/fries/drinks etc.imho the pasta/pizza service is better on the QE than the QM2

Wouldn't that be on deck 12?

The only time we've ever found the Boardwalk Cafe open was on the Caribbean trips......or for others, probably on all warmer climate trips. I've only managed it once....but I thought the food was very good.

I agree on the opening terms but certainly not the "food"-preparation classification. Whoever likes to eat this must have survived a year in the brasilian jungle or a daily pastrami sandwich at a Manhattan street corner.

Cunardaddict....I've come on board having survived my own cooking but I thought the Hamburger and fries were very good. I also admit to not being overly critical....but if I'm floating around the Caribbean on the QM2, in the dead of winter......I'm pretty good to go. :D

Pepperrn can I also thank you for those fantastic photographs you've shared. I love spending many hours taking photographs of the ship and have worked my way through all your Cunard sets on Flickr. They have given me some great ideas about Camera angles to use to capture the shear splendour of the ship! In the run up to my B2B on the 20th August on QM2, I find myself returning on a daily basis to your Flickr page! Your pictures have also made me add QE to my must sail list!
Hi Gazroberts80,

Thank you for your very kind words :o , much appreciated :) . I hope that the photos have helped you find your way around QM2, even before you board on the 20th! The QM2 remains my favourite of the four Cunard ships I've sailed on, however QE is superb and I intend to return to her for a cruise next year.

I shall look forward to seeing your photographs of QM2 after you've returned from your B2B, I board her for a mini-cruise as you disembark in Southampton. I'm sure you'll come home with some stunning photographs of the world's greatest liner.

Thank you very much again, you've been very kind, have a wonderful time on QM2, Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

I'm basically a simple meat-and-veg girl. Some things I enjoyed at the buffet: most of the carved meats were good. Vegetables were not overcooked for the most part. Don't miss the lamb stew if you come across it. It had a great fancy name...but it was lamb stew. And delicious. Fresh dragonfruit should be snagged right away, as it seems to run out quickly. Afternoon tea at Kings Court isn't as crowded as the other place (Queens Room?) and is the same food. I preferred it, others who prefer to be served feel differently. I hope you have a great time.

With all the complaints about Kings Court....the set up isn't exactly ideal but a ship load of people manage to get well fed there every day. I would suggest that you take the time to walk completely around the entire area to familiarize yourself. Sadly, most passengers go there upon boarding so it is a zoo and hard to maneuver since many are unfamiliar.

I have gone many times and been quite impressed with the speciality items offered....mostly in the two circular salad bars.

On our crossing this spring, I discovered that one of those circular salad bars had guacamole. It may have been too mild for some tastes, but I loved it. Salad, guac, and chips became my standard lunch.

Cunardaddict....I've come on board having survived my own cooking but I thought the Hamburger and fries were very good. I also admit to not being overly critical....but if I'm floating around the Caribbean on the QM2, in the dead of winter......I'm pretty good to go. :D

I love the way you look at things!

On our crossing this spring, I discovered that one of those circular salad bars had guacamole. It may have been too mild for some tastes, but I loved it. Salad, guac, and chips became my standard lunch.

We had the guacamole on our May crossing also. I also enjoy the Stilton, smoked salmon, and the grapes that were the size of small apples.

We had the guacamole on our May crossing also. I also enjoy the Stilton, smoked salmon, and the grapes that were the size of small apples.

We have a local law from 1741 that does not allow to feed the servants with salmon more than 3 times a week.

Thanks.......my grandmother used to say not to eat eel because they feed off the dead bodies in the Elbe. Of course she also said that wearing mini skirts caused bladder infections. :)

I have never eaten eel after I read "Die Blechtrommel" from Nobel Prize author Guenter Grass.

I agree on the opening terms but certainly not the "food"-preparation classification. Whoever likes to eat this must have survived a year in the brasilian jungle or a daily pastrami sandwich at a Manhattan street corner.

The cafe is open on warmer days and non windy days

German style saukraut 😚 is also served

People do ignore the fact that it is French, not German.

Maybe you should inform Wikipedia so that this entry can be correct:

"...Today, two of the most well-known instances of traditional fermented cabbage side dishes are sauerkraut and Korean kimchi.[7] The Roman writers Cato (in his De Agri Cultura) and Columella (in his De re Rustica) mentioned preserving cabbages and turnips with salt. It is believed to have been introduced to Europe in its present form 1,000 years later by Genghis Khan after invading China.[8][9] The Tartars took it in their saddlebags to Europe. There it took root mostly in Eastern European and Germanic cuisines, but also in other countries including France, where the name became choucroute.[10]..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut